Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate with outstanding bills leaving

Options
  • 22-05-2009 1:31am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our housemate is moving out at the end of the month (only gave notice yesterday) and owes about 300 in bills. She's promised she'll pay them, but we don't trust her and feel that once she walks out the door that'll be the last we see of her.

We've mentioned it to the landlord (to whom she also owes money) as the bills are in landlord's name, but she's promised her that she'll pay all outstanding debts and the landlord is taking her word!

Is there anything we can do to ensure she pays before she leaves?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

convert wrote: »
    Is there anything we can do to ensure she pays before she leaves?

Go and get accurate meter readings, and ensure the billshares are properly apportioned before she leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

Do you mean the bills have already been issued and she still owes money or is this the estimate for what she'll owe when the next bill comes?

If its the latter, follow smccarrick's advice.

If its the former then ring your landlord and explain your concerns. I presume you all paid a deposit? I sincerely doubt that he will hand her deposit back if she owes that much for bills. At the end of the day the bills are in his name so if she doesn't pay, the issue lies with him and not you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Unfortunately it's the former! :(

We've talked to our housemate who's promised she'll pay the bills. Had a chat with the landlord about it and they reassured us that said housemate will pay both the bills and outstanding rent and is willing to take her at the word. I'm not so sure, but I've expressed our concerns and as the bills are in the landlord's name, I'm not really going to worry too much... (hopefully!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

do tennants not pay deposits any more?
    swipe her car keys!:D

Advertisement