Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indesign or Dreamweaver Tutorials

Options
  • 22-05-2009 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi guys,

does anyone know where to find really good Indesign or Dreamweaver tutorials?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I done an indesign course in New Horizons. Found it good. They are based just off Capel Street in Dublin city centre..

www.newhorizonsireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

bigwavemediatraining.ie

really good indesign courses there. They also do pretty much all the adobe packages for print /design / film etc.

I did a basic InDesign course there some time ago, found them really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Those courses are overpriced, in my opinion.

If anyone wants InDesign tutoring one-on-one I'm available - just give me a shout.

I'm curious to why InDesign OR Dreamweaver.

InDesign is page layout programme primarily for printing.

Dreamweaver is primarily a web page layout, primarily for web.

You won't be able to design for print with dreamweaver, and you won't be able to design for web with indesign.

Those courses are overpriced, in my opinion.

If anyone wants InDesign tutoring one-on-one I'm available - just give me a shout.

I'm curious to why InDesign OR Dreamweaver.

InDesign is page layout programme primarily for printing.

Dreamweaver is primarily a web page layout, primarily for web.

You won't be able to design for print with dreamweaver, and you won't be able to design for web with indesign.

I was thinking that myself, but just assumed he wanted to learn both - for web AND print.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

I know a lot about each of the adobe products, dreamweaver is fine for me, but I thought while I was posting this I may as well ask about it. With indesign, I haven't even opened it yet, so just want to start getting used to it as I will be using it when i return to college after the summer.

thanks for your suggestions

• Advertisement

If its tutorials you want, and not a course, there are plenty on the 'net. A quick google should give you plenty of results, to pretty much learn how to do anything in InDesign.

Well if you find those courses too pricey then let me know. You may benefit from one on one tutoring.

Those courses are 2 days and show you the bare minimum. Usually there is always someone that can’t grasp the concept and the tutor ends up spending more time with them than the class.

I'm not having a go. But a 2 day course and half of both of those days spent with one student.

It happens.

Heck if you want to learn indesign, you don't even need these courses

Check out these blogs

www.indesignsecrets.com

www.theindesigner.com

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/

They should have all the info you need.

The help files for InDesign are live and updated regularly.

And there's loads of forums out there with indesign experts that help people out for free.

www.layersmagazine.com (check out their tutorials too)

This crowd deliver InDesign seminars for free over a couple of weeks all on line. (but you have to pay if you missed the free session) http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/ (you may have just missed the both on that?)

If you want to learn indesign you are not going to learn it in 2 days.

Check out these books

Real World InDesign Cs3 and Cs4 (depending on your version)

Visual Quick Start Guide, by Sandee Cohen

From theindesigner.com http://www.theindesigner.com/blog/the-book-is-done
    Teaching you how to be effective with styles

Also check out http://www.google.ie/search?q=indesign+printing+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And check out the free Adobe book in pdf format
    http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/cs3/articles/cs3_printguide.html

Which teaches you everything you need to know about making PDF and making your file print ready.

If you want to play around with InDesign and get used to it, I suggest collecting flyers, brochures etc. from hotels, doctor offices, even go into a printing company and their reception should have a book case of print jobs, just enquire about them and if you can take some away, and then try recreating them. Get business cards, letterheads, whatever you can get your hands on and start recreating them.

All of which I've posted is either free or very cheap. It's a permanent fix to learning indesign. It's probably about 75% cheaper than booking into those 2 day courses.

In saying that IACT run a Masters in DTP course, I've heard good things about it. As inDesign is not just about using indesign. it's about using Illustrator and photoshop too and how to prepare images and graphics for print in a layout. I'm not sure of the duration of the course but it would be better than bigwavemedia or newhorizons, imo.

If you need any further help or a problem you can contact me through my blog www.doozler.blogspot.com and my address is there, I won't charge for small things but if you need me for half a day or a day or whatever I'll gladly come to you and work out something.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

Thanks Hank, you have given me a lot of links to work with there, they should keep me going for a while. thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Does anyone have any links to good and easy to understand tutorials for dreamweaver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

veryrandom wrote: »
    Does anyone have any links to good and easy to understand tutorials for dreamweaver?
    www.lynda.com is a great resource to have for a start. Very easy to follow and v. professionally done.

Plus I would say advise wise... that you should possibly put your self out there for work experience. Work experience is invaluable for building your confidence and it will more than help with your college degree at the end of the day.

You would be surprised how good you are and how much your skills will benefit the company that you may end up working for, during summer time.

Work experience is a low pressure start into the industry and it is an invaluable confidence building excercise as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ifnotwhynot

can anyone tell me how to curve edges in photoshop? I have two images which are very square and i would like an all round curved effect for them... how do i do this please?

can anyone tell me how to curve edges in photoshop? I have two images which are very square and i would like an all round curved effect for them... how do i do this please?

What do you mean? Are they like to drawn images, or pictures that you've imported?

You could draw the curved edges with the pen tool, or even easier press 'u' and select the 'curved rectangle' tool from the custom shape tools menu.

Create a new layer - above the image you want with the curved edges. Then draw your new curved rectangle (ensure 'shape layer' is selected in the upper left of the window).

You should then see a shape layer, and a mask in the layers panel.

Drag the mask to your image layer, and hey presto, you have a curved image :)

Advertisement