Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Dead Guitarist

Options
  • 24-05-2009 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

This came up with a few friends recently. one said Jimmy Hendrix. my fave is Jeff Buckley. got us thinking, though my brain wouldnt work after a few more obvious ones

would love to hear what you all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Favourite guitarists that are no longer with us : Terry Kath (original guitarist with "Chicago"), Emily Remler, Rory Gallagher, and Jimmy Faulkner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Cant forget Randy rhoads!!

And hes not dead but might as well be as he cant play anymore as he has ALS,Jason becker.

(this is a cover of Altitudes and Air,but they are as good as the originals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

That's easy, it has to be Randy Rhoads! The original guitarist of Ozzy Osbourne! He also was the guitarist of Quiet Riot at the age of 17!

He was awesome and he died oh so young and it was oh so sad. :( He died at the age of 25 in a plane crash when the band stopped off somewhere to rest and that night the driver asked Rhoads if he wanted to go for a plane ride that night and he went with him and the plane crashed killing Rhoads and the driver and the hairdresser. It was so sad. :(
    Zakk Wylde can't hold a candle to Rhoads talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Eddie Hazel. 1950-1992. Guitarist for Parliament-Funkadelic in the early 70s.

Mick Ronson. 1946-1993. Guitarist for David Bowie in the Ziggy Stardust era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Rory Gallagher and Jimi Hendrix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

+1 with the Rory Gallagher and Jimi Hendrix. Not really much competition there imo.

Honourable mention goes to George Harrison. Obviously really well known, but an incredibly underrated guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Danny Whitten, Rory Gallagher, Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

i like cake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'd say Rory Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

another vote for Rory

all you have to do is listen to The Irish Tour '74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

+10000000000000000 on the Randy Rhodes nomination.

Im surprised (happily) that no Nirvana kids have been here yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

Starfox wrote: »
    i like cake

have you tried orange chocolate cake wrapped in pancakes???

... its ace.

thanks to everyone so far. Bit upset that nobody backed me up on the J Buckley vote. technically gifted, and a great songwriter (I wasnt really just looking for the best shredder or riff-writer)???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Also, I must add, you should never forget Andres Segovia, generally considered the greatest guitarist, of any genre, to have lived (he taught John Willams too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrés_Segovia

And, of course, Django Reinhardt, the best swing guitarist to have lived:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Django_Reinhardt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Dimebag Darrel Abbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Rory Gallagher

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimi Hendrix

Roy Buchanan

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Rory Gallagher. Gifted man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Mick Ronson was the master and his work with Bowie is hard to beat especially on The Man Who Sold the World and Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sanes Prettiest Star.

Glen Buxton from the Alice Cooper Band in the 70s classics such as Schools Out and Billion Dollar Babies.

George Harrison of the Beatles is always understated and never wasted a note.The guitar on Something is so pure.Sitar on Norwegian Wood. He went unnoticed on Lennons Imagine Album. Lovely hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

+ 1 for John Martyn. BTW, Some People Are Crazy: The John Martyn Story is a fantastic book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Seeing people are including folk players how about Ronnie Drew who was a very stylised player who blended flamenco fingerpicking with Irish music. Very underrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Most mentioned already but:

Django Reinhardt (jazz)
    Wes Montgomery (jazz)
    John Lee Hooker (blues)
    Robert Johnson (blues)
    Randy Rhodes (rock)
    Andres Segovia (classical)
    Carlos Montoya (classical)
    Frank Zappa (eh...zappa I suppose)

Jimi was the best though. The more I hear of his later recordings the greater the loss of what could have been seems. As an aside, just noticed I have the same model Charvel 750XL that Shawn Lane uses in that first youtube video sitting at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

a vote a for
    George Harrison
    Perhaps the only real musical talent in the Beatles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Rob_l wrote: »
    a vote a for
    George Harrison
    Perhaps the only real musical talent in the Beatles

Are you serious? Paul McCartney is rightly recognised as one of the great rock bass players.

The Replacements Bob Stinson was a great player, pretty much forgotten now

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

my god, 25 posts and Robert Johnson, without whom many famous guitarists would be workin in tesco and we'd never hear of them- is only mentioned once,

the man is a legend....(literallly, if you follow the story!). he influenced so so many great great guitarists,

apart from him i'd definitely include Rory, jimi hendrix and john lee hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Rory, Stevie Ray, Zappa :cool:

Legends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Not so much about his technical ability, was an amazing writer (pretty good guitarist too :))

Advertisement