Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare query

Options
  • 21-05-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi, I have been put on a three day week and have applied for social welfare for the other days. I have a meeting with the sw officer next week and i have paprtwork to fill in before hand. One of the things required is proof of address.

Now, i have my own house but it is rented out. The rent doesnt even cover the mortgage, though there is only a shortfall of €50 a month or so.

I live with my partner in his property and i dont pay rent to him. If i tell the sw officer that i live with him will his income be taken into account when assessing my income? I dont want it to be as i dont think that is fair to him - he doesnt support me, we split all bills etc 50/50

My other option is to put my own home as my address but i dont want to be dishonest with them if i can avoid it.

Can anyone advise me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As far as i know his income will be taken into consideration. My friend was let go last year and i said he could move in with me, he doesnt pay me rent just does bits n pieces round the house for me. He went to the welfare officer today to be assessed and they told him because he'd being living with me for some time and we were around the same age they were treating us as a co-habitating couple (which we're not) so the options they gave him were move out and get a new address (he cant cause they stopped his dole) or get details of my mortgage and payslips to be jointly assessed which is ridiculous esp when we're not even in a relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Phoenix_Rising

Shzm wrote: »

Sorry - i didnt realise.

Admins - can you move this thread or should i start a new one in the other forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,700 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I live with my partner in his property and i dont pay rent to him. If i tell the sw officer that i live with him will his income be taken into account when assessing my income? I dont want it to be as i dont think that is fair to him - he doesnt support me, we split all bills etc 50/50

You very clearly don't split all bills 50/50: you are not paying rent, so you are not contributing to your partner's mortgage or maintenance costs for the property.

You have chosen to co-habitate. There are various threads about how unfair is that co-habitating couples are accessed jointly, when they are no eligible for the tax etc benefits of being a couple. Fair or not, the bottom line is that this is the law: if you are co-habitating, your partner is expected to be supporting you. If your partner is not willing to support you, then you should ask yourself some hard questions about the relationship.

Not a good idea to lie about your address: lies multiply, and eventually you will get caught out one way or another. It's also illegal to defraud Welfare.

Advertisement