Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating shorter-term lease than advertised

Options
  • 26-05-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a short-term place to rent from June-August, however there aren't as many going on daft as there are for 12 month leases. My question is are EA's generally willing to negotiate a shorter term lease on a place that's advertised for 12 months? Would it be a possibiity in the current climate? Or is it a case where people just take a 12 month lease, then give 28 days notice one month before the lease is up (if staying less than 6 months)? Not sure what the general thing done is in these cases, so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

If you sign a fixed term lease for 12 months you have no right to serve 28 days notice and quit. In the case of leaving early your deposit is likely to be forfeited. So most people looking for short term would not take this route. I think it's better to be upfront about your planned length of stay.

I was recently looking for somewhere short term myself, and I did consider approaching agents/landlords and offering to rent it for a couple of months. You should definitely consider it, however I'd recommend stating your intentions from the outset. In the current environment a bird in the hand might appeal to many LLs, and you've nothing to lose by asking. If you do give it a go, please come back and tell us how it was received.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Hi,

I'm looking for a short-term place to rent from June-August, however there aren't as many going on daft as there are for 12 month leases. My question is are EA's generally willing to negotiate a shorter term lease on a place that's advertised for 12 months? Would it be a possibiity in the current climate? Or is it a case where people just take a 12 month lease, then give 28 days notice one month before the lease is up (if staying less than 6 months)? Not sure what the general thing done is in these cases, so any help appreciated.

hi where you looking to rent we signed 12 month lease looking to end it in june?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi bugler, thanks for your advice. Yeah, I presumed renenging on the lease by giving a month's notice would forfeit the deposit. I'd rather be upfront instead of complicating things. Anyway, I'll ask around and see if any LL's are interested. Thanks for your help. waster81, it's Kildare/Leixlip, or Dublin/Lucan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

No harm in asking, they might ask for a slightly higher rent, but may be happy if its not in a high demand area.

Advertisement