Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be allowed to fly this online?

Options
  • 25-05-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

I'm determined to get into online flying this summer and have already begun practising intensly in preparation. Just one (probably of many!) quick question:
    I downloaded a freeware plane recently. The IRIS Tornado GR4.

It's a military plane. With effort I can punch the velocity up to 652 knots (not without risk though, the deceleration back to 390 required full flaps and the speed brake, and cost me about 700 ft. in altitude. Kinda frightening considering I was only at 2,400 ft before I started to slow).

Obviosuly, I'd follow any instructions given to me by an ATC, and would never take it up to such a speed online, but would the fact that it's a military craft ban me from VATSIM for example?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I'm determined to get into online flying this summer and have already begun practising intensly in preparation. Just one (probably of many!) quick question:
    I downloaded a freeware plane recently. The IRIS Tornado GR4.

It's a military plane. With effort I can punch the velocity up to 652 knots (not without risk though, the deceleration back to 390 required full flaps and the speed brake, and cost me about 700 ft. in altitude. Kinda frightening considering I was only at 2,400 ft before I started to slow).

Obviosuly, I'd follow any instructions given to me by an ATC, and would never take it up to such a speed online, but would the fact that it's a military craft ban me from VATSIM for example?

Hell no, i applaud this, too many people do the usual dull FR/EI/EZY/BAW Civvy stuff. When i was on i did lots of Formation flying with DarraghK in Cessna's and Learjet/Gulfstream Formation of the Air Corps and also took off from Baldonnel in a CASA doing my own thing or just a routine Patrol. I also sometimes took off from RAF Kinloss in a Nimrod and routed over the UK to EINN and landed and shut down for a bit and then took off and routed back to Kinloss, called it a Nav Exercise:pac:

If anything VATEIR/VATSIM needs more Military to be as realsitic as possible like for instance on VATEIR in EINN ( Shannon ) you dont hear much Mil Traffic but in the real world EINN may as well be a USAFE ( US Air Force Europe ) AMC Base.

Also if you plan to be an RAF Fast Jet it might be no harm to read up on the Actual Airframe you have and it's Unit, this will help you use it's real world Callsign too.

Another thing the Guys at VATEIR are more than helpful too, if you say what your at etc and stay out of busy area's and do you own Mil thing and then wish to join a pattern at a civvy base it's no problem just rememebr real Mil Aircraft usually perform a run and break down the runway ( fast pass and break to join pattern to land ) before landing this usually happens well below 500ft and at high speed and when the Mil aircraft breaks at a high G turn this slows the Aircraft down enough for it to configure for landing, and that hapens on a very regular basis in about every Military, even the IAC PC9M's perform a break to land over Baldonnel the odd time.

Here is a Video of 2 PC9M's breaking over Baldonnel to land near the end of the video:

http://www.irishairpics.com/video/ramp_activity_01.mpg

Courtesy of Frank Grealish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You are more than welcome to, provided you know how to fly it, and know what you are doing. If you load up at Baldonnel and go looking for full military service it is very different, just be warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Don't be afraid to have fun on VATSIM, it may seem full of procedures and rules of what you're not supposed to do but at the end of the day, controllers want traffic just as much as you want to fly. As long as you're not annoying anyone else and dont mess about in busy controlled areas you'll be fine. It is a game at the end of the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

exactly as neon said. You can fly military planes once you know how to fly them. Know the procedures and be in control of the aircraft, be ready for route change or speed restrictions etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Are you lads serious? Excuse my ignorance, but you need permission to fly a pretend e-airplane from an admin who controls an e-universe of some sort? All encase you have an e-crash and ruin the games of the 0 people that would witness it?

Why cant he just pop online and learn to fly his plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

red_ice wrote: »
    Are you lads serious? Excuse my ignorance, but you need permission to fly a pretend e-airplane from an admin who controls an e-universe of some sort? All encase you have an e-crash and ruin the games of the 0 people that would witness it?

Why cant he just pop online and learn to fly his plane?
    VATSIM is virtual air traffic control, guided by real people implementing close to real world rules. As such, if the OP was "messing about" or learning how to control his/her aircraft, he'd have an affect on others. It may not as multi-user as Warcraft or counter strike, but they'd still affect others.
    Playing on own, etc, of course they'd not need permission, but wouldn't have the human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

sweet, thx! Sounds interesting. Can anyone with a random joystick just pop in a plane and fly? is it free?

sweet, thx! Sounds interesting. Can anyone with a random joystick just pop in a plane and fly? is it free?

Totally free you need to download Squawkbox etc but i strongly recommend learning all about procedured etc before you join.

See here:http://vateir.com/pilots.php for some of the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

And red, the controllers on VATeir are all very helpful so just let them know you are a newbie and they will try their level best to accomodate you. But as per your above post. It is encouraged that you learn how to fly your plane offline and get air traffic control when you know how to fly your plane. Because if the pilot can't fly it, good luck to the controller trying to keep it seperated from the rest!

Bets of luck with it though and I hope to see you on the scopes(if I ever get back on them myself!):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I'm hoping that I might be able to get online in the next few days.

I'm thinking of foregoing the military plane for my debut though and will probably use a Mooney Bravo.

I definitely don't want to get in anyone's way or impinge upon the enjoyment of others who are flying so I'm going to keep practising on my own for the time being. I can take off and maintain flight control very well at this stage but I still have trouble landing. IF I manage to get down safely (and that's a pretty big if) I always seem to come in to fast with the result being that I either have to throttle up and take off again (kinda just boucing along the runway and then leaving again) or I just slide off the runway and crash.

Most times I tend to fly Cork -> Galway, if that would make any difference to the runway difficulties I'm having.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It is best to start off online in something small- like a Cessna/mooney etc

The landing and taking off straight away again is known as a "touch and go" literally

Advertisement