Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mothercare - accept deposits?

Options
  • 23-05-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, :p

I'm just wondering if you know if Mothercare take deposits? I mean on bigger (more expensive items) like prams/cots.

I wanna pick out a pram soon but am a bit superstitous so don't really wanna bring it home just yet. Ideally I'd like to pick one, put deposit down and then pay it off/bring it home a bit closer to my due date (I'm due in 11 weeks).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Congrats:)

I am pretty sure that they do,but they are very expensive in southern Ireland. kiddicare.com is very reasonable or check up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Thanks Moonbeam!:)

I will check out that site. Don't think I'll be going up north but I'll defo shop around down here and compare a few prices etc. Will try not to impulse-buy like I usually do.. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is so hard now to with baby stuff!
    It is all so cute and lovely:)

That's true, there really is some lovely stuff!!!:)

I've been onto the site you recommended and I found it very reasonable price-wise. They have a flat fee (delivery rate) to Republic of Ireland of £19.99, but it's worth it as a lot of the stuff is quite cheap in comparison to Mothercare etc. And they have a great selection too :D

I haven't been into Mothercare yet to ask them (about deposits) but I did find out that Eurobaby take deposits and hold prams for 11 weeks so that's another option. Although, I still think the prices are much more affordable on kiddicare.com so thanks for the heads-up on that ;) Am really liking that site.. :):) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Lidl have a promotion on baby stuff this week. Where were they when my babies were born?!

• Advertisement

Thanks kelle, might have to take a peek! It's somewhere I never would have thought of looking for baby stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I went to lidl this morning because I wanted to get the TV they had for sale. Picked up some of the baby stuff while I was there. I bought the baby monitors for 40 euro and two baby blankets and couldn't resist getting some of the socks either.

The tv, baby monitors, blankets and socks came to 300 euro. Such good value.

I was just having a look at Lidl online there:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090525.index

The baby blankets do look lovely! €4.49 - where would you get it?:p

And the mobile for cot is only 12.99!!! It looks really nice aswell :) Although, in the pic it's blue - I wonder if they have this in pink :confused: As I'm told I'm having a girl :):)

I'll have to take a trip there soon ;)

I was just having a look at Lidl online there:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090525.index

The baby blankets do look lovely! €4.49 - where would you get it?:p

And the mobile for cot is only 12.99!!! It looks really nice aswell :) Although, in the pic it's blue - I wonder if they have this in pink :confused: As I'm told I'm having a girl :):)

I'll have to take a trip there soon ;)

Hey Caroline, they definitely had pink mobiles too when I was there this morning :)

Great! Don't think you could beat that price for such a nice mobile :)

Thanks gowayouttadat x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

we have a baby due in the next 2 weeks, Bought the stuff in Motercare in Drogheda in March, Like yourself did not want to take the stuff home at the time, I was going to pay in full but the girl on the check out said no, only pay a deposit, we will hold it for you, we will still own it and its covered by our insurance, where if I had payed in full I would own it and its was not covered by there Insurance.

Thanks trackcar! That's what I was hoping to hear :D

I was also thinking of the advantages financially of doing it that way. If ya can pay a deposit and gradually pay the rest, instead of buying everything together (just before baby is due) and having to shell out a fortune all at once ;) Won't feel the pinch as much :)

Tk Maxx is worth a look too.
    lovely blankets,baby monitors too,slings and the rest depends on the week!

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know that I enquired with Mothercare (Belgard Road branch, Dublin 24) and Smyths (Tallaght, Dublin 24) and neither of them accept deposits :(

Ah well! Sure I couldn't make my mind up when I was pram-shopping anways so didn't really matter in the end!!! lol :rolleyes:

I was on another website, a pregnancy forum, and was admiring some of the prams on it (people upload pics of what they've bought for their baby etc.) . But any time I enquired, i.e. told them their pram is lovely & asked where they got it, the people always seemed to be from Australia, UK or USA so the pram and/or shop aren't available over here.. grr! :(

Does everyone find it this hard to make up their mind when picking a pram? Or is it just me?? :p (...or the hormones maybe?! HA! :))

Does everyone find it this hard to make up their mind when picking a pram? Or is it just me?? :p (...or the hormones maybe?! HA! :))

Totally, utterly and completely. I can't even bring myself to start pram shopping. If you ask me it's worse than trying to buy a car! I get so confused about the pros and cons of each one!! It's madness.
    I think I'm gonna send me mom out to look at them and then go look at the one she picks out. Since this is baby number 1 I've no idea what i'm looking for. She's had four at this stage, she knows more than me!

