Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get back???

Options
  • 22-05-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Guys

New to the Boards but have been looking at it over the last few days and I an going to try and keep a log of my training to see if I can get myself back running.

I have completed 2 marathons over the last 5 years best time 3:52, fastest 10k 39:58. Have been training hit and miss over the last few years.Was doing a course at weekends for the last 3 years so have not being doing much training. My first marathon 5 years ago in Dublin I got my weight down to 11.5 stone followed Hal higdon programme. Now I weigh in at a whopping 15 stone ( I know terrible ).

I have 1 weeks training put in so far and I can run 6 miles in about 56 mins so far.

Would like to do Dublin in 3.30 this year but I just wanted to get some feedback as to whether this is realistic or not???

Going to keep a log of all my training from today on here, hoping to to a 5 miler tonight. Any help / feedback / recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hi Guys

New to the Boards but have been looking at it over the last few days and I an going to try and keep a log of my training to see if I can get myself back running.

I have completed 2 marathons over the last 5 years best time 3:52, fastest 10k 39:58. Have been training hit and miss over the last few years.Was doing a course at weekends for the last 3 years so have not being doing much training. My first marathon 5 years ago in Dublin I got my weight down to 11.5 stone followed Hal higdon programme. Now I weigh in at a whopping 15 stone ( I know terrible ).

I have 1 weeks training put in so far and I can run 6 miles in about 56 mins so far.

Would like to do Dublin in 3.30 this year but I just wanted to get some feedback as to whether this is realistic or not???

Going to keep a log of all my training from today on here, hoping to to a 5 miler tonight. Any help / feedback / recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
    Well you have taken the first step in getting out and running, your in a lot better state then I was a year ago if you can get around 6 miles. Main thing i would suggest would be set yourself some target races maybe the Adidas series or something along the same lines, Get out run and enjoy yoru running.
    Completing the marathon would be possible for sure, It will be hard but marathons are never easy.. so i've heard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 olympichopeful

Hi Shels4ever

Thanks for that, I'll need to get my head down and try and set out something to aim for. I think there is a local 10K coming up on the 19th June so I think that will be first.

Training over the weekend,

Friday: 5.5 mile run 48mins
    Saturday: 6 mile run with 10 x hill repeats 58 mins ( very tough seission for me!!!!!!! )
    Sunday: 6 mile run ( ran with no watch )
    Did a second run sunday evening of 3 miles to get the miles in to the legs.

Hope to do an easy 3 miler tonight, legs are a little sore today.

All

Update for last weeks training,

Monday 25th Did 3 mile easy as planned
    Tuesday 5.5 miles @ 9 min mile pace
    Wednesday 6 miles @ 9 min mile pace
    Thursday Hill repeats x 10 50 min session ( murder !!!!!!)
    Friday Rest day ( well walked around photo wildlife park for 2 hrs)
    Saturday 8.5 miles easy pace
    Sunday 5 miles in the morning @ 9 min mile pace, 3 miles in the evening easy pace
    Monday 1/6/09 Plan to go to the gym later for x train and weights and 3 mile easy run later this evening.

Starting to get a little bit of fitness back and some of the runs are getting easier, the weight is dropping a little too which is always a bonus.

Just wondering if there is anyone out there from the Limerick area who will be running the Dublin city marathon this year??? I am playing with the idea of doing it but it would be great if there was someone to partner with for the long runs when they come around.

Hi

did not post for a while but have been training away all the time, signed up for DCM, half in dublin on the 26th Sept and cork to cobh also.

I'm 5 weeks in to my marathon training schedule now longest run is 14 m so far.

Going to post my last weeks training and go from here if thats ok.

27th July to 2nd Aug
    Mon off
    Tues 4 mile run 30mins
    Wed 7 mile 1hr
    Thurs 5 mile hard with 5 x hills at the end total 1hr 12mins
    Fri 4 mile easy
    Sat 7 mile 1hr 02mins
    Sun 14 mile 2hr 05 mins

Total 41

Hi

This weeks training, step back week so long run 10 mile

Mon 4 mile easy
    Tues 7 mile 3 mile am with stretch 27min, 4 miles pm 32mins
    Wed 7 mile 1hr
    Thurs 10 miles 5 miles am , 5 miles pm
    Fri 3 miles
    Sat 7 miles 59mins

Hope to do 10 miles for my lsr tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement