Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions and Answers tonight 25/05

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

anyone watching this?

The old guy who was abused lashing out at Noel Dempsey

Powerful stuff, fair play to him

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I am stunned.

What that man said...what that man said...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

heart breaking stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

giftgrub wrote: »
    anyone watching this?

Was just thinking the same thing. Fair play.

We need more people to speak up - the "apology" and "report" is a sham.

Lets hope people adjust their contributions to the catholic church on a sunday accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

That really brought a tear to my eye, he really brought home to me the horrors that those poor people suffered. Shame!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

He tore strips of dempsy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

+1. It was awfully moving altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I'd say he had everyone in his throes when he was delivering that piece from the heart. He pretty much summed up how everyone is feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

giftgrub wrote: »
    anyone watching this?

Absolutley heatbreaking what he said. Good point he also made to that Fine Gael TD about his leader making a political football out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

The poor man. How hard that must have been, so public - but it will open eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

very heart breaking watching that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Jesus, I shed a few tears listening to that gentleman. Horrific stuff. First time I've ever seen a PT panel be completely silent after a member of the audience tore lumps out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

:( I felt so sad for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It was heart breaking to watch and took some guts to come out and say what he did, the people that committed them horrific acts should be behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

hellboy99 wrote: »
    It was heart breaking to watch and took some guts to come out and say what he did, the people that committed them horrific acts should be behind bars.
    Hear hear......

If they don't pay for their crimes here and now, I trust they will when they go to meet 'their maker'. How ironic, people of God my Arze.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

The most powerful thing I have ever seen. Fair play to that man, all that he suffered as a child and then to be humiliated and accused of lying by the barristers at the redress trial. It just goes to show, the pain of a child abused is never-ending, a life sentence.

As someone said on the radio yesterday, a man in a white dress, in Parada slippers, standing on a marble altar surrounded by gold has the last say on it all. There aren't words ugly enough in any language to describe those f***ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

What that man said was powerful. Just waiting for the internet clever clogs to come along and shoot him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Its So Easy

Powerful stuff alright. "Remember wexford ? " What did that mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heard the excerpt on the radio this morning, was a very moving statement, straight from the heart.

Of course if there is no guy dressed in a white dress surrounded by gold at the end of it all, then a lot of the abusers will never see justice. I doubt if the hard evidence exists to make many more convictions, only posturing by the minister asking the guards to take a look at the abuse report.

And these are the people who reckon atheists have no morals because they don't believe? Give me a break. Kick CORI out of social partnership now.

Q+A will be missed when it finishes soon, at least it gave some ordinary joe soaps the opportunity to speak openly in a public forum now and again (once you were able to weed out the political hacks in the audience first).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Powerful stuff alright. "Remember wexford ? " What did that mean ?

The Ferns Report, possibly?

Watching this on RTE player now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

As The Black Oil said, the show is on RTE's website if anyone wants to watch.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1048655

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heard the audio on Morning Ireland, there are thousands more like him, woe betide those who try to "placate" them with waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gooneradam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Agreed with everyone else on this. Was very powerful. Considering that the guy was very emotional, he did extremely well to keep focused on what he was saying and not to use bad language. Well done to him on everything except being a FF'er. How he could remain a FF'er after Michael Woods' sneaky deal I dont know though.

To think that there was nothing done about this makes me so embarrassed to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I can't view it in the iPlayer, the presenter dosen't let the minister respond straight away. Was there any response?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

To Michael O'Brien and every other victim / survivor of the abuse and assaults that were carried out on them by the church and state and by society in general that, I, for one, believe you.

And I applaud you for your honesty and courage in coming out telling us about it.

I wish there was a way that the ordinary people, like me, could show our solidarity and compassion.

Does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

LittleRose wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Maybe people / church-goers across the country should show there support and stage a protest one Sunday at mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

****. But it needed to be said. It's a pity it will be forgotten about. Imagine that, dragged into one of those battery hen institutions and being raped 2 days later. Maybe the church might be a better institution without so much property, who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Unbelievable. I don't think I have been that shocked into silence in a long time. What a brave, marvellous man. As someone else said earlier kick CORI out of partnership talks. And lets have a referendum on stripping those orders of everything a la Henry V111.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

That was equally heartbreaking and disturbing. I applaud his bravery and honesty to speak out and to put the panel in their place. Well done Micheal O'Brien for speaking out and for telling the nation your story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

One of the most powerful speeches I have ever heard. It is a watershed moment in this whole process. Well done to that man for that.

Advertisement