Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious boat at Dublin Quays.

Options
  • 26-05-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

I was ambling along the quays this sunny Sunday with my girlfriend when we approached a huge white sail boat called Lagos Hope. There was a big sign on the front saying "come on board" and a stream of people climbing the gangway into the ship. There was nothing (that we could see) on any signs as to exactly what the ship was or why they would want your to come on board. I quite like big ships so we decided to pay the €1 each "donation" to board and check it out.

Coming down the staircase we entered a small cinema with a film playing. A crew person dressed in some sort of costume told us that we could sit and watch it, but we moved on without paying much attention. To the right of the seats was a doorway, and inside were two bunk beds. There was a person asleep in one and another person sitting at a desk on a computer, with a little rope in front of them both. There were clothes scattered around and a sign saying "please come talk to us". This is all a bit odd, we said to each other.

Further down was a big poster that had some text about the ship travelling to various continents with pictures of African children etc. I didn't really read it, and was about to move on, when my girlfriend pointed out the words "God" and "worship". Ah.

In front of us was a huge book shop. We wandered in. The place was packed wall-to-wall with books about God, religion, spirituality etc. They had children's books about farmyard animals as well as posters of the periodic table (?). There were probably about a hundred people browsing the books who all looked like they knew the place. After passing the ninth book case in the "Christian life" section, we both felt a bit weirded out and decided to leave.

I have since found a thread about this boat in the Christianity forum, but I think my question is more appropriate to this board. Has this happened to anyone else?

A few minutes before we boarded this boat, we passed another sail boat that was set-up to give disabled people an opportunity to sail the sea. At any one time half of the crew are disabled, with up to six wheelchair users helping to run the ship. We dumped whatever small change we had in our pockets into their donations bucket. After coming out of the religious ship we realised that we'd actually given more money to them than to the charity ship. I must say that we felt a bit misled. I'm still not sure if we were, though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

the name is a dead give away to be honest ... Logos Hope.

It's been in the news a bit too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, I meant to go down and have a look around the thing. It's been moored there, fishing for souls, for the last fortnight. Not sure how successful they've been, but they seem to have no shortage of money from what I could see when I drove past on Sunday evening.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The_christian_pirate.jpg

Don't suppose they were flying this flag?

The whole thing sounds a bit odd to me, I wonder people would react to a boat coming in trying to spread islam?

The charity boat deserves much more attention by the sounds of it,be interesting to see how much attention it's getting as opposed to the holy one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Logos Hope is an anagram of "Ooh Gospel!" :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dades wrote: »

Slow day? :D

• Advertisement

We've been worshipping boats the past few days here in Galway
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571037
    All night vigils, ritual music - the whole hog.

We've been worshipping boats the past few days here in Galway
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055571037
    All night vigils, ritual music - the whole hog.

So i hear, gutted i missed kila on the saturday night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sounds like a job for pirates. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Wow, didn't realise that's what their deal is. I was down looking at the Calatrava bridge during the week and went over for a peek at the ship but thought it was just a cruise liner. Sounds very odd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Now that I think of it, how come a boat? Didn't the main man walk on water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »

This is awesome.

Have we any idea what breed of Christians these guys are? Is their mission proselytizing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Zillah wrote: »
    Have we any idea what breed of Christians these guys are? Is their mission proselytizing?

Here's the crew (and the aforementioned costumes) :

multicultural.jpg

Their website says:
    Over 37 million people in 142 different countries have walked up an OM Ship gangway to visit one of the floating book fairs. For many, it is their first ever opportunity to purchase good quality literature at a fraction of the retail value. From car manual to children’s novel to cook book, many without the means to study, have learnt vital skills and been able to enhance their lives through a purchase from over 6,000 available titles.

As well, the ships are a hotbed of cultural variety, where five continents meet on 12,000 tonnes of steel. For volunteer crew they provide a life-impacting training programme, sharing experiences with a wide range of people around the world, as well as learning valuable skills and broadening their horizons. For visitors, interactive programmes provide fresh perspectives on the breadth of life in this large world.

So basically they're a massive floating religious bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have been on and met people years ago from both the Logos II and their other ship Doulos.
    Back when I was religious I even thought of joining up :D

This Logos Hope is a different ship though as the other two are grey, its either new or another group but I would say its the same group (OM) just a newer ship so after my time as a Christian.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

eightyfish wrote: »
    Here's the crew (and the aforementioned costumes) :
    Move over the Village People!

That is one massive boat, though. You'd never run that selling books alone. I wonder what they're smuggling...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Now that I think of it, how come a boat?

Because teh atheists have taken control of all the buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 irishgandalf

Galvasean wrote: »
    Because teh atheists have taken control of all the buses.

i lold

Advertisement