Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junction on Old Dublin Road @ Parkpoint

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

See the junction below. The one at the entrance to Aldi(not on image) and Parkpoint(not on Image, Travelodge).

You can just make out the roundabout which did exist at the time.

Now there is no roundabout and one yield sign. Yet the yield sign "yields" traffic coming off the Dublin road. There is no yield sign coming down the old Dublin road(from parkway) or coming out of Aldi.

Who stops? Technically under the definition of the road it is a roundabout so we should all observe it as such but I have lots of near misses there quite a lot.

Two e-mails to the council with no replies.

What do people think of this junction or roundabout(if it is one)?

DublinRoad.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Well technically it is a roundabout, so you have to yield to traffic on the roundabout regardless of which way your coming from....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Baldie wrote: »
    Well technically it is a roundabout, so you have to yield to traffic on the roundabout regardless of which way your coming from....

AHA but you and I know its a roundabout. What about Joe Bloggs down from Dublin who is staying in the Travelodge. There are no signs or road markings so ploughs on through the junction and wipes out a bus full of nuns on their way to feed the kids in the orphanage.

You cant really argue he should have seen the invisible roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Its incredibly badly marked. My sister in law was coming to the junction a few weeks ago (she's not from Limerick) and a car almost hit her on it.

If you're coming off the Dublin road there is a stop sign. telling you to yield right of way.

If you're coming out of Aldi there is a stop sign telling you to yield right of way.

If you are coming down the old road (from Clancy's) there is no stop sign.

So if you're coming down the old road you have right of way which ever way you are turning at the "round about".

I'm not sure if thats the way its supposed to be, but from I'm just interpretating what signage is visible.

Might be worth bringing it up with some of the politicians going for election?

Just an update I noticed yesterday.

All 3 access points have yield signs but still not white roundabout.

I personally know you yield for traffic to your right but not everybody knows this without the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i thought the roundabout was done away with, and that the road is one continous line, obviously exiting from the shops is pulling out onto a road then, so doesnt have right of way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Holy crap, theres a mini roundabout there? I can just about see it on map there, but shop there every week and dont recall ever seeing it! All i have seen is a yield line coming from the dublin road direction, so always thought the aldi traffic had right of way coming out of aldi to go right to clancys ahead of the dublin road traffic.

phill106 wrote: »
    Holy crap, theres a mini roundabout there? I can just about see it on map there, but shop there every week and dont recall ever seeing it! All i have seen is a yield line coming from the dublin road direction, so always thought the aldi traffic had right of way coming out of aldi to go right to clancys ahead of the dublin road traffic.

No you know. It was definately worth an e-mail to the Limerick City Council whom gave it to the Limerick Co Council who then gave it to the Annacotty office. *Sigh

Traffic coming from the Dublin road should have complete right of way. There should be a STOP sign for traffic exiting ALDI/Parkpoint but did they agree? NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

im living in rhebogue and drive thru there every day and i never know what to do. when im coming down the hill i just make sure to slow down.ive had to slam on the brakes a few times when im near aldi as some people coming out of aldi dont stop and people coming off the dublin road that are going to aldi dont stop some of the times.i have had a few near misses,so now i just make sure i go slow so i can react in time. definitely think that the council should make things clearer but im sure they will wait for an accident to happen before they do something about it.

Ah Thank you for reminding me of this thread.

I was passing the other day and noticed some strange about this junction so turned at the roundabout and went back for a look and (being a nerd) I stopped next to Parkpoint to watch the way traffic approached the junction.

NOW, there is only one yield sign. It is stopping traffic coming off the new Dublin road. There is also a yield white triangle and a solid white line.

EVERY car stopped. Fine :)

There is nothing coming down the hill and nothing when coming out of Parkpoint so by right they both have right of way and could slam into each other.

It makes little sense at all.

Now, without the power of telling the future, the couny council "may" have asked Parkpoint to erect a yield sign and actually paint the white lines giving the Dublin road the complete right of way. They may be awaiting a yield sign in the post.

It appears that it is NO LONGER a roundabout but an out and out mess right now.

I will avoid it in future and feel sorry for anybody coming down the old Dublin road because they will not be able to stop in time if driving miss/mr daisy pulls out of parkpoint because there in no indication to stop/common sense.

Advertisement