Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxer pup

Options
  • 25-05-2009 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I bought a boxer pup a few days ago.The problem is that he keeps chasing and biting his tail..:rolleyes:also trying to bite my feet.Whats the best way to stop this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Oh lovely, a Boxer with a tail!
    What age is he? Tail chasing can be a simple playful thing that a lot of pups do when they see this dangly thing behind them- a lot of dogs don't know that it's part of them til they bite it!!

Also it can be a stress related behaviour.... it takes about 3 weeks (minimum) for a dog/pup to settle into a new home, and it's only been a few days- first time away from the only world he knew, his mother, his siblings... give him a little time before deciding that the tail chasing is something to be concerned about.

Pups will chase and play bite anything that moves.

And your feet walk.

So he's just being a pup!
    It's important though that you yelp when he play bites/nibbles, or otherwise he will learn that it's acceptable, and he'll still be doing it when he's fully grown....it might not be so cute then with the strength of his fully developed jaws!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

He is 8 weeks.Its only a small tail but because he seen it,he wants it:D

He got his first vaccination 10 days ago so will be a little while longer before he gets his 2nd shot and longer before he can go out:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sounds like he's being true to his playful boxer nature to be honest....they will find fun in ANYthing.....mine is geriatric at this stage and she's still a clown:rolleyes:

Any chance of some cute boxer puppy pics???

Good luck with him.....so jealous of the fun summer you're going to have with your boxer puppy you lucky thing;)

Sounds like he's being true to his playful boxer nature to be honest....they will find fun in ANYthing.....mine is geriatric at this stage and she's still a clown:rolleyes:

Any chance of some cute boxer puppy pics???

Good luck with him.....so jealous of the fun summer you're going to have with your boxer puppy you lucky thing;)
    Yea il follow them up tomorrow mate.I went the blue cross tonight as the pup was pooing but was very odd coloured and blood in it.Basically the vet said to take him off puppy nuts and give him "rice krispies" 4 times a day.He wont even eat that .Any ideas what else i can try if he is not eating??

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Has he been wormed recently? Tail chasing can also be a sign of worms in dogs and if his poo is a little bloody then that can be another sign. Its no harm to worm him anyways and keep an eye on what he passes!!!

• Advertisement

Has he been wormed recently? Tail chasing can also be a sign of worms in dogs and if his poo is a little bloody then that can be another sign. Its no harm to worm him anyways and keep an eye on what he passes!!!
    Ye he was wormed 6 days ago.The vet said the puppy nuts he was on were very bad 4 him and try cereals

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

upthedub wrote: »
    Ye he was wormed 6 days ago.The vet said the puppy nuts he was on were very bad 4 him and try cereals

A sudden change in food can also upset their tummies. Its better to introduce new food to a puppy on a very slow basis. I think someone else said it already but it does take a while for them to settle in. I got my Westie this day last year and he had a sick tummy for a few days. He's 14months now and he still acts the eejit. I'm jealous of all the puppy adventures you're gonna have!!

Yea il follow them up tomorrow mate.I went the blue cross tonight as the pup was pooing but was very odd coloured and blood in it.Basically the vet said to take him off puppy nuts and give him "rice krispies" 4 times a day.He wont even eat that .Any ideas what else i can try if he is not eating??
    Anyone any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

hi, i take it the vet took his temp etc to rule out other things?
    how is he in himself? is he bright etc?
    if he still wont eat for you and seems lethergic id be bringing him back to the vet.
    try him on a small amount of chicken and plain boiled rice.....it might appeal to him more.
    if that works and he starts pooing normally you can start adding in a good quality pup food gradually.

spiderdog wrote: »
    hi, i take it the vet took his temp etc to rule out other things?
    how is he in himself? is he bright etc?
    if he still wont eat for you and seems lethergic id be bringing him back to the vet.
    try him on a small amount of chicken and plain boiled rice.....it might appeal to him more.
    if that works and he starts pooing normally you can start adding in a good quality pup food gradually.
    Ye he said his temp was ok.He is tired the last two days sleep sleep sleep.Ye il try the boiled rice in the morning and hope it works because he ate nothing again today:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Sounds like strange advice to me. Genereally, the advice if your dog is vomiting or has bad diahorrea is that you should starve for 12 hours or so and then introduce some bland and easy to digest food like rice, boiled to a mush and boiled chicken before introducing his normal food again. I don't know about a puppy though, they probably shouldn't fast for 12 hours. Make sure he's getting plenty of water anyhow.

You should never change a dog's diet all at once, as their beneficial bacteria is adapted to the food that he's been fed on and changing in a hurry means they don't get enough nutrients, which causes the bad bacteria to take over and hence the stomach upsets.

I reccomend you put him on one of the better quality dry foods, changing him over to it slowly in the space of a week. Good food might cost a bit more, but it's well worth it as you need to feed less and you'll save it on vet bills in the long run!

What about the vet saying just give him cereals????

90% of his poo is watery

one of my dogs was very sick in the same way when he was 10weeks, i had to starve him for 12 hours and luckily he picked up after that....at the time he wouldnt even eat a bit of chicken handed to him and he was a real foodie...such a worry:(
    your pup might need antibiotics though and def you need to make sure he`s getting plenty of fluids, you can get rehydration powders from your chemist.....its vital he doesnt get dehydrated.
    its hopefully just a bug though but if you`re still worried tm id bring him back again etc
    poor little pet, its hard to see them sick at that age.....everything crossed for him:)

very strange about the vet saying give him cereals:confused:
    i dont agree at all.
    when he`s fully recovered he def needs to be on a good quality dry pup food, did you get a diet sheet from your breeder.
    have you rang your breeder to ask their advice on this?
    they should be happy for you to call anytime with questions.:)

We stopped giving the dry nuts after this evening and put a bowl of rice crispies down but he didnt want them either.He isnt drinking much either,so you reckon just leave his water out over night??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Anyone any advice??

