Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

oh noessssssss

• 21-05-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

i just got my braces today
    i figured this was the best forum to come to:P
    someone please say it gets better!
    anyone got any stories etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Jeez I gpt mine off a couple of years ago. Found gettin them off worse then on unfortunatly. The worst thing about them is gettin food stuck in them. Apart from that they didn't bother me tho.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Starting off is the worse, especially eating and talking. I remember for the first few days all I could do was scoop soup into my mouth and eat rice or mash without really chewing it much and just kinda swallowing it whole. Also avoiding chatting to anyone you find attractive until you can speak properly or you'll make a tit of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I just got mine of on tuesday. It's fine, you get used to it and eventually you don't realise they are there. And belive me, it's worth it too. :D

It twinges a bit when you get them tightened but depending on the ortho, you'l be fine by that evening. Nobody really notices braces anymore. You do on other people obviously when you have them in but nobody else does.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i regret not getting them in my youth,now i look about fourteen,at also stole away all of my piercings,they better look damn good in two years,sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

they better look damn good in two years,sigh

I got mine out in a year and a half. It depends on how quick your teeth move. Yes it's worth it.!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

For me the worst thing about getting braces was having to get 4 teeth taken out before I could wear them. The actual braces themselves caused me no problems at all.
    For the first few days your teeth will be a bit sore but that will only be for a small while. After two weeks or so, you'll hardly even notice that you're wearing them. Seriously, you'll adapt to having them very quickly. :)
    You have to go get them tightened every so often and that can hurt a small bit but it's a lot less painful than you can imagine.
    I was very worried about getting them taken off but it proved to be very quick and painless. It was definitely worth having them, my teeth looked much better afterwards.

sup_dude wrote: »
    I got mine out in a year and a half. It depends on how quick your teeth move. Yes it's worth it.!!!!!!

they want to break my jaw but im not having it,i do however have to get a gum transplant before they will give me my bottom braces,dont get oral piercings children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

they want to break my jaw but im not having it,i do however have to get a gum transplant before they will give me my bottom braces,dont get oral piercings children

I was supposed to have my jaw broken aswell but thankfully the orthodontist decided it wasn't necessary. I only found out this after the braces were in - apparently, my Mam knew they were planning to break my jaw and decided not to tell me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

you know, ive a feeling the judge would let you off early under those circumstances....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i didn't find getting them on that bad. it was just the couple of days after tightening that it would be a bit sore eating, but only my front bottom teeth so it could be avoided.

Avoid eating toblerone bars, the amount of times i broke brackets eating them!

Tbh the worst i found was getting them off, especially when they removed the cement stuff that held the braces on, and i had a load of it on my molars so separate my top brackets from the bottom ones. Even that wasn't that bad though, more just uncomfortable.
    I'd do it again in a second, well worth it. I was originally told 3 years, then 2 and then they took them off after a year and a half so don't worry about how long! From what I've heard, it's usually shorter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

i was told by my normal dentist that i'd have to get my jaw broke for me but we talked him out of that! i had them on for three years and every time i had them tightened.. i was in agony for two days. yoghurt, mash, soup, custard! its just a balls! but after a while you'll be sound! when you get them off.. its quite an experience!
    GET A PERMANENT RETAINER! You'll never wear the temporary one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I was supposed to have my jaw broken aswell but thankfully the orthodontist decided it wasn't necessary. I only found out this after the braces were in - apparently, my Mam knew they were planning to break my jaw and decided not to tell me!

I had to get a big gap in the front of my mouth so I had to turn a screw everynite that would pull my teeth away from eachother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I found braces grand, it was the year of retainers before hand killed me. Traintracks were a relief!
    They're grand really, and I had bad teeth. The odd headache and a bit of tenderness after tightening, but otherwise no trouble.
    Avoid fruit gums! Broke 7 brackets from them before I gave up. Slow learner, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

I had to get a big gap in the front of my mouth so I had to turn a screw everynite that would pull my teeth away from eachother

Me too! A bar that went accross my back teeth, and I had this little mini spanner thing to widen it every night, that was pretty unpleasant I ahve to say, I remember I had to find a whole new way of swallowing! Overall braces were grand though, I actually didn't notice them at the end, and when i got them off, I wouldn't say i missed them as such but it was wierd not having them in my mouth! Worst part of the whole thing for me was when I got my retainer, basically it was made wrong and cut into my gums, and left sores all along my gums. I thought this was normal so left it a week thinking itd clear up, it was incredibly painful, I couldn't eat, couldn't talk...

i just want them off already the not being able to eat thing is getting old fast,and i still have to have a gum transplant and bottom ones to go:(

the ability to eat comfortably comes back *sympathetic pat on back*

:(not soon enough!

how long have you had them on now?

like a week,im very impatient though

It'll settle down pretty soon.
    You get used to them fairly fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Leman-Russ

How long are you meant to have them in for? I've had mine for 3 years now it will get better once you stop thinking about them.

I don't get why some of you were so scared of the osteotomy(sp) its been well worth it no more overbite i can smile and not look wierd.

Advertisement