Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job security

Options
  • 21-05-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

just wondering about other people jobs for the upcoming year. the principal in my school has yet to tell any of the staff who has lost their jobs etc. and theres is only week left of school. just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or is this unusual. the staff in my school are primarily young under 30 not perm so anybody can go its so frustrating........:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

I'd say that it's getting late for letting people know if they're to be let go. Seems unfair if you're to go, and don't get any advance warning to facilitate scouting out other prospects.

We generally know around beginning of May. It's the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Our school will not be informed before the end of term. I'm ok as I am permanent but we are waiting on 3 people to be approved for CIDs and they will not know until June at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Are teachers entitled to know their hours? Is that actually written anywhere? Cos it seems really unfair in our school that so many are worried about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭roxychix

i know that the allocation of hours etc not out till may but my principal keeps saying hed tell us every week but just never seems to get round to it. to be fair to him he will try and keep on as many poeple as he can but hes not the one really pullin the strings its the department

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Three teachers in my school lost their jobs today. We were originally told our cut was to be 7.5 whole time equivalents, you can imagine the shock in the staffroom the day we heard that (35 staff), it was appealed, some of the maths were incorrect and we got the result of the appeal on monday, 4.2 staff to be lost. So there were tough decisions made over the last few days I'm sure. So 3 were told they didn't have jobs in September and the remaining part time staff were told they would all have a cut in hours when they come back, but they are just grateful to have something to come back to. 3 is a lot but it doesn't seem so bad as the original cut we were handed.

Our staffroom is quite a depressing place at the moment.

@roxychix: can the union rep go and ask the principal what the situation is on behalf of the staff?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Next Tuesday is the day we (VEC school) will find out if we are having transfers in and if we are, in what subject areas they will be. If we are, more than the expected number of people will be without hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

spurious wrote: »
    Next Tuesday is the day we (VEC school) will find out if we are having transfers in and if we are, in what subject areas they will be. If we are, more than the expected number of people will be without hours.

Is that down to redeployment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

roxychix wrote: »
    just wondering about other people jobs for the upcoming year. the principal in my school has yet to tell any of the staff who has lost their jobs etc. and theres is only week left of school. just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or is this unusual. the staff in my school are primarily young under 30 not perm so anybody can go its so frustrating........:confused:

Exact same situation in my school. I asked the principal today and he said he hasn't heard from the department and when he does he'll let me know. There's about 6 of us who it involves. My last day in school is Tuesday, so if I were one of the ones to go, I wouldn't be getting much notice. At this stage, I'd just rather know either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that down to redeployment?
    Yes, our school has rising numbers and many of our sister schools in the VEC have falling numbers. Permanent people may transfer in from other schools, displacing people who've been with us quite some time.

The figures are very late this year for allocations etc. and I expect quite a number of teachers throughout our VEC to retire due to the various pay cuts/levies etc. Not a lot of point working when you'd be as well off retired. We won't necessarily know the extent of retirements until the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭roxychix

just a recap on this thread. found out last week i have a job for next year but reduced hours from 22 to 19, so im not complaining. our principal was brillant he got to keep everyone on but has reduced everybodies hours and two older members of staff retired to so that was a big help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement