Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists 'not fully human' - Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor

Options
  • 21-05-2009 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

In light of the week that Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor's church has had, this statement on BBC Radio is outrageous:

The suggestion is that atheists, and secularists generally, are less than fully human.

( One wonders who he regarded as less human in this case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/840594.stm

- the altar boys who were assaulted or the subordinate he allowed to return to his predatory activities? )

Are we, in our godlessness, lacking a crucial element of humanity? Are we incapable of experiencing the transcendent? :rolleyes:

To think this man's candidature for the House of Lords was discussed at cabinet level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Given the report issued this week, he could look closer to home for people who would better fit that description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wasn't he the Primate of England and Wales?
    280px-Olive_baboon.jpg

/artistic license

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ever heard the phrase "when you're in a hole, stop digging"? The Cardinal hasn't, so he's at it again:
    What is most crucial is the prayer that we express every day in the Our Father, when we say ‘deliver us from evil’. The evil we ask to be delivered from is not essentially the evil of sin, though that is clear, but in the mind of Jesus it is more importantly a loss of faith. For Jesus, the inability to believe in God and to live by faith is the greatest of evils.

You see the things that result from this are an affront to human dignity, destruction of trust between peoples, the rule of egoism and the loss of peace. One can never have true justice, true peace, if God becomes meaningless to people.

The cheek! :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Haha, that's hilarious.

Y'know that feeling when a new movie you really want to see is coming out? And you're so eager, but you just have to wait? I feel like that about the day when people laugh at ignorant old fools like this jerk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Don't believe in your god Murphy-O'Connor - however I feel....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

He's showing an incredible amount of ignorance.

Particularly in his statement about Secularists. I consider myself a Secularist: I'm for the separation of church and state BUT I'm also a very religious Wiccan. I just believe religion/spirituality is something private and should be under one's own control.

Also, a very fine example of an atheistic religion is Buddhism. And to be honest, Buddhism is one of the most humane religions out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

He's not fully retarded, but damn is he close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Moron, does he even know what a secularist is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

That guy deserves a clatter aginn the ceann with a hefty shtick.

So what body part am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

he obviously thinks we are too serious and need to get in touch with our outer child

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Ho ho, you couldn't make this clown up...final proof, if any further proof were needed, that the catholic church is an entirely morally bankrupt organisation led by intellectual pygmies who have managed to raise the art of hypocrisy to dizzying and heretofore unimagined heights.....utterly astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Well, we atheists maybe are not fully human, he could be right.

I mean, isn't it a human trait to attribute the unknown to powers?

Isn't it a human trait to band together and invent nonsense stories?

Isn't it human to exploit this power, push ignorance as an agenda in the pursuit of power all the while blaming/serving a God, engaging in nonsense ritual and worshipping the imaginary?

I mean, my logical open mind and objective self criticism of my ideas and why I think they are correct doesn't seem a natural human trait. Its more a trait of education and intelligence. Its equally correct to say the Cardinal is not fully educated and intelligent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

this guy has some neck

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Now come on people, who are we to argue with him.

He's a high ranking member of an organisation with a very long and distinguished track record on perpetrating inhumane acts.

It logically follows that he and his fellows, as noted practitioners of inhumanity, should be highly expert at recognising it when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Sounds like the last gasps of a dying institution...

Ridiculous really, how out of touch they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I mean, my logical open mind and objective self criticism of my ideas and why I think they are correct doesn't seem a natural human trait. Its more a trait of education and intelligence. Its equally correct to say the Cardinal is not fully educated and intelligent :D
    I for one welcome my new "Not fully human" status.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can see what he's trying to say - that being 'one with God' is what makes us 'whole' (or some such), but it really is a terrible choice of words. Completely naive.

In a way it boils down to religion trying to put humans on a different plane altogether to animals by adding a soul etc. Whereas we simply think of humans as a type of intelligent (debatable!) primate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Haha.oh the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Religiousy posters often accuse us of being disrespectful and mocking their beliefs, but in all honesty nonsense like this this deserves zero respect and certainly deserves to be mocked. If the church becomes any more out of touch they'll fall off the planet altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

what a twat...I'm an atheist and I'm wholly human (although occasionally I get a hair on my back that looks like it came from a rat!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

aidan24326 wrote: »
    If the church becomes any more out of touch they'll fall off the planet altogether.
    Well, here's one way that the Serbian Orthodox Church has been staying in touch <cough> with drug addicts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8063855.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm assuming that this degenerate Buffoons other w@nky costume was in the wash?

pimp-costume-big-daddy-purple.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mewmoo

-- also snipped --

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I course I'm not fully human. Misssing the tip off of a finger, guess which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

-- snipped --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

-- snipped --

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yea srsly i had begun to wonder if i wasnt being too harsh but then you really took the biscuit. :confused:
    towel401 wrote: »
    -- snipped --

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I really want to see what it was now :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement