Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions wanted to improve the History and heritage forum

Options
  • 24-05-2009 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly what the title says. What would the users here like to see put in place to improve the forum? I've suggested to Bossarky that we could perhaps have a weekly topic of discussion (that would change every week :pac: ). I don't want to put too much up here now, I'd prefer to hear what people have to say. Any suggestions will be considered, although I don't know when changes might come into play. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

yes a weekly or even forthnightly topic would be a great idea

you could link up or just steal ideas from the seemingly dead debate forum as they had good ideas for discussions

also a sticky thread with vids? (history channel or other - with warning of possible bias etc-)

monthly book club sort thing, then discuss
    or just tie into the weekly discussion above and drag in everything people have read?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks to Brian for coming up with these ideas on how to improve H&H.
    also a sticky thread with vids? (history channel or other - with warning of possible bias etc-)

Great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Some good ideas there conchubhar!

no bother

when will these ideas come into effect? if ever - im aware the thread is only a few days old and has had minimal input

I'll leave the thread open for a while, in a week or two I'll look at the suggestions and see what can be put into existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What about adding heritage to the archaeology forum and leaving this solely a history..

Personally I'm happy with how it is at the minute. Archeology is different discipline to History and has its own methods, ideas, etc. If others on the forum think the heritage tag is a problem though then it can certainly be discussed in more length. Alternatively you could make your suggestion in the forums, forum (here). this will get wider coverage from a range of posters and admins that this thread won't receive. Hope that helps somewhat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

How about banning one-liners? The whole one minute cameo's to complex questions really begins to get dull around here. (There is also an assumed arrogance to it, with an undertone shouting 'I'm too damn intelligent to explain myself!')

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

monthly book club sort thing, then discuss
    or just tie into the weekly discussion above and drag in everything people have read?
    I particularly like the book club idea.

it would get me reading more history anyway - and the discussion would pool everyones thoughts in and broaden our ideas on a given topic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Could we drop the "today in History" thread and replace it with a light hearted or trivia discussion thread. The "TIH" thread is/was good, but it is a couple of years old and doesn't get much activity these days as most of it is covered.

might aswel leave it open ^ no harm done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I think we should get new Mods*

*Strong ones!! :P

/Runs back to fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

might aswel leave it open ^ no harm done

Just thinking that the forum could end up littered with stickies.

i suppose it could be unstickied - but dont close it

Could we drop the "today in History" thread and replace it with a light hearted or trivia discussion thread. The "TIH" thread is/was good, but it is a couple of years old and doesn't get much activity these days as most of it is covered.

I was thinking about the stickies and which ones could be kept or taken away. That's probably going to be unsticked. Maybe the history quiz as well?

I think we should get new Mods*

*Strong ones!! :P

/Runs back to fitness

Infracted. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think there should be some sub forums.

1) Modern Irish

2) Medieval and Early Modern Irish

3) Modern European

4) Medieval and Early Modern European

5) World

An archives and palaeography section would be great too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Furet wrote: »
    I think there should be some sub forums.

1) Modern Irish

2) Medieval and Early Modern Irish

3) Modern European

4) Medieval and Early Modern European

5) World

An archives and palaeography section would be great too.

I'm not sure we get enough traffic to support adding more sub forums at the moment. Good points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

If one is looking for suggestions it occurs to me that we have a preoccupation with viewing history and heritage largely from the social and political perspectives. Very little attention appears to be devoted anywhere to our commercial and industrial heritage. I think it would be interesting to feature particular companies and industries as they evolved across the country

Another suggestion is to look at how industries have shaped our towns and landscapes

• Advertisement

Those are interesting suggestions TS but I think it should be up to the user to create threads on these topics, which you are more than welcome to do. I've been thinking about this thread for a while and there are some interesting ideas but I wonder if there is enough activity in the forum to include them all. I will look at implementing one or two new ideas now.

I take your point Brian

Advertisement