Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind farm causes the demise of large number of goats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

not sure i fully believe the wind far could have caused the deaths tbh, they're pretty tough little things and are used to incredibly harsh alpine conditions.

we have to get power somewhere and wind is one of the best sources, a coal fuled power plant probably wouldn't have gone down too well with the goats either, or a nuclear reactor ;)

although off shore wind farms are the best option all round really, did you know aritricity's long range plan is to build several massive wind farms of the shores of europe and create a europe wide energgy grid of renewable energy?

more info here; https://www.airtricity.com/ireland/wind_farms/supergrid/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its actually a very common misconception that goats are incredibly hardy creatures- it really varies from breed to breed- mountain goats- akin to mountain sheep, are indeed very hardy- however dairy goats are in fact a lot more sensitive to the cold and other environmental conditions than one might imagine. I used have a flock of Saanan goats. Friendlier, happier creatures I have to encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

*LOL* @ thread title.

Not good for the goats though. I like their cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i stand corrected.... still not sure i believe the noise did it... electro magnetic disturbance from the power lines more plausable surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor goats, a drastic change in environment even noise or something new and strange in the area can affect an animals health not all wind farms are located near livestock though so hopefully this won't put people off in general.

Our local windfarm isn't up and running yet no idea how much noise it will produce there's cattle nearby.

Very windy around here so excellent for a wind farm, locals aren't as pleased, but flippin great for drying clothes and blowing the dog hairs off their blankets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Our local windfarm isn't up and running yet no idea how much noise it will produce there's cattle nearby.

There's small one in Clare if you're heading up that way , might give you an idea what to expect look on ebay for an RPG
    It'd be interesting to see if there is any change in animal behavior in your area when it gets going.

http://visitwalesnow.org.uk/turbinenoise.wma

(link from http://visitwalesnow.org.uk/ )

Advertisement