Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden / lawn : what to do?

Options
  • 24-05-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi - I've attached pics of the mess that is my garden, looking from left to right. I got a couple of quotes from landscapers but I've decided to tackle it myself. I'd love to get some suggestions of what to do with the lawn, and maybe some ideas for beds / plants / stuff along the side. There's a mound of clay down the end that I need to spread into the rest of the lawn. I'm planning to eventually put a log cabin down the end that will take up most of the width, so that part I will just flatten out.

So how do I go about this

- should I rotovate the whole lot and mix in the clay from the bottom then flatten it all?
    - do I need to spray the exisiting grass first and then re-seed it after rotovating and flattening?
    - what can I use to roll / flatten it if I do this?
    - how much work is in this...could it be done in a weekend or will it take several days

Any suggestions or ideas or links to websites etc much appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Anyone??

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the soil like? if it's heavily compacted, it might be worth rotovating it.

might be worth keeping the pile of soil in case you wanted to put raised beds in.

Soil isn't too bad although I noticed it's dried out a fair bit after the weekend and is cracked in a couple of places around the edges. Someone suggested just spreading the mound of clay on top of the existing lawn without rotovating it, then re-seeding. Would this be a good idea? What depth of clay would need to go on top of the existing lawn? Would I need to spray the existing lawn first?

Cheers,

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Anyone??

:(

The first thing you need to do is spray that heavily weed infested patch with Roundup, wait 7-10 days and then remove waste and check levels. It might be possible to spread the small amount of soil across cleared surface, check for good level and perhaps lightly top dress with compost to prepare a base for sowing seed.

There are some deep shaded areas so you will need to consider whether you are retaining some/all existing trees and shrubs and if yes determining a lawn profile that does not result in bald patches because grass will not grow/grow well under constant shade canopy.

If you're planning some borders the exisiting shrubs will probably require at least 1 me depth for spread so have athink about what lawn profile/shape you prefer.

Good luck.

Ok I've been working away at the garden last couple of months. I sprayed the original grass (which had some scutch grass and weeds) with weedkiller and left it for a few weeks. Then I covered the original lawn with topsoil which I had taken from my front garden and leveled it all. So now I have the final leveling to do and remove stones etc.

I read on another website that when a lawn is at this stage it should be left for a few weeks again to let any weeds grow, then sprayed again to kill off new weeds, then sow the lawn seed. So I'm wondering do I need to do this or should I just sow lawn seed now? The topsoil I used is quite good and there didn't seem to be much weeds/roots in it.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions how to finish off from where I am now I'm all ears. I've attached a pic of how it looks now.

TIA.

• Advertisement

You did a very good job there, well done. You can allow area to settle and should new weed growth occur spray again. Alternatively why not mix a fine layer of compost and fertiliser (fish bone & blood) and rake and level into top surface to create a fine tilth/level. Roll ground and lay roll out turf, or seed area and lightly cover with compost and lightly roll. Lightly moisten area on regular basis (hardly necessary during current weather conditions) until new grass is at least 2"/50mm+ high. First cut due 4 weeks (roll turf) or 8 weeks (seed) and for first few cuts only very lightly trim (set blade height to no lower than mid-point) for first year.

Note: do not use any weedkiller on new lawn for at least 6-12 months.

You've done the hard work, so well done and best of luck with the green baize.

Hi Sonnenblumen thanks, was a struggle at times but got there in the end :)

My budget won't stretch to roll turf unfortunately, so I'll have to go with seed. The area is abut 13 m by 5 m so I'd imagine it would cost a far bit if I was to buy turf.

Do you know anywhere in northside Dublin I could get the compost and fertiliser that you mention...would garden centres have it? I have no clue really as I've never done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The only Garden i like is a beer Garden.

aka Ciaran
    You might get 65sqm turf for < € 200.00, seed will probably cost <€5.00 but a lot work to get through etc etc. You'll get all you need at Tully's (Ballyboughal), or the local Woodies might have the FB&B fertiliser.
    Cheers ;)
    Hi Sonnenblumen thanks, was a struggle at times but got there in the end :)

My budget won't stretch to roll turf unfortunately, so I'll have to go with seed. The area is abut 13 m by 5 m so I'd imagine it would cost a far bit if I was to buy turf.

Do you know anywhere in northside Dublin I could get the compost and fertiliser that you mention...would garden centres have it? I have no clue really as I've never done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

FB&B is about 20 for a big tub. Great stuff I find

• Advertisement

aka Ciaran
    You might get 65sqm turf for < € 200.00, seed will probably cost <€5.00 but a lot work to get through etc etc. You'll get all you need at Tully's (Ballyboughal), or the local Woodies might have the FB&B fertiliser.
    Cheers ;)

If the turf rolls came in at under 200 euro it may be worth considering...I would have thought for the area I have it would be closer to the 500 mark. Seems that seed is a lot more work as well and not guaranteed good results.

Thanks for the tips.

Hi again,

Well I went with lawn seed in the end. I got the soil as level as I could and loosened the top couple of inches, then rolled with an empty gas cylinder. I set the lawn seed about 4 weeks ago and the pictures show how it is now. It's quite patchy in a lot of it and I'm wondering how to improve it...should I plant more seed or wait till spring? If I plant seed now will it be affected by frost which we're likely to get in the next couple of weeks?

Thanks,
    Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Seed and lots more of it. How much did you use?
    If you don't get the grass going you might be left with a weed garden!
    It has being very dry so it would of benifited from a sprinkler..

The bottom right of your garden probably holds more water, thus the better growth and beside the walls.

