Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio ad promoting jesus.

Options
  • 26-05-2009 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

I was listening to 2fm today and was infuriated to hear an ad promoting jesus as being the only one that can save you and all this other nonsense.

It started with a coldplay song and then there was a scottish guy talking about how the world is full of material bubbles like fancy cars and friends (yes he said friends) and that jesus is the only important thing and that we must believe in him and all this other bull.

It was really annoying listening to it. I really wanted to ring the ad censorship people to complain as ads like that have no place on the airwaves. it was tripe.

Has anyone else heard it and do you think ads promoting religious belief etc should be banned? the ads purpose seemed to be manipulative and targeting week listeners. That is my opinion anyway.

If i can find it online ill post a link. sorry if this has turned into a rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can't say I'm bothered by it. Don't think its going to have much effect on anyone.

I don't want Atheists turning into the "getting offended" brigade. Why not try and raise some funds and put an ad on the radio about the flaws in the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Why not try and raise some funds and put an ad on the radio about the flaws in the bible.
    Best do that before there's a blasphemy law :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"Atheists Protest at Blasphemy Law Contravening Free Speech".

"Atheist Rally Against Religious Ads on Airwaves"

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Best do that before there's a blasphemy law :)

No, wait till the new law is place and then point out that "One true God" is blasphemy from a Hindu, pagan or other polytheistic religions point of view... And telling people that they are going to hell is offensive... you know that it will offend before you say it (does that count as intent to offend?)

Blasphemous
    offensive
    No artistic value (It's an advert...)

What else does it need?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hookers and Blackjack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism. They put themselves out there, we should respond in kind with criticism (preferably dripping with satire and humourous insightfulness - failing that sarcasm will suffice).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

kiffer wrote: »
    No, wait till the new law is place and then point out that "One true God" is blasphemy from a Hindu, pagan or other polytheistic religions point of view... And telling people that they are going to hell is offensive... you know that it will offend before you say it (does that count as intent to offend?)

Blasphemous
    offensive
    No artistic value (It's an advert...)

What else does it need?

Its not in the least bit offensive. This thread is why some people call some atheists militant. If you don't believe in hell, then you shouldn't be offended by it.

One thing I hate about religion is the political correctness element of it; people getting offended at silly things; please don't let atheism turn into that. As Dades said, its all about freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dades wrote: »
    "Atheists Protest at Blasphemy Law Contravening Free Speech".

"Atheist Rally Against Religious Ads on Airwaves"

;)
    What protest? Let anyone say what they like, we can all use a laugh now and then. Yes, we know a protest would be hypocritical, if that's what you're hinting at. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

this ad wasnt just advertising jesus and christianity. It seemed to be targeting the weak with its use of words and tone. i still cant find it. i did find this though which might explain why i have never heard a religious ad before

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0401/1224243793035.html

advertising can be very manipulative and use subcauntious techniques to effect listeners. Thats why i think religious ads should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

1) How much does a 15 second ad on 2fm cost.
    2) What's the worst, most deplorably violent passage in the Bible.
    3) Are you allowed urge people to join an organization that you don't represent?

That verse about God sending bears to kill the children who mocked a bald man springs to mind. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

bogwalrus wrote: »
    this ad wasnt just advertising jesus and christianity. It seemed to be targeting the weak with its use of words and tone. i still cant find it. i did find this though which might explain why i have never heard a religious ad before

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0401/1224243793035.html

advertising can be very manipulative and use subcauntious techniques to effect listeners. Thats why i think religious ads should not be allowed.
    The relaxing of the rules probably explains a similar ad that was on TV recently. Some group saying "you will soon receive a leaflet....(I think my brain auto-tuned out at this bit).... if you don't receive it call this number". Thought at the time it was unusual to see an ad promoting religion or a religious group on TV. Can't say it bothered me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Nevore wrote: »
    1) How much does a 15 second ad on 2fm cost.
    2) What's the worst, most deplorably violent passage in the Bible.
    3) Are you allowed urge people to join an organization that you don't represent?

That verse about God sending bears to kill the children who mocked a bald man springs to mind. :D

Or how about some PSAs?

"Your local church would like to remind all dwarves that they cannot approach the altar with offerings"

"Your local church would like to remind women that they should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission"

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

sionnach wrote: »
    Or how about some PSAs?

"Your local church would like to remind all dwarves that they cannot approach the altar with offerings"

"Your local church would like to remind women that they should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission"

I actually think that is pretty funny. You could probably find some good material here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054962475.

Something like:
    "Your local church are delighted to announce that the price of slaves have increased, if you are thinking about selling your daughter now is the right time"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

"Your local church would like to remind you that it is now relatively safe for children to attend"

too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

sionnach wrote: »
    "Your local church would like to remind you that it is now relatively safe for children to attend"

too soon?
    Nah, if we didn't laugh we'd cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're only in favour of free speech if you're specifically in favour of people saying things with which you don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wasnt some radio ad for a Christian book store pulled around Christmas time because of teh slogan 'the gift that means more'? Apparently there is some law barring religious adverts on the radio.
    Not that I think such ads should be pulled. Freedom of speech should work both ways.
    Allowing them to say what they like just gives them an opportunity to publicly show off just how silly their beliefs are, mwahahahaha!!!!

Advertisement