Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student, refused dole! Options?

Options
  • 26-05-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Went down this morning to enquire about getting the dole, or some money to do me till i go back to college in september but was refused. Wouldnt even give me enough to get my haircut! :( So what are my options? I cant scab off my father as he's on an invalidity(sp?) pension. He claims 26 quid for me but i'll never see that anyway its part of the "rent" says he. I really need sponujulas. Im not a greedy guy just need enough to do me. People on the dole are getting 200 a week i'd be happy with 200 a month! I was thinking of going down town and begging for money - give the aul romanians some competition! Or maybe colour my face black or something and demand money for a new bed or setee! What about the healthboard, can they give me a few quid? Or what about my persons bond that's floating on this sea of commerce, how do i access this? Isnt it the states duty to look after the welfare of my person!? ANyway, any advice would be greatful :)

Comments

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    Went down this morning to enquire about getting the dole, or some money to do me till i go back to college in september but was refused. Wouldnt even give me enough to get my haircut! :( So what are my options? I cant scab off my father as he's on an invalidity(sp?) pension. He claims 26 quid for me but i'll never see that anyway its part of the "rent" says he. I really need sponujulas. Im not a greedy guy just need enough to do me. People on the dole are getting 200 a week i'd be happy with 200 a month! I was thinking of going down town and begging for money - give the aul romanians some competition! Or maybe colour my face black or something and demand money for a new bed or setee! What about the healthboard, can they give me a few quid? Or what about my bond that's floating on this sea of commerce, how do i access this? ANyway, any advice would be greatful :)

If a black person was in your position they wouldn't get the dole either. No need a be an arse about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If a black person was in your position they wouldn't get the dole either. No need a be an arse about it.

was only kidding, wasnt intending to be racist was just quoting the average steriotypical guy down at the dole queue! In fact i didnt even mention the words black person! :D Anyway, was actually pretty weird being down there, a lot of people down there looked like the type who never even worked in their life; you know those type who like to stand outside a pub waiting for it to open. I hated every second of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

People on the dole are getting 200 a week i'd be happy with 200 a month! I was thinking of going down town and begging for money - give the aul romanians some competition! Or maybe colour my face black or something and demand money for a new bed or setee!

Try making that 200 cover rent, bills, food, clothes even the cheapest pair of shoes eventually needs to be replaced, that factor putting money aside in case something else comes up.

Find yourself a job and don't say there's none out there, invest in a bucket, bottle of washing up liquid, and a ladder, then go out cleaning windows or maybe find someone selling off a petrol mower and start cutting people grass.

Gillo wrote: »
    Try making that 200 cover rent, bills, food, clothes even the cheapest pair of shoes eventually needs to be replaced, that factor putting money aside in case something else comes up.

fair enough, but i only need enough to live, i have a simple life so 200-500 quid a month will do me :)
    Find yourself a job and don't say there's none out there, invest in a bucket, bottle of washing up liquid, and a ladder, then go out cleaning windows or maybe find someone selling off a petrol mower and start cutting people grass.

aye there's lots of jobs out there - just not available :pac:

as i already said i dont even have enough money for a haircut so where am i gonna get those items you said! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Grrrrr!!

Would you go out and ask about for Jobs!!

A student isnt eligable for any jobseekers allowence so quit your winging and get on with looking for a job to make yourself that 200 a month your looking for.

Check out www.fas.ie - there are ads coming up for term time for the civil service in some areas - thats 444 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

dlambirl wrote: »
    Novel idea, imagine asking for a job, it's easy you just gotta get out and get looking, hit the FAS office every morning the more you pimp yourself the more you'll find something. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's easy, but hey you gotta try.

dlambirl wrote: »
    Grrrrr!!

A student isnt eligable for any jobseekers allowence so quit your winging and get on with looking for a job to make yourself that 200 a month your looking for.

Check out www.fas.ie - there are ads coming up for term time for the civil service in some areas - thats 444 per week.

i have went out looking for jobs. im not winging, and its not about being just eligable for jobseekers allowance i need money to survive and considering my options.

thanks i'll have a look at those fas course:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The only students who are entitled to claim the dole during the summer are those on back to education allowance as far as I know.

Were you actually expecting to be given the dole?

You're in the same situation everyone else was when they were in college. Count yourself lucky that you have someone paying your way through. Some of us had to work and pay our own way through college and then keep it up the day job and get another one during the summer to save up enough for the next college year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Do people not have part time jobs while in college anymore?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The only students who are entitled to claim the dole during the summer are those on back to education allowance as far as I know.

Were you actually expecting to be given the dole?

