Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for you guys

Options
  • 24-05-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Firstly, this is my first time in the Astronomy sectionn on boards. I am posting today to ask you guys a question and to see if any one can shed some light on something for me.

Last night I was looking out the window of my apartment (Clonsilla) and I noticed a bright orange light in the sky (11.30pm) it was very high in the sky and was moving at what seemed to be very high speed. Firstly I taught it was an aeroplane but it had no other lights like you would see on a plane, i.e on the tail and wings. About 10 mins later my friend notice another light the same colour moving in the same direction.

To you guys this maybe a stupid question but was there any astronomical
    activity in the skys last night??

Cheers Guys
    Keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

People in the Dublin City forum are talking about seeing a rocket this morning. I know you sighted this last night, but perhaps there's a connection.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573324

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

You may be seeing satellites, reflecting the suns rays. I used to look at those lights all the time years ago and wonder what I was seeing. Definitely not planes, as I fished out a pair of binoculars from the attic to check them out and there were no flashing lights that you would normally see from the wing, tail or belly of an aircraft.

Lots of people who take the time to look at the night sky to check out the stars see them and wonder the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That daylight shot on the other thread was an aircraft and not a rocket (the contrail broke up, which doesn't happen with rockets). The event last night was probably largish debris entering the atmosphere, especially since it was orange. Did it leave a trail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

There was an ISS (international Space Station) pass over Dublin at about 23:15 on Saturday - but it would have been low down, not high up.

Other than that, it sounds like a typical satellite - especially if you saw a second object. Some satellites (particularly military ones) would be synchronised in pairs, triplets or even more...

For your info, you can FREE predictions (no need to pay any kind of fee for a text) on www.heavens-above.com for all kinds of solar system object visible in the sky.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 woodsideplumber

prob iss or some other satellite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement