Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CGT and all of that.

• 25-05-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Any opinions or educated guesses as to the following hypothetical situation re a property disposal.

Seperated individual with two adult children,both of whom living elsewhere (UK and Germany).
    Mr Seperated had inhereted house from parent and owned it for 10 years since owners death.

House now sold and Mr Seperated wishes to endow each child with a sum from the sale proceeds.

Essential question is how best to minimise the CGT liability and also are there any specific methods of transferring the cash to the children,for example would it be better to deposit in an Irish bank or transfer directly to UK and German banks ?

Thoughts anybody ???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

well Hypothetically

CGT arose on the sale. I presume PPR (Principal private residence relief) was claimed if disponer was living in the house.

Now that Mr Seperated has the cash in hand and is giving it to his children CAT and not CGT arises on the gift.

The threshold that can be given to each child tax free in 2009 is 542,544 so unless the house was sold for more that 1,090,000 no CAT should arise. If the value of the gift is over 80% of the threshold a CAT return is still required nothwithstanding the fact there is no liability.

A CGT/CAT set off is not applicable as they are seperate transactions, i.e sale of house to third party, gift of proceeds to children.

That's from an Irish perspective.

UK and German tax authorities may have a provision to tax the receipts if they are remitted into their countries by a resident individual. I'm no expert on German or UK tax codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 bishops palace

The threshold that can be given to each child tax free in 2009 is 542,544 so unless the house was sold for more that 1,090,000 no CAT should arise.

The threshold was reduced to 434,000 on 8th April 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Thanks Mr Incognito and Bishops Palace.
    My pal is the most Irish of individuals when it comes to "Affairs of State" and has the longest fingers I know of,upon which everything to do with Tax and stuff is placed.

Hw was NOT using the house as principal residence but renting it out,would that make an appreciable difference?

Both children have lived and worked abroad for many years now but have Credit Union and bank accounts still active back home.

The Dad`s original idea was simply to lodge the respective amounts into these accounts and walk away.
    I have been prodding him to assess the state of play with the idea of depriving the Irish Revenue of every cent which it is legally possible to do,given that we all are now completely supporting the lifestyles of some 50 property developers !!
    It would be interesting to see if any on-line resource exists whereby the various EU Tax areas can be compared side by side ???

Thanks Again all. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement