Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla and website question.

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Hi, im currently doing placement where im getting some projects regard websites. A man came to me the last day and what ive to do is basically do up his website a bit.

Its a pretty basic website so I shouldnt have any trouble with it, only one problem is its all done in this web builder called joomla.

Now ive never used it and tried having a go with it but it so complicated I dont know how to even change banner headings and stuff.

Now im not that clued up on the whole domain name/web hosting thing....

But his website has its own proper domain name so could I just say to him listen il redo the website in dreamweaver and forget about joomla or will that lead me to having to buy hosting and stuff (hes mentioned already hes no money to pay me so he wont be buying extra hosting and things like that).

I dont know if ive made this clear but basically I hate Joomla and what I want to do is redo the site in Dreamweaver, keep the domain name and im done....

Any info at all would be great thanks! Im a bit worried about it!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Joomla is a CMS (Content Management System) which means its handy for him to be able to add or edit text himself without having to call a designer everytime to make changes for him. This would probably be the case if you change and go the dreamweaver route. Also considering you wouldnt be getting paid then you are just causing more work and hassle for yourself. I know you would prefer dreamweaver and a redesign but the client uses Joomla so you should learn how to make the changes and get familiar with Joomla and use this as experience in doing so.
    If you were a mechanic you wouldnt tell someone who came in with a ford that you dont like them type of cars but let me give you this civic cos i like working and fixing them. Try get your head around Joomla, theres plenty on the web and considering you only need to change a few bits it should be easy enough to find what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Axwell said it all. Having the client able to update content himself is a massive advantage.

Joomla can be a bit daunting at first cause of all the tools but look up the basics on how articles/sections/categories are structured and edited and it should become clear.

If he wants you to change the template of the site look up a few tutorials. Its alot easier than you would expect and you might even be able to get away with just changing a few of the template images. Thus avoiding any code.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Thanks for the info. Was wondering alright about having to change content everytime hed want something updated.

Ok ill look up this joomla so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

i have used dreamweaver in the past and it is so much easier to get to grips with. but i have joomla on my on my host site and finding it very hard to master. my idea is to use templates . there are so many modules and i am having a hard time finding a module that will let me put up a simple image. maybe we could share ideas and get this joomla kicked in the ass. so far i can change title page name, add image in to article , add new logo using code. change menu order. install template. Everyone says use joomla what i like about it is u don't have to have a program on you'r pc its all done from the net. so u can work from any pc anywhere.

Advertisement