Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Arcade Machine

Options
  • 24-05-2009 7:15pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok in about 2 weeks I'm hoping to put together an arcade machine, I have been quoted about 350 euro for a mame ready cab. How does that sound? should I play a long game and wait for something to come up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good luck with the project. 350 sounds like a fair price to me. Although it does all depend on what you're getting. Is it totally gutted with a pc/LCD monitor? Or does it still have the original CRT monitor connected to a PC?

It would probably be more fun to try and do it yourself. Restoring an old cab is half the fun ;)

Also just to note - If you're going to gut something for MAME, please make sure it's either some generic cab or something that's in bits. Nothing worse than seeing a classic gutted!

edit - Plus also be careful if you're dealing with CRT monitors. They store 20,000 volts even when they're powered off. That's a scary amount of voltage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thanks for the advice, the whole thing might not work, but I'm fairly sure I wont get a shock from it :)

I dont know what the guy has he mentioned the CRT and the monitor as options, seemingly with what he has I can pick either.

I'll keep you posted, heading down to him in a couple of weeks, I dont really know him just through a friend.
    I'm glad the price sounds good, missed a free one today on adverts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you have the option, then deff go with the CRT. LCDs do the job, but they're just lacking that bit of authenticity.

And yeah, I couldn't believe someone was giving one away for free on adverts. Madness! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CRTs > LCDs for pixel upscaling.

Advertisement