Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide (Canon10-22/Sigma10-20/Tokina11-6)

Options
  • 23-05-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I know I'll be asking a lot here but if anyone has a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 along with an EF-S 17-85 is there any chance I could get someone to take 2 shots with the Tokina, 1 at 11 and 1 at 16 and then 1 with the EF-S 17-85 at 17. I need to get an ultra wide for my 40d and this seems to tick all the boxes but I want to be sure that when spending this much it'll be worth it for the 2.8.

Would this be a better choice excluding the 2.8 over the canon 10-22/sigma 10-20 for static motor photography/wedding/family situations.

Finally is Tokina full frame compatible? I'm considering going 5d mk2 late this year. I know the canon/sigma are not compatible although I've heard people say you can still use them. Anyone know where I'd stand here.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If your considering going up to the 5dmk2 then the 17-40L is the best bet, it really shines on full frame

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

Borderfox wrote: »
    If your considering going up to the 5dmk2 then the 17-40L is the best bet, it really shines on full frame
    Unfortunately I don't have that much money, I won't be going full frame for several months and I need the super wide sooner rather than later.

Muttly wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't have that much money, I won't be going full frame for several months and I need the super wide sooner rather than later.
    Also as I already have a 17mm EF-S I won't have any extra use for it for now, it'd be an upgrade albeit on a longer zoom over what I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

dont have the 17-85 but i have the 11-16 and two shots one at 11 one at 16

At 11
    3435941998_a65c3b8022.jpg?v=0

At 16
    3456279271_0d70f94177.jpg?v=0

prob wont help any , as borderfox mentioned on a full frame id go for the 17-40 on a crop the 11-16 is regarded as the best. dont think the 11-16 will work on a full frame either its designed for APS-C sensors (50D,40D,400,450 etc...)

I know I'm being cheeky but I was hoping for the 3 shots to be taken at the same time aiming at the same thing for a proper comparison.

Thanks for those shots though. It does look like a pretty impressive bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

have sigma 10-20+ 17-85 if you've any interest in seeing those three shots?? i know you've asked 11 16 but you've mentioned the sigma as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Muttly wrote: »
    I know I'm being cheeky but I was hoping for the 3 shots to be taken at the same time aiming at the same thing for a proper comparison.

Thanks for those shots though. It does look like a pretty impressive bit of kit.

hmmm i prob have a load of them somewhere on the hard drive but the best i can do is -

At 11
    3460778854_bba8a7f671.jpg?v=0

At 16
    3460779734_2fc11528d2.jpg?v=0

have sigma 10-20+ 17-85 if you've any interest in seeing those three shots?? i know you've asked 11 16 but you've mentioned the sigma as well.
    I'd appreciate that. I'm still undecided as I said, the only thing that's swaying me is the 2.8.
    Trizo wrote: »
    hmmm i prob have a load of them somewhere on the hard drive but the best i can do is -

At 11
    3460778854_bba8a7f671.jpg?v=0

At 16
    3460779734_2fc11528d2.jpg?v=0
    Thats perfect. Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

none of the ultra wide angle lenses mentioned work on full frame so depends on whether you want it now, 11mm would distort the hell out of people

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have the sigma 10-20, here's a selection of shots taken with it
    http://www.barrysomers.com/blog/index.php?x=browse&category=5

• Advertisement

none of the ultra wide angle lenses mentioned work on full frame so depends on whether you want it now, 11mm would distort the hell out of people
    I could live with that as generally on the ultra wides the centre of the lens is still clear, it just towards the edge that you get distorted. Having it now would far out weigh the benefits of using it on the full frame later on as the 40d will be kept as a backup anyway.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I have the sigma 10-20, here's a selection of shots taken with it
    http://www.barrysomers.com/blog/index.php?x=browse&category=5
    Thanks for that. Some lovely shots there.

Advertisement