Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What does CD mean on car licence plates?

Options
  • 23-05-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Quick question before it drives me mad. I see a lot of cars that have CD on the licence plate and I am wondering what the story is with it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Its A Car belonging to a Diplomat/embassy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Corps Diplomatique

My spelling may be incorrect

It's used by embassy staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

mikemac wrote: »
    Corps Diplomatique

My spelling may be incorrect

It's used by embassy staff

There was a Cake Delivery guy going around London for years on CD plates, apparently CD had no legal status at the time. I don't know if it does here - it was basically just a warning to cops and wardens not to waste their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It doesn't have any legal status. In fact, I think it may be illegal to display it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

It doesn't have any legal status. In fact, I think it may be illegal to display it!

Maybe so, but it seems to give any cars with the sticker a license to park where ever they want. They are regularly spotted around Dublin double parked/Yellow lines/ wheel chair spots with no clamps or parking fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Thanks for clearing that up! But what gives them the right to park whereever they want? What is so special about being employed to an embassy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Thanks for clearing that up! But what gives them the right to park whereever they want? What is so special about being employed to an embassy?

Diplomatic immunity. You won't get charged with anything by the local police. If you do commit a real crime, it's handled through diplomatic channels, and the worst that the locals can do is ask that you be sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

Hi Guys,

Quick question before it drives me mad. I see a lot of cars that have CD on the licence plate and I am wondering what the story is with it?

Thanks!

Cant Drive....usually followed a few weeks later by GB....Getting Better.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

On my regular commute I've recently noticed lots of CD cars driving in bus lanes. I usen't see very many doing so until relatively recently. Now they all seem to be at it (during the AM and PM rush hour). If they'll happily drive in bus lanes where do you draw the line? What's to stop them breaking red lights, speeding, driving the wrong way down one way streeets?!! In my view it is a terrible abuse of a priviledge. I hope Irish diplomats overseas don't carry on similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gruver wrote: »
    I hope Irish diplomats overseas don't carry on similarly.
    What do you think :D ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

meesa wrote: »
    Cant Drive....usually followed a few weeks later by GB....Getting Better.

Oh, the irony! ..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

On my regular commute I've recently noticed lots of CD cars driving in bus lanes. I usen't see very many doing so until relatively recently. Now they all seem to be at it (during the AM and PM rush hour). If they'll happily drive in bus lanes where do you draw the line? What's to stop them breaking red lights, speeding, driving the wrong way down one way streeets?!! In my view it is a terrible abuse of a priviledge. I hope Irish diplomats overseas don't carry on similarly.

Martin 'the prick' Cullen likes to take the chopper..... preferably with the all the doors closed! :D

flight-simulator.jpg

news7.jpg

http://ireland.indymedia.org/attachments/aug2008/cullensunind10aug08.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

If they'll happily drive in bus lanes where do you draw the line? What's to stop them breaking red lights, speeding, driving the wrong way down one way streeets?!! In my view it is a terrible abuse of a priviledge. I hope Irish diplomats overseas don't carry on similarly.

Oh ffs - grow up.

Theres some knobhead on youtube who shares ur concerns. Lemons the pair of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Considerate Driver....

... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you had a magic badge meaning you could drive wherever you like then would you not use it?

CD drivers do it and so do Taxi Drivers so wouldn't you take your chance if you were legally able to?

BTW Zombie thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If they'll happily drive in bus lanes where do you draw the line?

You can't draw any line :)

If you ever decide to murder someone, become a diplomat first so you can get away with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

recycle wrote: »
    Oh ffs - grow up.

Theres some knobhead on youtube who shares ur concerns. Lemons the pair of you.

Nice bit of undertaking by the taxi driver there. He crossed a continuous white line too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I hope Irish diplomats overseas don't carry on similarly.
    Alun wrote: »
    What do you think :D ?

Having recently spent some time in Canada with an Irish diplomat that not true.

She and her boy friend had to sign a waiver before they got their Canadian driving licences stating that any fines etc relating to their car would be dealt by them and not the Irish government.

They had a few interesting stories about what happened when one of them had to work in an Canadian army base

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Gruver

I wouldn't be ar**d videoing someone in a CD car driving in a bus lane. I just don't think that they should do it. In most cases if the head of their own diplomatic service in their own country knew what they were at they wouldn't approve. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

nice to know they can afford to drive around in Bmw 550i :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tooler7 wrote: »
    nice to know they can afford to drive around in Bmw 550i :eek:
    No VRT on diplomatic cars.

free petrol aswell yeah :D

Would i be correct in saying aswell that the gov pay for these cars aswell

Advertisement