Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You and just your electric guitar blues gig

Options
  • 21-05-2009 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm wondering would people be interested or would it be a waste of time? no backing tracks just a singer with his electric guitar playing some blues? Is a band always gonna be needed? I say this because I'm struggling to get a band going again and really need to gig!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Might be hard to hold people's attention over a normal gig time playing blues alone. IMO this particular genre thrives on a steady groove and band dynamics. I know that a lot of the early blues guitarists did perform alone, but in today's Dublin/Ireland, I doubt if it would go down well over a prolonged period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Incarnadine

Was thinking that could be a problem, very difficult to create a vibe yourself and keep it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always a danger that you'd be an amplified version of "Mick in the Bar 10 pm Fridays".

'hey Mick do the Hurricane!' etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

This guy seems to manage it, and he only has three strings! He does tap his foot, though :pac:

I think it would help if you could swap between standard and slide, for a bit of variety. Or even just play slide, as it's far less common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

one man and his guitar is probably the purest form of the blues and to be encouraged! It's not easy though, holding the crowd's attention for the evening not only musically but with banter too.

Get out there man and learn how to do it. It will always stand to you even if you do form a band eventually.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help lads! And seasick steve is quite the showman which helps!

Ok so if I was gonna to try play a gig alone where would be the best place to try get a shot? I have plenty of gigging experience, just usually with a band, ha!

Advertisement