Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a GFCI ground fault circuit interrupter

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

Just bought a pool, its about 10ft diameter, not a hottub or anythings, its just more a big paddleing pool.

Its come with a filter but the safety notice states that it must be plugged into a 'GFCI ground fault circuit interrupter' and not a regular extension lead, anyone know where i can get such a thing, either online or perhaps Woodies etc ?

Cheers

Colm
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

AFAIK a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter" is an American term for an "RCD" or "Residual Current Devcie".

The name suggests that it "interrupts" a circuit (in other words switches off) in the event of a fault current flowing to "ground" (or earth). That is exactly what an RCD does. It is normal to use such a device when electricity is used with water (such as a shower).

You would buy this device in all electrical wholesalers. Dont go to Woodies, they will either sell you crap or rip you off! If you need one installed it is a job for an electrician Im afraid!

You may not need one though, in Ireland it has been a regulation that all socket circuits must be protected by such a device for quite a few years now. So if your lead is plugged into a circuit protected by an RCD you are OK.

You can check in your distribution board (fuse board) to see if you have one. They look like MCBs (breakers) except they have a test button on them.

H5.1.3_rcd.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Simple option

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/rcd-1/rcd-plug-in/dp/PL10306?MER=e-bb45-00001001
    but it might get plugged out

Simple option just requiring changing the plugtop

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/rcd2-uk/rcd-adaptor-rewireable/dp/PL10473

Can't get plugged and does not require live work at all

As above, most socket circuits have them,

If they dont you could
    try either of the first options
    change the socket feeding the unit to an RCD socket
    fit an Inline RCD unit
    Fit a plug top with built in RCD

etc.

Don't go for something cheapo though, but changing the socket or the inline one might be something an average joe with some experience could handle, but not fuseboard work

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1001903&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=rcd&Ntx=

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

Hi there,

Thanks for the details explaination, damm yankies confusing me, my house fuse box comes with an RDC switch that im sure, so if im using the wall socket I take it i should be ok ?

Regards

Colm

2011 wrote: »
    AFAIK a "Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter" is an American term for an "RCD" or "Residual Current Devcie".

The name suggests that it "interrupts" a circuit (in other words switches off) in the event of a fault current flowing to "ground" (or earth). That is exactly what an RCD does. It is normal to use such a device when electricity is used with water (such as a shower).

You would buy this device in all electrical wholesalers. Dont go to Woodies, they will either sell you crap or rip you off! If you need one installed it is a job for an electrician Im afraid!

You may not need one though, in Ireland it has been a regulation that all socket circuits must be protected by such a device for quite a few years now. So if your lead is plugged into a circuit protected by an RCD you are OK.

You can check in your distribution board (fuse board) to see if you have one. They look like MCBs (breakers) except they have a test button on them.

H5.1.3_rcd.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

my house fuse box comes with an RDC switch that im sure, so if im using the wall socket I take it i should be ok ?
    Yes. just verify that the RCD does protect the sockets. Do this by plugging something into the socket you want to use, then turn off the RCD and see that the socket goes off. If so you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you press the test button rather than turn it off you are verifying that the RCD is actually working and will provide protection in the event of a fault.

Actually, the RCD in your CU should be tested regularly but very few people do this in my experience.

• Advertisement

Actually, the RCD in your CU should be tested regularly but very few people do this in my experience.

It should be tested every 3 months to prevent "stiction". Failure to do this can cause your RCD not to operate when it should. As you say, very few people do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

OP, If this is an American product make sure to check the voltage before connecting up.

Advertisement