Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiritualist church opening

Options
  • 22-05-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

It seems that a spiritualist church is opening in Dublin. A thread asked for comments and there was a flood of support. Is this some sort of sick joke? As if we hadn't enough eejits in the country what with politicians and priests, now we have hysterical superstition running amok. Is there a titter of sense anywhere about or are we sliding back to the dark ages. Crystal healing, angels, fairies, witches, psychics live, dear oh dear....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

If it is a properly motivated Spiritualist Church - and it certainly seems to be - then there is no superstition in Spiritualism.
    It claims that you along with everyone else, will not and cannot, die.

You might say 'so do all religions' and fair enough, but the Spiritualist Church offers evidence for their claim, evidence that is evaluated by the individual and not by some gathering of men in strange robes.

There is neither doctrine nor ritual, sacraments or chanting, smoke or mirrors, robes of hierarchy - there are no trappings of anykind.
    There is a strong atmosphere of love, generated to a great degree by our own loved ones who are called 'dead' by this world and who regularly contradict this. Folk who atternd a Spiritualist Service usually feel lighter, comforted and uplifted at the close.
    The sincere inquirer will get their evidence of this eternal truth, which leads them in turn to the position: 'if I do not die, then how best to live' which seems to approach the foothills of wisdom.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It seems that a spiritualist church is opening in Dublin. A thread asked for comments and there was a flood of support. Is this some sort of sick joke? As if we hadn't enough eejits in the country what with politicians and priests, now we have hysterical superstition running amok. Is there a titter of sense anywhere about or are we sliding back to the dark ages. Crystal healing, angels, fairies, witches, psychics live, dear oh dear....
    Please save your commentary till you know what you are talking about. Maybe actually go to the meeting without an agenda and then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Oryx wrote: »
    Please save your commentary till you know what you are talking about. Maybe actually go to the meeting without an agenda and then decide.

So this is skeptics corner? Man, it's tough to be a skeptic when you're up against a superstitious blatherfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Can't open anymore paranormal threads (skeptic or otherwise). It'll just drive me mad.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So this is skeptics corner? Man, it's tough to be a skeptic when you're up against a superstitious blatherfest.
    Oh Im sorry. I didnt realise the rules of this forum required that I agree with you. :)

And you are being sceptical about something you associate with fairies and Irish Psychics Live, which to me, is like associating Eurovision with, well, music. I mean it, actually research spiritualism and see what its about, then come back and be as sceptical as you like.
    Can't open anymore paranormal threads (skeptic or otherwise). It'll just drive me mad.
    Very wise. Some of em are booby trapped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

lol,at 1st i found your post insulting to anyone who holds a belief in spiritualism but actually it makes me laugh.if your pettyness of "spiritual bashing" is the real you talking then id hate to live next door to you and play music you disliked or paint my door the wrong colour in your point of view.
    You know,calling folk eejits and suggesting they have no sense is very rude and narrow minded of you,it shows what you "think" you know and what you "actually" know.
    Yes,this is a skeptics forum,you dont see anyone from the paranormal side coming on and posting that you are an eejit and the like because of your views.
    the spirutualist church is being set up as a meeting place,for people to come together and feel the positivity and unity of one another,and its their right to do so without being slagged off so boldly.
    i think everyone,even the hardest skeptics here wouldnt be so bold or rude to slag off others like that,even though there are major differences of opinions on the different topics of both sides,and sometimes it gets heated up and persona,theres still respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

It seems that a spiritualist church is opening in Dublin. A thread asked for comments and there was a flood of support.

What? Did you say flood? god dammit!!!! why didnt u warn me!I could have got hold of a few sandbags 2 prepare meself!!!
    Is this some sort of sick joke?

ah no,Id say its healthy enough like. Lots of colour in its cheeks last time I got a look at it
    As if we hadn't enough eejits in the country what with politicians and priests,

ah shure theres always plenty space for a few more eejits n this fine country

:p :rolleyes:

Advertisement