Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to get an o2 broadband dongle working in Ubuntu?

Options
  • 23-05-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I was just wondering if theres anyway to get an o2 broadband dongle working in Ubuntu? I have wireless broadband which i use without problem. I am just wondering for future reference if any of these dongles are compatible with Ubuntu or any other distros? Also is it hard to get them working and how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

In 9.04 (Jaunty) I just plug it in, and after a short wait it asks me my country, network, and PIN. That's all. Each subsequent time it remembers these details. This is with a Huawei E220. What dongle and version of Ubuntu are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

See this thread and read the sticky in Midband Forum

If your using the latest ubuntu or the latest version of network manager your modem should work in ubuntu.
    Regards,
    J.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

The network manager applet works fine for me using a huawei e220 modem. If you want a bit more control and access to text messaging I find that the vodafone mobile client is great: https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

Despite the name it's not just for vodafone. I use it for meteor pre pay and I find being able to buy day / month passes with the text message function is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 driver8

Hi,

I posted last year on this topic and acknowledge the help and advice offered by 'corkie' and 'An Fear Aniar'.

With their help, and an upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10, I could connect OK. However, speed was very poor, and I read elsewhere that network coverage/contention issues hamper mobile broadband service in Ireland.

Recently, I've been using a dual-boot (Windows XP SP3/Ubuntu 9.04) laptop at home and noticed that, while both XP and Ubuntu can use the USB dongle to connect to the internet, Ubuntu's data transfer speed is consistently much slower. Not that XP's speed is particularly fast, but that's a different story :)

O2 supply Huawei's Windows-based application with options such as choosing the network type: 3G only/3G preferred, etc. Network Manager does not seem to offer the same degree of control. I suspect that it falls back to the lowest common denominator (GSM) because the signal is poor.

1) Have others noticed anything similar?
    2) What would you advise to raise "3G" performance in Ubuntu to that of Windows XP?

Thanks.

driver8 wrote: »
    2) What would you advise to raise "3G" performance in Ubuntu to that of Windows XP?

Thanks.

See the link in my post above. It's branded as a vodafone network manager for linux but I use it almost daily for my meteor account. It offers you practically all of the options of the native huawei app such as 3G preferred etc.

https://forge.betavine.net/frs/?group_id=12

edit: Ubuntu's network manager will connect in 3G mode if the signal strength is anyway decent but the vodafone app is much better when the signal is weaker.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, baz8080. I'll try the link you suggested when I get home later, and will keep you posted.

Thanks and regards.

Hope it works for you. You'll need 2 files from that page: The first is the usb-modeswitch deb and the second is the client itself. I'm using this one: https://forge.betavine.net/frs/download.php/503/vodafone-mobile-connect_svn20090502_all.deb

The main client deb will also need to install some python packages but they're relatively small although there are about 20 of them.

When you install the client it should create a new icon in your menu under 'internet'. When you launch it should detect the modem and then you will have to enter in your profile details such as access point name and your account details.

If you have problems you can run it from a terminal and see what is happening more clearly. There will be two apps starting with vodafone so just type that and tab for the full name. One ends in -debug which I found useful to give me a better idea of what was going on.

O2 supply Huawei's Windows-based application with options such as choosing the network type: 3G only/3G preferred, etc. Network Manager does not seem to offer the same degree of control. I suspect that it falls back to the lowest common denominator (GSM) because the signal is poor.

1) Have others noticed anything similar?

Thanks.

Just a theory here, When use the device on different machines/OS, the device keeps it's setting's from last time used. So when used in ubuntu, it inerts the poor connection from windows.

The solution I used , was to re-initialise the modem with AT strings. It happened occasionally on the E220.

It's going back to PPP scripts to reset the device using AT strings.
    See here.
    It's "Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0" I believed I used!

Just going on memory here!
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Firstly, a big thank you to baz8080 - the utility you mentioned worked a treat. I followed your installation instructions and am delighted to have more control over the e220 modem. I can now eke out what bandwidth is available - thanks.

You're probably right, corkie - I have long suspected that the e220 has some memory of the last successful connection. I'm intrigued that you can reset that memory using AT codes - how do I issue them to the modem?

You're probably right, corkie - I have long suspected that the e220 has some memory of the last successful connection. I'm intrigued that you can reset that memory using AT codes - how do I issue them to the modem?

The short answer is there a few ways to do it (like everything else in linux)

One of the GUI way's
    KPPP >>> Configure >>> modems >>> new/edit >> modem >>>
    >>> modem commands.
    You could put the commands in there.
    init1 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    init2 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<the networks APN here>"

Long answer if there is demand for it I might do up a guide for doing this.
    The init strings above or for hauwei e220.

Haven't used it in a good while, using a different modem now, and only use my E220 as backup or when I use up my limit on my O2 account.

>>>> Confirmed my theory, played around with settings for my E220 under W7RC, whatever I did on the same computer running ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic). NM wouldn't establish a connection.
    Connected to my netbook, ran the above kPPP. Got connected. Pluged it back into the desktop.
    and NM established a connection straight away. Round up the week's use of 3pay. To update and install a few packages. <<<<<<<<<<

Regards,
    John
    482464087.png482475354.png
    The above connecting with kPPP and below connected with NM afterwards
    482478393.png

Note: My E220 is networked unlocked and firmware flashed with Generic hauwei firmware
    What is the corrected APN for meteor, I spent 10 in a fews hours because i used the wrong APN?

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    Note: My E220 is networked unlocked and firmware flashed with Generic hauwei firmware
    What is the corrected APN for meteor, I spent 10 in a fews hours because i used the wrong APN?

I use broadband.mymeteor.ie and I made sure to buy a 30 day pass before I started to use it. It's been working pretty well since despite the coverage being pretty rubbish in the apartment.

Advertisement