Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stereo '97 Polo

Options
  • 23-05-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hey, not exactly the right place but the most accurate section I could find.

Just got a '97 polo, it came with the OEM Sony stereo removed and a pioneer cd player with no cables. I believe the previous owner had some speakers in the back because there are a few speaker cable ends in the boot.

Anyway, I got the right ISO cable from ebay and plugged in the radio cable and it all works but no sound.

So I eventually found 2 green cables that lead direct into the front 2 speakers (their the ones that came with the car) but I have literally no idea where they go...

Any ideas? Hopefully it's something simple.

Cheers in advance.

img00069g.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/More_Information/ISO_wiring.htm

you'll have to cut the plugs off the cables you have there and attach them to the wiring going into the radio. trace the standard wiring for the front speakers down along and see where they end up. the previous owner may have used amps and messed around with the wiring. the original wires may be still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Hey, thanks for that.

I'd say that's exactly what he did. The pictured green cable leads directly into the left front and the second one to the right front.

So I have to cut the plug ends off, strip it a small bit and attach them to the ISO plug that I got off ebay and plug the whole thing into the back of the pioneer cd player / radio? Is this correct?

If so that sounds easy, how would I attach the cables to the ISO plug?

Thanks again.

the handiest way would be to strip back the correct cables and attach the speaker wires there, rather than messing with the plug itself.

wrap with electrical tape and off ya go!

you could also use scotch locks if you're a little ham-fisted ;)
    32d6_1.JPG

Ok stripping the wires sounds like the best bet and I have electrical tape and skinny fingers.

The only thing is, from the diagram you posted my ISO cable is sideways if you get me?

The one in the diagram is...

2468 10 Fuse

But mine are...

78 10 Fuse

My camera phone is acting up so apologies for my lame diagrams

depends which way you look at the plug? picture is of where the ISO plugs in.

look at the plug A and note that the clip is offset to one side. compare that with your both sides of your plug and see does it make sense now.

You can just go on the wire colours anyway, note how the colours are paired
    green and green/black
    white and white/black
    grey and grey/black. these are all the pairs going to each speaker.

• Advertisement

Ah I see it now, I was looking at the stereo as apposed to the cables.

Right, I now know I've to strip (slightly) wires 3/4 and 5/6. I think I'll go down the scotch lock route actually just to have it neat and over and done with.

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

no problems, make sure to strap the the extra wires to the loom so there's no pressure on them.

Hey guys,

Just to follow up on this post.

Its all been working great for the past few months except for one issue, my radio never remembers the stations that I program in.

I turn on the radio, tune in and store the stations so I can scroll through them. If I turn off the engine but leave my keys in and turn the radio off and on again the stations are remembered but if I completely shut off the car all the stations are wiped.

Is it not getting enough power or is there a second idle power cable required to remember the stations?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

VW's have funny wiring for the ignition live and permanent live, you need to swap the 2. there's probably bullet type connectors on those wires that you can swap.

Incase there isn't the permanent live is the solid yellow wire and the ignition live is the solid red one.

you're an absolute genius man, thanks a million. All sorted now (used the little plastic things I had left over from my previous post to swap red and yellow)!

• Advertisement
Advertisement