Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clare hills access

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

i wouldnt mind going up the clare hills for a look, it'd be a nice trot for the dog. is there any hill walkers access to them? where would i go to find such? wouldnt mind getting up towards the golf ball thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

You can get to them by either driving past the entrance to moyross and keep going straight up the hill or by driving past the entrance to Cratloe Hills. There is paved road most of the way around there. I have cycled up there more than once with no hassle. There is a nice walk there too that will give u a lovely view of the whole city. Bring a pair of binoculaurs. Moneen would probably be a good place to start for hillwalkers access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Drive or get the bus out to Cratloe and park up at the main gate to the forest. From there it's about 4km to the golf ball or you can go for a walk in the forest. If you're feeling especially adventurous you can get from the car park to the top without having to resort to paved roads.

From the top you can see Limerick City, from the crossroads on the way up theres a viewing spot where you can see the estuary and out all the way to Shannon Airport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Starts right next to the Golf Ball :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

good video an file

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

An File wrote: »

Wooooo thats me driving :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stop Stop. Your no longer anonymous.

*remembers faces for possibility of ending up on Crimecall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Tefral

My parents live up there, great place to go for a walk.

My advice would be to drive out by LIT along the old cratloe road, drive past the country club, keep going over the humped back bridge, staight on to whites cross, at the cross take the SECOND right (2 together) drive up the hill till you come to a fork in the road.

At the fork go LEFT and park up there in the carpark on the right. you can either walk up woodcock hill or go straight across the road into the back entrance to cratloe, Lovely walk and the views are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Want to bring my mountain bike up to cratloe woods sometime, some class treks!

Want to bring my mountain bike up to cratloe woods sometime, some class treks!

It's an excellent spot altogether,been cycling up there for near on 10 years.
    Get in touch with the UL mtb club on the forum here http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mtbclub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Big mention for Ballyhoura near Ardpatrick - great trails for the mountain bike!
    Great day out!

http://www.ballyhouramtb.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭RINO87

any good Downhill runs in this neck of the woods? Plus can you rent downhill bikes in UL. Fcukin sold mine two years ago, worst move i ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Was up there today, did a route of 25km on my bike, went up from Meelick and back down the cratloe woods way. Great cycle, found it tough(only cycling 2 - 3 weeks)

Some adrenaline rush going full speed coming back down in to cratloe.

Also , I am not sure how to put this but is the Golf ball a famous area for couples?

I say this as we past 3 cars all in the act. Seems strange when there loads of hill walkers and families up there on a day like this.

Anyways the views are stunning up there I have to say.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/457/dscn0092.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Limerick Dude posted a fantastic picture here about 3 years ago, taken from Cratloe but showing the view of Limerick.

Limerick Dude posted a fantastic picture here about 3 years ago, taken from Cratloe but showing the view of Limerick.

Think this was it.....

limerickfromcratloe0030rh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thanks for all the replies. might print that photo and try get another one from same spot to see whats changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Good taste in music at least. :D

Bloc Party and Black Sabbath wasnt it An-File?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

used to go up there years ago in the summertime. there used to be lots of people up there.....er...shall we say courting! I sure it's a popular spot still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Firefox10 wrote: »
    used to go up there years ago in the summertime. there used to be lots of people up there.....er...shall we say courting! I sure it's a popular spot still.
    Seemingly so indeed, certainly yesterday.

Chong wrote: »
    Was up there today, did a route of 25km on my bike, went up from Meelick and back down the cratloe woods way. Great cycle, found it tough(only cycling 2 - 3 weeks)

Some adrenaline rush going full speed coming back down in to cratloe.

Also , I am not sure how to put this but is the Golf ball a famous area for couples?

I say this as we past 3 cars all in the act. Seems strange when there loads of hill walkers and families up there on a day like this.

Anyways the views are stunning up there I have to say.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/457/dscn0092.jpg

Right back at ya!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Pz14AbyWmHsvMOFAvb4pKQ?feat=directlink
    Took the scenic route off road (as usual) but on foot this time - myself and the g/f did about 15 km through the forest and up the side of keeper [Edit - Woodcock Hill, not keeper] . Rewarded with a hot meal and a great view at the top :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

concussion wrote: »
    Right back at ya!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Pz14AbyWmHsvMOFAvb4pKQ?feat=directlink
    Took the scenic route off road (as usual) but on foot this time - myself and the g/f did about 15 km through the forest and up the side of keeper. Rewarded with a hot meal and a great view at the top :D

Is that keeper hill near Newport?

Is that keeper hill near Newport?

Nope, the one out by Cratloe (with the radar stations on top)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

concussion wrote: »
    Nope, the one out by Cratloe (with the radar stations on top)

Keeper isn't near Cratloe - Keeper is in Tipperary

oh well - thanks you, you're absolutely correct. I've no idea why that popped into my head...the hill I was referring to is in fact Woodcock Hill.

Apologies to goingpostal

Advertisement