Totally, utterly and completely. I can't even bring myself to start pram shopping. If you ask me it's worse than trying to buy a car! I get so confused about the pros and cons of each one!! It's madness.

Couldn't agree more lol And good idea bringing mam with you for advice.. mother knows best so they say :) I don't even know what I'm looking for in a pram. Travel system I guess?!:confused: I look through catalogues and pick one that looks great & when I go see it, either the colour looks completely different or else the pram is VERY bulky and heavy! Some of them look just hazardous hehe..

I'll never pick one at this rate :rolleyes: Just aswell I started looking early on or poor baby would have no pram to come home to lol :p

It took me months oflooking in shops and research online and making lists and talking to other parents and pricing to make a choice!
    Prices for the same thing can vary widely too.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Prices for the same thing can vary widely too.

That's very true. And evident when looking at Mothercare v's Smyths website! Shocking, the difference in prices on some things.. :eek: Won't go into specifics but I will defo research prices when buying not only pram, but also when getting bottles, steriliser etc etc.. :)

Caroline you sound exactly like me. I don't know what I'm looking for either. Not a clue. Started off thinking travel system and then was told not to bother with them because they're over complicated etc
    Two weeks ago I brought my bf into Smyths with me so he could tell me what he won't be seen with haha then I planned on going off and picking one out myself. So hasn't happened!!
    Motivation is twindling too seeing as it's so confusing! Just want to click my fingers and have one placed in front of me.

Moonbeam, which one did you go with in the end?

I guess some of the travel systems are a bit complicated alright ;) Although, I must say - when I had my son (he's 4 now), I bought a Graco travel system and couldn't fault it. Found it very handy to use, car seat clicked in and out of pram easily.

Think I was just looking for a bit of a change with this baby so was shopping around, possibly looking for a Silver Cross or something?! But I will prob end up with another Graco travel system as I'm trying to convince myself to be practical lol :rolleyes: My son's one is still going strong believe it or not :p

They defo have positives :D I suppose it depends on your lifestyle. I don't generally do lots of outdoor walking but I would do quite a bit of travel in the car. So, back then I wanted something handy & lightweight but yet durable & value for money (was on a budget:o).
    In the end, I opted for the Graco and was pleasantly surprised. And it came with this thingy - looked a bit odd to me at first - it's a steel base that you belt into your car once and every time after, you literally just click the car seat in and out. VERY handy I must say :) ( It's so frustrating when you're in a hurry trying to get seatbelts done properly etc. so I loved this feature ;))

So, basically I've been shopping around looking at all types of prams but I keep going back to the travel systems. That said, I can only vouch for Graco as I haven't used any other manufactuers so others may not be as straight forward as this.

• Advertisement

I bought a maxi cosi mura 4 travel system,it so totally rcoks:)
    I also have a graco tour de luxe and it is a fine buggy,huge shopping basket,lovely big hood,can go flat for babies,cup holder for mammy and baby.and a little storage compartment in the handle.
    It does not fold small and is heavy and akward to lift in to car ,it is not so good on rough terrain.My one is a few years old and still perfect.
    I think bdget and how many kids you plan also has an affect,the graco cleo is lovely and extremely reasonable and light but it has 2 seperate handles and not 1 bar which did not suit me,my other favourite was the icandy cherry,but if you are tall and don't have a fortune to spend discount it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Congrats on good news! With regard to Mothercare on Belgard Rd - this doesn't sound right as all Mothercare stores in the south take deposits. They have a price promise guarantee so check out the competition first but it's a win/win situation. Belgard store is new so maybe they're still settling in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Niamh78

They also have an excellent after sales service and no issues if there is any problem with the product. There are some horrible stories on other forums about ordering on-line from UK. Costs associated with returning faulty goods etc.

Advertisement