Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the original recipe for Boxty...Leitrim style.

Options
  • 23-05-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

My aunt used to make the most beautiful Boxty loaf you could ever eat many years ago........... but I never got the recipe from her...:(

Anyone got the correct Recipe for "The Leitrim style boxty"..;)
    Living in Galway now and boxty is not heard of down here....:confused:
    Up home every few months and McNiff's boxty tastes pretty close to
    my aunts recipe..:)
    I plan to start making boxty myself...:)..of coarse for my own consumption..:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

oh god i love boxty...try explaining it to people from outside leitrim and they think your mad, especially since i eat mine with a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top after I fry it almost crispy with butter, healthy stuff!! I think the brand my mum buys is Dromad boxty, it's yum! my sister is over in the states at the moment, and i've been requested to bring some over on my next visit!
    there's a boxty restaurant up here in Dublin, but I've never been, meant to be nice though! no idea on recipes for it though, sorry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

becah wrote: »
    oh god i love boxty...try explaining it to people from outside leitrim and they think your mad, especially since i eat mine with a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top after I fry it almost crispy with butter, healthy stuff!! I think the brand my mum buys is Dromad boxty, it's yum! my sister is over in the states at the moment, and i've been requested to bring some over on my next visit!
    there's a boxty restaurant up here in Dublin, but I've never been, meant to be nice though! no idea on recipes for it though, sorry!!

yep becah..as the say.."quare name ..but great stuff"....:D
    I'd rather the boxty loaf compared to the dumplings or the pan boxty.
    The taste is away better...:)
    Just found a recipe on this site http://www.ncte.ie/viking/recire.htm
    and its from Butlersbridge, Co. Cavan...sounds pretty close to me..:)

Time to get grating a few spuds..:cool:

This recipe is taken from this site.

BOXTY LOAF

Ingredients:

500g of white flour
    500g of raw potatoes
    250g of boiled mashed potatoes
    250g of butter or margarine
    Salt to flavour

Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl.
    Strain, discard the liquid and put the pulp into a large mixing bowl.
    Melt the butter and mix with the mashed potatoes and salt
    Add to the potato pulp and knead the dough lightly.
    Shape into a loaf.
    Wrap completely in muslin cloth and place in a pan of hot water bring to the boil and simmer for approximately two and a half hours.
    Drain and cool completely. Remove muslin cloth.
    Store in fridge ready for use.
    Slice thinly as required and fry in butter on a hot pan until golden brown.
    Serve immediately with salt and butter.

Variation pancake boxty.
    Ingredients as above omitting the boiled potatoes.
    Mix flour and potato pulp.
    Flavour with salt. Add milk to make a creamy consistency.
    Cook thinly on a hot well oiled pan to a golden brown.
    Serve immediately.

"Hunger is a good sauce."

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

becah wrote: »

Sugar on it becal, never tried that, but crispy with real butter, thats the way to have it.

Galaghers Boxty House was going about 20 years ago in the Temple Bar area, and i just Googled it. Still there and serving good food as per the reviews. The gallaghers are originally from Mohill.

Your right there decal when you try to explain boxty to an outsider, just like another old Leitrim favourite "the egg in a mug".

Whenever I am in Leitrim, I usually have the Shannonside pan boxty, the loaf is harder to get.

Boxty fried in butter & served with butter, just mouth wateing. You can feel your arteries harden with the thought of it.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

.."quare name ..but great stuff"
    -brilliant!

I'm more of a pan-boxty girl myself, but the loaf can be nice too!
    Oh you have to try it with sugar, it's so so good, its weird as I never add sugar to things, e.g. in tea, on cornflakes etc, but for some reason since I was a kid whenever I had boxty I'd sprinkle sugar on it, and all my brothers and sisters do the same, my grandparents are from Mohill, and I think we might have copied it from them, so maybe it's a Mohill thing!!

It's so good served with really crispy rashers, kinda like how they eat their pancakes in the States with maple syrup and bacon! I'm gettin hungry just typing, can't wait for my next Leitrim visit!!

Gallaghers, that's the place I was thinking of, whenever I walk by it seems to be really busy, which is great, I must pop in sometime for a boxty fix!

Also, I saw it on the menu as part of a dish in Victoria Hall in Carrick, http://www.victoriahall.ie/Lunch/lunch.html it's a thai fusion place, and it serves thai food served in boxty as a boxty wrap, could be an interesting combination, not sure if it'd beat sugar and rashers though!!!

