Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about cat

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Last week my cat had 2 infected teeth taken out, she's been indoors since.

When I took her to the vet's they told me that her kidneys were being affected by the infection in the mouth and that she wasn't able to groom herself properly.

I paid a total of 270 euro to have her treated... That included surgery to remove the teeth, grooming, antibiotics and blood pressure meds.

Today I noticed her jaw was swollen and when I look closer she seems to have a nasty lesion on the outside of her cheek (around the whiskers).. it's bleeding and very inflamed.

When I called the vet tonight that carried out her treatment, I was told that I'd still be required to pay a 50 euro call-out + for whatever treatment was necessary.

Is this common procedure..? I mean after paying for treatment and all, you'd think it would cover any required aftercare

I'm anxious about my cat, and intend to have her treated asap, regardless of this issue.. I just wanted see what others thought was appropriate here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

In my opinion, you should take her in to the vet, not have them call out to you, because a call out fee is always exorbitant compared to going in yourself. (Same as your GP.)

They should charge a consult fee because this is a new ailment (if you return to have stitches removed after an operation, for instance, there shouldn't be a consultation fee), but if they're reasonable they'll charge a follow-up consult fee that should be around half that of an initial consult.

I would expect you to have to pay for antibiotics and anything to treat the wound.

Poor pussycat - I hope she gets better soon!

Advertisement