Just saw it was done 4 weeks ago! Seed it as quick as possible.

Good job on the clearance.

Thanks Kodak.

I used about 50 grams of seed per square metre. I bought a kitchen scales and weighted it out, so I was pretty accurate. It was grade 3 seed so it's pretty hard wearing. You're right it was dry for a week or 10 days after I set the seed, so I watered it every 2nd day until it started raining.

The bottom right of the garden is growing the best, which is strange as it's the shadiest part.

So should I lash down some more seed then before it gets too cold? Should I do anything else, i.e. put fertiliser/fish meal/peat moss on after I put the new seed down?

The new lawn should be more developed at this point after 4 weeks? Anyways it looks very patchy and I'd be a little concerned with the type and nr of weeds becoming established. Nip the weeds now, water first then pull to remove root system.

You should sew more grass seed, lightly cover with compost and water gently each day. You shouldn't need all that netting etc thats going to inhibiut new growth/germination.

You can plant almost anytime, bar extreme frost and now is an ideal time. We've just started the planting phase of a very large site and project. A significant nr of trees and shrubs involved. Soil conditions are excellent at the moment, well we did do very good ground prep over the last few weeks.

Hi Sonnenblumen, I agree it probably should be more developed at this stage.

I thought I done everything by the book; sprayed the original grass and weeds, leveled fresh topsoil on top of this, let the weeds grow again in this and then pulled them, leveled again and then spread growmore fertiliser, then planted the seed. I put down the netting and ribbons to stop birds having a feast at my expense.

Defo going to plant more seed tomorrow...is it any harm to walk on the new grass that has grown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I used about 50 grams of seed per square metre.

I sowed ours 3 weeks ago and used 90g per square meter (1000 sq meters of it)... It's coming on well on one side and a little slower on the other where a stone ditch was taken out..

I'd recommend you sow more seed and pull/spot treat any perennial weeds before they get established..

Have faith, growth is slowed up at this time of year, but it will come on..

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Ciaran,

I have been reading your thread and am very interested to know what the grass looks like now.

I have to do exactly the same job in my back garden, and want to put in a few raised vegetable beds.

How did your garden turn out?

I threw down another boxful of seed after my last post which was about 3 weeks ago, and it's been coming on nicely since. If you look at it from the back door the grass looks quite thick, although it is a little thin still when you actually stand in the middle of it. I'm definitely happier now than I was a few weeks ago, it looks like some of the seeds take longer to germinate than others, so a bit of patience is required.

There are a fair few weeds though so I'm not sure whether to spot treat those or wait and mow them out of it...think i read somewhere that mowing and the grass getting stronger will get rid of them eventually.

I'll try to post some new pics in the next day or two.

I'd love to see photos.

So... when are you coming to do mine ???

I'm really not looking forward to this job.

D

• Advertisement

Well I am available for consultancy at a reasonable rate :)

I did mine over the summer which helped..starting now in the winter when it's dark and potentially frosty isn't very appealing. Also maybe you should ask the more experienced guys on this site if this is the right time of year to do it. Maybe you'd be better waiting till spring.

Ciaran,

Get your people to contact mine to discuss the rate.

I will not be starting until Spring. I'm just at the planning stages at the moment. I want to gather the information first and set to it then.

Our garden is completely under-utilised and we want rid of the weeds first, then set about building raised vegetable beds and start growing our own. It will be great for the kids to eat what we grow ourselves - hopefully.

Well if you need some help I'm sure we can arrange something...I'll get my people on it straight away.

It's very daunting at first when you stand there looking at the thing before you start, but very rewarding a few months later looking out at a nice new garden with freshly grown grass, all done with your own hands. I got a couple of quotes from landscapers but I couldn't afford what they were asking so this meant I had to do it myself. I definitely learned a lot and had to do a fair bit of research along the way, and looking back I'm very happy that I did it.

You're well ahead of the game if you're not starting until the spring, plenty of time for ideas and research before you have to get your hands dirty :)

(By the way I'll try to get pics up over the weekend as it's dark in the evenings now when I get back from work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There are a fair few weeds though so I'm not sure whether to spot treat those or wait and mow them out of it...think i read somewhere that mowing and the grass getting stronger will get rid of them eventually.

A new lawn will throw up a selection of one-off weeds like red shank, once you mow they're gone.. If however you have any residual perennial weeds they would be better killed once big enough to treat...

Our lawn was on a patch of farmland where cattle were fed outdoors, is has lots of docks, I gathered about 10 bags of roots when laying the lawn.. I've been spot treating those which have come up with a strong mixture of roundup.

I'll be applying some of the "0" fertilisers soon.. 0-7-30 or 0-10-20, whichever I can buy bags off in the co-op.

Good to know about the perennials might just lash them out of it at some point. Here's the latest and greatest pics, grass has come on nicely in the last couple of weeks. It looks thick standing at the back door but looking at the third pic which is a close up it's still a bit thin. Hopefully though it will thicken as time goes on. Not sure whether to give it the first mow yet or wait until spring.

Ciaran,

Your garden turned out very well. Looking back at the first photographs you put up, the garden is considerably brighter and cheerful now. Well done - all of your hard work has repaid well deserved dividends to you.

Thanks for the photos.

Enjoy your garden. It looks great.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hows the garden looking now ?

It's looking pretty ok now. The grass went a little bit brown over the winter and hasn't grown any more, but I'm hoping this is natural and it will come back to itself once the Spring arrives. I didn't cut it yet either, so hopefully in the next few weeks when things warm up a bit I'll get to do it and that'll bring it back to life.

Advertisement