You're in the same situation everyone else was when they were in college. Count yourself lucky that you have someone paying your way through. Some of us had to work and pay our own way through college and then keep it up the day job and get another one during the summer to save up enough for the next college year.

no one is actually paying my way through college imho, if you understand how the financial system works. Money is only created out of debt. If there are was no loans then there would be no money in circulation. Even though the grant is awesome it still nags my conscience because this money was borrowed from the ECB (with interest!). And because of this it will have devestating effects on our children and their children as the burden of debt will be on them. I might aswell claim the dole before we reach the exponential curve and we'd be needing wheelbarrows of coins to buy a loaf of bread :pac:

• Advertisement

no one is actually paying my way through college imho, if you understand how the financial system works. Money is only created out of debt. If there are was no loans then there would be no money in circulation. Even though the grant is awesome it still nags my conscience because this money was borrowed from the ECB (with interest!). And because of this it will have devestating effects on our children and their children as the burden of debt will be on them. I might aswell claim the dole before we reach the exponential curve and we'd be needing wheelbarrows of coins to buy a loaf of bread :pac:

And the money from the dole is just magicked out of the air?

If you want to do your best to ease the burden of debt then try your damnest to get a job.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And the money from the dole is just magicked out of the air?

If you want to do your best to ease the burden of debt then try your damnest to get a job.

it is, where else do you think it's created. That's my point so i might aswell claim to what im entitled before the coming collapse.

I'd love a job, but even with a job the money that you're paid in came from borrowed money. And then you have to pay a portion of that back to the government called income tax where they then use to pay off the massive loans and bailouts they took out.

If you really want to know whether im talking out of my arse or not go into a bank and ask them where they get their money from.

And you're actually making the debt worse by paying it back because figure this out.... im a bank, i loan you 10 promisery notes, with 10% interest, that means you now have to pay me back 11. If you only have 10 where do you get the extra 1 from? You have to borrow more off me so you can its a continuely downward spiral. A economic boom is when banks give out credit and a depression is when they call it back in. Ever since the bretton woods agreement, they got rid of the gold standard allowing them to print money out of thin air, we were used as collateral and each one of us has a bond attached to us. When you go into a bank and take out a loan, you are already paying the bank for that 10,000k loan with your signature because with out that signature they cannot create that money. And now that they have it created they sell it on or disposit it in other banks. THis is called fractional reserve banking. THey're commiting fraud. If anyone who is reading this is being hassled by bailiffs i think it's imperative you read this http://freemanireland.ning.com/forum/topics/credit-cards-no-need-to-pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

blah de blah de blah...

get a ****ing job. ;)

it is, where else do you think it's created. That's my point so i might aswell claim to what im entitled before the coming collapse.

But you're not entitled to the dole so you better suck it up and look for a job.

All this talk of 'but that money is borrowed too and we're all contributing to the economic collapse' might fly down the Student's Union but it's not going to make a difference to your money problems in the real world.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

passive wrote: »
    blah de blah de blah...

get a ****ing job. ;)

Infracted.

Any further unhelpful posts by anyone in this thread will earn a week's ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Xiney wrote: »
    Infracted.

Any further unhelpful posts by anyone in this thread will earn a week's ban.

Sound advice imo.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Sound advice imo.

imo you should have kept your opinion to yourself.

Then you wouldn't be taking a weeks' holiday.

OP, students aren't entitled to the dole. Everyone here is correct that you are not entitled to it. However, you may try your college's student hardship fund, or maybe their careers office would be able to set you up with a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

jackncoke wrote: »
    Do people not have part time jobs while in college anymore?

Yeah we do. I'm currently in a bit of a situation of my own, I've worked part time since I was in school, from the age of 15 and I'm still workin part time in college. Luckily I got put up to 3 days for the summer. However, I pay my own way and with next years registration fee going up to 1500 yo yos, I doubt my 3 day week will cover this, plus rent for the year, plus food, books, travel etc for my final year in college.

I went down to the social welfare office today and they said I would probably qualify for some jobseeker's allowance because I've been workin part time for 8 years. Problem is, I still live at home with my parents and this allowance is gonna be means tested according to their income. This is despite the fact that at 23, I pay for all my own food, clothes, college stuff, social life etc. as well as handing some of my wages up and it really has very little to do with what my parents earn - and even my mother said that!

I've tried to get another job but it's just impossible at the mo. So yes students may be entitled to some amount of jobseeker's allowance but it has a few terms and conditions; are they still living at home, have they worked before etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

We're all in the same boat at the moment and its rocking against the current. Im in a similar situation to u,startin ni this year and not eligible to get dole,no money comin in and in danger of not bein able to go to uni at all.You know what i did this morning? I photocopied 20 CVs at the local library(20cents a copy!Its a recession after all!)and I handed them into as many shops as I thought might hire me.Theres nothing else you can do. At least you can say on your cv that your in uni! All I can say is that im not doing my leaving till June!
    Keep your chin up,swallow the pride,and go sell yourself to all the local shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I need a gate sanded and painted. Its about 2 days work. I'll hire the sander and provide the paint and brushes. I'll give you 100 quid - 20 when you start and 80 when you finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Gillo wrote: »

Thats what I was doing- but nobody wants it done anymore- not since last September. The work has been drying up. Thats WHY I went back looking for JSA. I didnt want anything to do with any of them prior to that- now I got no choice.

