Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to buy an iPhone 3G, and unlock - need to know pros/cons/risks

Options
  • 23-05-2009 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I really want to buy an iPhone 3G, but I don't want to use it on o2, I want to keep my current (very good) contract with 3.

I know software modifications void the warranty, so I plan to use it for a few weeks on o2, just in case there's a fault with it, so it would be covered. I figure I'd find any problems in the first couple of weeks, and they'd be covered if I haven't jailbreak-ed it etc.

I know from reading the other threads that they can be jailbreak-ed, but I want to know what are the chances of it becoming an expensive paperweight?

I have a few questions:
    After jailbreaking it, and unlocking it, will it still have full functionality?
    Will I still be able to use it as normal with itunes etc.
    What happens when software updates come out? Can they be installed? Will they undo everything I've done? Would they brick the phone?

Any other helpful info / tips about risks / problems etc. when doing this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

walshb5 wrote: »
    I really want to buy an iPhone 3G, but I don't want to use it on o2, I want to keep my current (very good) contract with 3.

I know software modifications void the warranty, so I plan to use it for a few weeks on o2, just in case there's a fault with it, so it would be covered. I figure I'd find any problems in the first couple of weeks, and they'd be covered if I haven't jailbreak-ed it etc.

I know from reading the other threads that they can be jailbreak-ed, but I want to know what are the chances of it becoming an expensive paperweight?

I have a few questions:
    After jailbreaking it, and unlocking it, will it still have full functionality?
    Will I still be able to use it as normal with itunes etc.
    What happens when software updates come out? Can they be installed? Will they undo everything I've done? Would they brick the phone?

Any other helpful info / tips about risks / problems etc. when doing this would be greatly appreciated!
    • Yes, after jailbreaking/unlocking it you will have functionality, even more after jailbreaking.
    • Yes, it will sync with itunes as it would normally.
    • When software updates come out it will relock the phone so its best not to install them untill someone has cracked the new update.
    • There's a major software update being released during the summer. Kinda pointless in unlocking now.
    • Your better off just to buy one factory unlocked from Czech Republic, France, Italy, Australia and New Zealand.
    • 3 sim cards are slightly different to others, will probably work but with a few bugs.

Hope this helps, anybody feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 walshb5

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    • Your better off just to buy one factory unlocked from Czech Republic, France, Italy, Australia and New Zealand.
    !

That does sound like a better option, are they freely available not locked to a network in those countries?

Cheers 00Blain00, That's a big help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

walshb5 wrote: »
    That does sound like a better option, are they freely available not locked to a network in those countries?

Cheers 00Blaine00, That's a big help!

It depends, in Czech Republic their not locked down to any network at all, you can just walk in, buy it and go home. Where as in Australia when you buy it its lock to the network but after spending $120 in credit they'll unlock it for you, or you can just pay the $120 on the spot.

I'm moving to Australia myself next month so Iv looked into it, Im thinking of selling my own iPhone and buying one over there.

Anyway heres a list of the countries and which ones are locked to the network.

Advertisement