Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIGs Investigation: Duncannon Fort - 6th June

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

n80481487573_5781.jpg

Investigation in Duncannon Fort, Co. Wexford on June 6th!

Arriving 8pm on Saturday - leaving by 11am on Sunday - We will be finishing up the Investigation at 3am and winding down for the night.

Cost: €50

Items which people should bring:
    - Warm clothes - Please note that items of clothing/footware with reflective stripes etc can affect photographs when a flash is used.
    - Notebook and pen
    - flashlight
    - Watch

Very Important, if anyone suffers from asthma, epilepsy or anything else please bring any medication you need and let me know in advance. Last thing we need is someone dropping to the ground in convultions and someone jumping in with a do-it-yourself exorcism!

And now over to Dre as in Dray for more details :D

Comments

Well you pretty much covered everthing there 6th .

I am not going to give away anything about the place but i have been there a few times now.There is actually so much to the place that i dont want to give too much away .
    All i can say if anybody goes they are really going to enjoy it . Lots of people so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Whats the story with sleeping, is it a camping job or is there a floor with a roof over it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Dre knows more on this but there is a room for sleeping in but I dont know what the room is like or if there are beds. Some people are going with camping ... me for 1.

You actually have a choice. There will be one of the houses in the barricks free to sleep. You can also bring a Tent and sleep outside its up to you.

If you are coming from Dublin like the rest of us. Lifts will be provided .

Sleeping bag will be needed.

Food will also be available on the night . We are thinking BBQ in the fort itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im camping. Ill have a two man tent. Hint.

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote: »
    Im camping. Ill have a two man tent. Hint.

There we go, now the hint is alot clearer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

As much as I'd love to go, I can't... sorry guys. Have fun though Grimes ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Duncannon Eh??

are ye going to be examinin any of the other freaky stuff in the area????

Loftus Hall springs to mind, and Templetown, and Poulfur, and Jaysus there'd be some list if you asked a few locals about the wierdness going on down that end of the country

Well its a 1 day (overnight trip) so best to concentrate on one area/site. We've full access to the Fort including the underground Croppy Boy Cells so its a big job to cover it all.

Besides I think any spare time will be used to work on our tans if this weather keeps up :D

DuncannonFort519x353.jpg

Amazing location.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 zerotolerance

Ziycon wrote: »
    Whats the story with sleeping, is it a camping job or is there a floor with a roof over it anywhere?

I will be there with bells on. Would advise Ziycon to bring a large blow up mattress as he ended up on the floor at Charleville after miscalculating how many times you can roll over on a single mattress :D. I will be camping this time round.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Tis an amazin location alright, most people I know fromn the area learnt to drive on that beach:)

Seriously tho, you should chat with some of the locals in Duncannon, they will give you mountains of leads to follow up.

y'know somewhere thats always freaked me out is out on the hook peninsula, worth a cruise along if nothing else before yer evenin starts.

We've a fair bit of local knowledge at our disposal already. Its not the first time we've been down there but Drey ca fill in on that.

I just know that after this happens we'll get people posting saying they wish they'd seen this thread before the investigation .... yep, thats a prediction ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I wont be there lads, sorry to let everyone down ;) I know I'm a very popular guy on these things, my lack of any additional senses almost setting me aside. It should be a happy environment without me shouting at people and telling people to shut up.
    I'm already cringing thinking of the birds nest of cables that's going to arrive back for muggins to get ready for the next adventure.

I hope it's a great night, I bet something will happen this time, Murphy's law. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

Hi 6th, cheers for the offer but I'm busy next week :( , Thats one place I'd love to go.

Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Logan wrote: »
    Hi 6th, cheers for the offer but I'm busy next week :( , Thats one place I'd love to go.

Cheers

hi Logan,

Drey has another one in the pipes for here soon too.

Stoner wrote: »
    I wont be there lads, sorry to let everyone down ;) I know I'm a very popular guy on these things, my lack of any additional senses almost setting me aside. It should be a happy environment without me shouting at people and telling people to shut up.
    I'm already cringing thinking of the birds nest of cables that's going to arrive back for muggins to get ready for the next adventure.

I hope it's a great night, I bet something will happen this time, Murphy's law. :)

Not to worry about the birds nest of cables, i will take your part for the evening and shout at the lads :eek:. Now just to make sure you know the ultraviolet light is in one piece and i will bring it down to the fort, but if it goes back in any other condition it was Dre's fault.;)

Not to worry about the birds nest of cables, i will take your part for the evening and shout at the lads :eek:. Now just to make sure you know the ultraviolet light is in one piece and i will bring it down to the fort, but if it goes back in any other condition it was Dre's fault.;)

Oh no I can feel a shout building up already!!!!!!!

ITS NOT ULTRAVIOLET IT'S INFRARED!!!! ultraviolet is the one they check the sheets with, and 6th belly.

on a serious note thank you, i know you know what it is and how it works and all will be good.

Stoner wrote: »
    Oh no I can feel a shout building up already!!!!!!!

ITS NOT ULTRAVIOLET IT'S INFRARED!!!! ultraviolet is the one they check the sheets with, and 6th belly.

on a serious note thank you, i know you know what it is and how it works and all will be good.

Sorry about that i do know its an INFRARED, I've just read the writing on the side of the thing:(. I could almost feel the heat from your angered red face, but in my defence i am blonde :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you are going to Duncannon then you must visit Loftus Hall on the Hook Head pennesula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Hall

• Advertisement

Loftus Hall was sold a few months back so while we could wander over and look at the outside of the building theres not really anything to be gained by it. Loftus has a story attached to it ... and old one. Places like Duncannan have people working in them everyday so the reports are up to date and we get to talk to the people who are having tehm as opposed to things like "my friend's granny's milkman saw a shadow".

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Hey,

I'm always reading this forum but never posted, Is this sort of thing open for anyone to go?

In other words, I would love to but have no previous experience at all, Other then imagination ;)

Anyone is free to go and no experience is required. Just drop me a PM - all we ask is that people dont pull out last minute.

If anybody has any questions about it or needs lifts or directions, please just send me a PM .

Seriously looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Is there many people going?

About 16 afaik.

Just an arial view of the fort:

Fort002.jpg

I guarantee anybody that goes is going to love this one. There is a great athmosphere to the place and great history .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I go past Duncannon on my boat all the time. Lovely spot.

A brief bit of history of the fort - When Cromwell invaded Ireland, his siege was defended because of his inability to capture Duncannon fort and he had to call the siege off. It originally was controlled by the English, but Thomas Preston lead an assault on the fort and captured it.

I know the picture quality is crap, but here's a shot from my boat :)

6.jpg

Advertisement