If there was grass to be cut and windows to be washed, I wouldnt be down, 30 years of age, begging for the Dole.

wicklowgal wrote: »
    Yeah we do. I'm currently in a bit of a situation of my own, I've worked part time since I was in school, from the age of 15 and I'm still workin part time in college. Luckily I got put up to 3 days for the summer. However, I pay my own way and with next years registration fee going up to 1500 yo yos, I doubt my 3 day week will cover this, plus rent for the year, plus food, books, travel etc for my final year in college.

I went down to the social welfare office today and they said I would probably qualify for some jobseeker's allowance because I've been workin part time for 8 years. Problem is, I still live at home with my parents and this allowance is gonna be means tested according to their income. This is despite the fact that at 23, I pay for all my own food, clothes, college stuff, social life etc. as well as handing some of my wages up and it really has very little to do with what my parents earn - and even my mother said that!

I've tried to get another job but it's just impossible at the mo. So yes students may be entitled to some amount of jobseeker's allowance but it has a few terms and conditions; are they still living at home, have they worked before etc.

People need to hear this, it will give them some perspective on the black-spot that exists between college and the welfare system.

When I was in my 3rd and final year of College, 2001-2002, I worked right through till December in the local restaurant.

I packed in from January-May for the run in to the exams.

Went back in May looking for my old job, couldnt get a look in, Chinese had undercut, the £8 which I would have been getting they were on £4.

So from May-September, I was ineligible for Dole, and was starting College in October to do my Masters. So the Masters starts, and I have not a penny because the old KP jobs I used to do were not available. But once I start College, I cant get a penny off the dole either because I am back in school.

People think this is a new problem with the downturn. Its not.

IT Loser wrote: »
    Thats what I was doing- but nobody wants it done anymore- not since last September. The work has been drying up. Thats WHY I went back looking for JSA. I didnt want anything to do with any of them prior to that- now I got no choice.

If there was grass to be cut and windows to be washed, I wouldnt be down, 30 years of age, begging for the Dole.

You're not begging for anything. Jobseeker's Allowance is a payment made by the government to help you survive while you're looking for a job.

Your self put downs for claiming the dole and continued protestations about not wanting anything to do with social welfare or anything only serve to perpetuate the myth that those getting benefits from the government should not be.

Finally, you veer too many other threads off topic posting about your own situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

wicklowgal wrote: »
    students may be entitled to some amount of jobseeker's allowance but it has a few terms and conditions; are they still living at home, have they worked before etc.

I thought because I worked for a full year before college and continue working part time during it that I would now be entitled to claim my stamps as I am currently be offered 1 to 2 days a week of work. However you must prove that you are making a loss in the last 13 weeks and because I was at college and working 1 day every week I am entitled to nothing.
    Think it's really unfair how students aren't entitled to anything while I know a lot of people who left school, have never worked or tried to better themselves and they get benifits no problem!

You're not begging for anything. Jobseeker's Allowance is a payment made by the government to help you survive while you're looking for a job.

Your self put downs for claiming the dole and continued protestations about not wanting anything to do with social welfare or anything only serve to perpetuate the myth that those getting benefits from the government should not be.

Finally, you veer too many other threads off topic posting about your own situation.

Your 2nd and 3rd points were never my intention. Apologies.

Secondly, I do believe that there is a trapdoor whereby means-testers might/could/will look at someone who has no demonstrable income for a given period but who has avoided the welfare system during that same period, as being liars.

Afterall, it is perfectly normal to assume that a person cannot live on nothing. And that the person is therefore living on something, i.e. earning.

Apologies anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lanysmiles:)

I'm also a student, I never thought you could get sw, it doesnt sound right.

And there are no jobs out there, I've had summer work for the last 4years and this year i must have sent out about 100 cv's and I've rang many many MANY places and walked into many more and all to no avail, most are letting go of current staff and shortening their hours as it is! It's easy say get up off your ass and get a job but when there's none there its a different story.

I don't think you can get JA as it's really only there for people who've contributed through stamps and are currently out of work but are actively seeking work.

And I really don't think its fair if a student can get a maintenance grant of several thousand and also get sw beneifts, it's not fair on us who can't get work and are depending solely on our families to make sacrifices so that we can attend college >:/ I mean if people can do that then this country is REALLY a joke. My dad works long hard hours at heavy often dangerous physical work, he pays crippling tax every week and then he has to give me money to hand to the government in august, for my education and some people can just stroll down to an office and collect a cheque,paid out of his taxes, every week for nothing.
    sorry for the rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

imo you should have kept your opinion to yourself.

Then you wouldn't be taking a weeks' holiday.

Boards.ie "Now ye're talkin'"

As far as I am aware, generally students are NOT eligible for the dole.

And Fighting Irish, this is State Benefits, NOT After Hours. Different rules apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Hi as someone who works in an office in relation to social welfare, I can inform you that some students are entitled to dole during the summer months depending on their family circumstances; for example if both parents are unemployed then you do qualify.Other cases you are means tested on your parents income.Other cases you claim your stamps which you have worked up in prior years.And finally you move out of home, this really isn't an option giving it would be very difficult to survive on €204.30 a week ,but happens quite regulary when children have no money they argue with parents and storm out without a care in the realastic world!Hope this helps

Advertisement