Try a little meat stock (oxo or something) ON the rice krispies...

Might con him into swallowing some. I'd say "milk" but I have a feeling there is a REASON the vet didn't mention that (keep protein as far away as possible from "the runs" in any living creature).

I don't like the sound of that lethargy...

If his poo is yellow, watery and smells weirdly "metallic"...a bit like blood, only very strong and offensive, I think you need to get him to a vet...FAST...

It could be parvo (sorry but, if it is, I won't be sparing you a thing by not telling you now...and if it isn't we can all be relieved)...

Never heard of that one...

My guy had a very bad episode of a stomach bug last winter (very unusual for him as he usually has an iron stomach!) and I had to take him to the emergency vets, and I was given the advice about the boiled rice etc. They also gave him an injection to stop him vomiting.

He sounds like he's in a bad way and if his poo is that watery it's very likely that he will get dehydrated, especially as he's only young, so if I was you I'd bring him back to the vets first thing if he's no better in the morning!

Found this about choosing a good diet for your boxer, it doesn't mention cereals!

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_feeding-your-puppy.htm

aare wrote: »
    Try a little meat stock (oxo or something) ON the rice krispies...

Might con him into swallowing some. I'd say "milk" but I have a feeling there is a REASON the vet didn't mention that (keep protein as far away as possible from "the runs" in any living creature).

I don't like the sound of that lethargy...

If his poo is yellow, watery and smells weirdly "metallic"...a bit like blood, only very strong and offensive, I think you need to get him to a vet...FAST...

It could be parvo (sorry but, if it is, I won't be sparing you a thing by not telling you now...and if it isn't we can all be relieved)...
    1 in 10 are like a thick liquid with abit of blood in it

i wouldnt worry too much about him eating tonight....get some chicken and rice in the morn and try him then.
    maybe his tum could use a break anyway.
    as for the water...if he isnt drinking you need to get a needless srynge or even a teaspoon and put very small amounts on his tongue making sure not to give too much and that he swallows, you dont want it going the wrong way.
    do this at intervals through the night (yawn) it makes the world of diff.
    if theres a late night chemist near you try and get the rehydration powders.....dyoralyte is very good. everything in them and you dont need to give as much.
    lie him on a covered hotwater bottle too.
    pups can make a dramatic recovery from being ill just by keeping him warm and hydrated:)

Blueprint wrote: »
    Never heard of that one...

My guy had a very bad episode of a stomach bug last winter (very unusual for him as he usually has an iron stomach!) and I had to take him to the emergency vets, and I was given the advice about the boiled rice etc. They also gave him an injection to stop him vomiting.

He sounds like he's in a bad way and if his poo is that watery it's very likely that he will get dehydrated, especially as he's only young, so if I was you I'd bring him back to the vets first thing if he's no better in the morning!

Found this about choosing a good diet for your boxer, it doesn't mention cereals!

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/view_feeding-your-puppy.htm
    Thats weird because the vet said keep well away from dry nuts and just give him cereals.Have a good right to print off that boxer info and slap him with it tomorrow:mad:

• Advertisement

spiderdog wrote: »
    i wouldnt worry too much about him eating tonight....get some chicken and rice in the morn and try him then.
    maybe his tum could use a break anyway.
    as for the water...if he isnt drinking you need to get a needless srynge or even a teaspoon and put very small amounts on his tongue making sure not to give too much and that he swallows, you dont want it going the wrong way.
    do this at intervals through the night (yawn) it makes the world of diff.
    if theres a late night chemist near you try and get the rehydration powders.....dyoralyte is very good. everything in them and you dont need to give as much.
    lie him on a covered hotwater bottle too.
    pups can make a dramatic recovery from being ill just by keeping him warm and hydrated:)
    Boiled rice you mean??Chicken??as in what sort?

Boil the rice longer than usual until it's really mushy and the same with the chicken. This is to help start his stomach up again. A little natural yogurt might help too. Then when he's started eating again and keeping that down, you can slowly reintroduce solid food.

My guy was grand again within 24 hours.

And dogs can't live on cereal alone, they need protein! Plus they're allergic to milk usually, so if you fed it with that it might make things much worse!

yes...boiled rice and chicken:)
    at the min though id be more concerned with keeping him hydrated.
    such a worry i know...he could be all bouncy in the morning and you`ll be shattered:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Hang on...

I am remembering something...the vet may not be as demented as he sounds...

With a pup in that state, too much bulk (like mushy rice) in his stomach can just stay there and expand with fluid...

The rice crispies are full of air and will actually contract...so they are keeping his stomach working without building up to the point where he can't pass them.

Look...all I can say is that, if your pup was in my house I would get him to a vet ASAP.

Sounds to me as if it could be parvo, or it could be that his tiny little stomach can't handle and pass the dead worms effectively after worming...

...if the former fluids are more important, and if the latter, feeding him bulk will make it worse...

If you can get him to eat a tiny weeny bit of ANYTHING you are winning...but make sure it is ONLY a tiny bit at a time...then another tiny bit after he poos...

...and keep him warm...that is vital too...

hey, hows he doing today:)

:confused:hope all is ok??????

Advertisement