I've seen it all now.....:)
    Thai beef garlic boxty wrap
    Sauteed slices of beef with onions, peppers
    and garlic soya sauce

Think i'd rather have it on its own or with a few slices of streaky Bacon and a few sausages...:)
    Ah ye i remember having it with sugar when i was a gosson,I think my aunt
    used to eat it with sugar....It made it even more tempting....:cool:
    I guess that was the way they used to eat it in Aughavas as well as Mohill.

About 15 years ago i remember bringing back a few boxty dumplings from home and had them kept in the fridge of a rented house i was sharing at the time.
    The girls and lads in the house used to look oddly into the fridge every time the visited the fridge .
    i think they were afraid to ask me what these gray round things were in the fridge..:)
    So...one evening i decided that i'd throw some boxty on the pan..Then one of the girls landed and started looking into the pan...and asked me what i was doing....:rolleyes:
    i said i was frying some boxty...she asked whats that?? so i gave her a brief
    description of what it was...She burst out laughing...and said we all thought
    that the dumplings were Round balls of putty that i had for work....:D

So it must be only a Leitrim dish...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

theres a boxty club on Facebook, 500 member who knew the tastiest dish in the land would have so many followers :eek:

ljcoolk wrote: »
    theres a boxty club on Facebook, 500 member who knew the tastiest dish in the land would have so many followers :eek:

There hardly all from Leitrim...:D
    Just found this ...is a pity she doesn't finish it off...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXIBquiqgY

Row wrote: »
    There hardly all from Leitrim...:D
    Just found this ...is a pity she doesn't finish it off...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXIBquiqgY

The follow on to that video is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghPNXa0ahs

The Cavan Monaghan Rural Development site below has the instructions with links to youtube boxty making
    http://www.cmrd.ie/how-to-make-boxty-page36896.html

enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

McNiff's is the best i think the other stuff is just potato bread type stuff and not as good
    you can eat it raw too slice off a piece to be chewin while its heatin on the pan
    i have to grill mine now- sigh! but shir its a great excuse to lash on the butter afterwards:D

was it me or did kiltoghert butter have a savage awful smell and taste in the end fec you couldnt swallow it with a clothes peg on your snout
    ugh!!

Dromod is more real tasting that McNiffs, but non compare to making your own.

It isnt just a leitrim thing. It is a mid north west thing. They put lumps of bacon in their loafs in Fermanagh.

The boxty place in templebar is pan boxty stuffed with savory fillings. That just seems wrong tbh.
    Cornucopia on Wicklow St used to serve boxty in their breakfast menu.

The boxty used in the Victioria Hall wrap, is crepe like. I think you find that more as you move towards westmeath. It is called Rasp.

I suck at making potato bread, this upsets me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

you can only get better anyway your actually making it:)
    the rats would run a mile if they saw me coming with flour and eggs and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ljcoolk

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Dromod is more real tasting that McNiffs, but non compare to making your own. :(

I think Dromod is the best packet boxty around, wish they sold it up the big smoke might have a chat with Tesco's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tothewest

hi all,

i remember reading an article in the leitrim guardian years ago about boxty and its popularity in the bright sparkling jewel of the west (that would be leitrim to the non believers out there :)), towards the end of the article there was a little poem which went as follows "boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan, it you dont eat boxty you're not a leitrim man (or woman). actually if i remember correctly the particular article may have been about the opening of gallaghers boxty house in templebar wonder does this jog any memories out there, think the article might have been 15-20 yrs ago.

tothewest wrote: »
    hi all,

i remember reading an article in the leitrim guardian years ago about boxty and its popularity in the bright sparkling jewel of the west (that would be leitrim to the non believers out there :)), towards the end of the article there was a little poem which went as follows "boxty on the griddle, boxty on the pan, it you dont eat boxty you're not a leitrim man (or woman). actually if i remember correctly the particular article may have been about the opening of gallaghers boxty house in templebar wonder does this jog any memories out there, think the article might have been 15-20 yrs ago.

Gallaghers was opened in 1988, I remember bringing a friend there Jan '89, she looked at the menu, said "No Way" and walked out. Thats Dubs for ya!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

my granny makes the best pan boxty in the county, i dont know the full ingredients but i will find out and put them up,

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chris Doherty

I was brought up on Boxty, and was given an easier method in making it. Instead of grating the spuds and your fingers, liquidise them. It makes for a cleaner looking dish, and gets rid of the gray look.

Advertisement