Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old IRA County Clare

Options
  • 26-05-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I dont know if anyone here could point me in the right direction. I am trying to research the history and involvement of one particular man with the 'Old' IRA circa 1929 - 1949 or so. I am talking about West Clare in particular.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give!
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hi Shane:
    couple of suggestions - he may have been interned during the Second World War, and if so there may be some material about him at Military Archives, Cathal Brugha Barracks, Rathmines in Dublin.
    Another slim possibility of specific information, but possibly useful in terms of context would be a recently-formed history/heritage group in Clare: http://www.clarememories.ie/
    You may also have referred to the work of David Fitzpatrick - although based on an earlier period, his work might offer some leads.
    Also Uinseann MacEoin's 'IRA in the Twilight Years' is very useful and is indexed - good luck in your researches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Shane,

I was speaking with an old aunt one day looking for IRA men in the family so she gave me a few names as well as the names of two Cumann na mBan women. I subsequently went into the archives of The Irish Times and found articles where two of the men appeared for IRA membership as late as the 1940s. So that could be an idea.

If you are in university, you can get access to the archive through your uni account. Alternatively, you should be able to get access through your local library. If all else fails, the National Library of Ireland should have him recorded. You could email David Fitzpatrick in Trinity who, as you probably know, wrote a standard text in the 1970s about the War of Independence in Clare. It can be read here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=reQd7eTnUXgC&pg=PA172&dq=%22david+fitzpatrick%22+clare&ei=RLpGSqPCFYTuzATZ_5lf

He can give you some advice on tracing him. I surmise you are already talking to old people who remember him?

Advertisement