Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke Road Improvements canned

Options
  • 21-05-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

I know we dont trust the Advertiser on here, but its somewhere in this issue. Apparently the dualling and bus lane additions to the perenially congested Seamus Quirke road have been canned due to cutbacks.

Not surprising, but if there ever was a road that needed sorting out...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey the Advertiser is my favourite red-top read!
    Does this mean no change at all in the road as it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

It's a pity the powers-that-be couldn't have funneled the money from the Huntsman roundabout "improvments" into that road. I think the Seamus Quirke road must only be clear at night and early in the morning. Any other time of day it seems to be backed up both coming off the bridge and at the other end near Rahoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I know we dont trust the Advertiser on here, but its somewhere in this issue. Apparently the dualling and bus lane additions to the perenially congested Seamus Quirke road have been canned due to cutbacks.

Not surprising, but if there ever was a road that needed sorting out...

ah FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This is nuts. Couple this with the bypass being at best delayed and the town will only get worse.

I spend about half my time in Dublin and without a doubt it's much easier to get around than Galway. Galway traffic, and those "in charge" are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I actually believed it was going to happen when we were told the funding was secured/in place for work to take place this year. Seems I was rather foolish for getting my hopes up.

If Galway can't even get funding for this then we will never get funding for the bypass.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

churchview wrote: »
    This is nuts. Couple this with the bypass being at best delayed and the town will only get worse.

I spend about half my time in Dublin and without a doubt it's much easier to get around than Galway. Galway traffic, and those "in charge" are a joke.

me too, but see how much money is pumped into the Dublin roads. no surprise that it was the 'Wesht' that took the first and worst of the hits in the infrastructure cutbacks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

KevR wrote: »
    If Galway can't even get funding for this then we will never get funding for the bypass.:(

This IS the bypass ....if it ever happens. The current dual carriageway at the newcastle end is 25 years old which is how long we have waited for them to carry on up Seamus Quirke Road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

me too, but see how much money is pumped into the Dublin roads. no surprise that it was the 'Wesht' that took the first and worst of the hits in the infrastructure cutbacks...

Well, to be fair, Dublin does put a lot more into the pot than it gets back. Galway, Cork and Limerick do too. It's the rural areas which are taking more resources than they deserve.

"I want to live in the countryside where it's nice and peaceful and I'm away from the hustle and bustle of everything. But wait, there's no school on my doorstep for my children to go to. I'll rally some other people from around the area to lobby the government to build a school here."
    [Government caves in and builds the school which ends up having 9 or 10 kids in every class. Meanwhile there isn't enough money to reduce class sizes in schools which are at breaking point in the cities and big towns.]

"Also, how come someone living in the middle of Dublin City can get a bus from right outside there door but there is no bus service outside my door in the middle of nowhere?
    [Lobbying....rural bus service with low numbers which has to be subsidised by the taxpayer.....services in Dublin, Galway and other cities are being cut because funding has gone elsewhere.]"

They're the type of people we should be angry at and also the government. Dublin City isn't to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

so blame the countryside! There havent been any small schools built in years. The schools with a few kids in each class have been there for years and are used by locals for the main part who try and make a living in the area, not drive to the city for work, cause traffic, bring their kids to the city school. Then drive "home" to go to bed and provide nothing to the local community.

There is NO real bus service outside the cities. in my local village the only way to get to galway reliably is with a local bus driver who doesnt get Government money. The bus eireann "service" is a joke. It goes through twice a week in the middle of the day so it is too late if you actually have to go to Galway for a hospitial appiontment or similar.

Dublin city isnt to blame you are right there but neither are people from the country just because a galway road isnt being built.
    And dont worry if they actualy try and improve any road in Galway the usual crowd will come out to object to hurting the poor grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

And dont worry if they actualy try and improve any road in Galway the usual crowd will come out to object to hurting the poor grass

:D Funny cos it's so true!

• Advertisement
Advertisement