Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

m50 toll bridge???

Options
  • 21-05-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

hi,
    just back from dublin, got a letter in post saying i hadn't paid the toll of 3e a few days ago so there's an extra charge of 3e which will be 12 in total as went thro it twice.

had no idea about pre paying the toll and just assumed they weren't charging as there was no stop for paying with change.

how is everyone supposed to know this-esp. tourists????? where do they get billed to????

am v annoyed!!
    has this happened to anyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

do you generally not pay attention to any road signs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

They are complete cúnts, charged my dad €90 twice for apparently not paying the toll although he had the receipt which clearly said he paid the toll in time and then when he rang them up, some prick answered with a big attitude. Heard of others being charged the same aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

how is everyone supposed to know this-esp. tourists????? where do they get billed to????
    It was the subject of a huge advertising campaign when it was introduced and was covered non-stop by the media at the time. Were you living on the moon?

Did you not see the signage on the approach and on the road itself?

Re Tourists - hire cars have a warning about toll charges. If unpaid, they are added to the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

should've gone to specsavers

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Going to the airport tomorrow, does anyone know if theres anywhere in the airport to pay the toll?

• Advertisement

Going to the airport tomorrow, does anyone know if theres anywhere in the airport to pay the toll?
    Huges and Hughes bookshops in both arrival and departures area.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Thank you wishbone

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

hi,
    just back from dublin, got a letter in post saying i hadn't paid the toll of 3e a few days ago so there's an extra charge of 3e which will be 12 in total as went thro it twice.

had no idea about pre paying the toll and just assumed they weren't charging as there was no stop for paying with change.

am v annoyed!!
    has this happened to anyone else??

I think it could be better signposted. I have often wondered about that myself. I mean if I hadn't of heard about it on the media there's every likilihood I wouldn't be aware I was going through a toll. People can't be relied on to read signs, my experience is that you only notice them if you are looking for them.
    They are complete cúnts, charged my dad €90 twice for apparently not paying the toll although he had the receipt which clearly said he paid the toll in time and then when he rang them up, some prick answered with a big attitude. Heard of others being charged the same aswell.

I have had incorrect bills sent out 3 times out of the 4 or 5 times I've used the M50. The system is a joke. And I too had some Northern lad with a major attitude problem giving out to me that I had registered an account but not my car!? I think he was just one of hem people who takes things personally and enjoys an arguement. I think I would have known to enter my license plate seen as I was on the Video Reg option!
    I spoke to a supervisor immediately and it was quickly rectified.

I would NEVER PAY for a fine if I was in the right and had a receipt aswell :rolleyes:, that's ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I don't see how it can be legal. You enter into a contract by driving on a particular road even if you know nothing about the toll. I don't think the sign posts make it clear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I don't see how it can be legal. You enter into a contract by driving on a particular road even if you know nothing about the toll. I don't think the sign posts make it clear at all.

The sign is 3 or 4 meters wide and just a tall, and any motorist who claims not to have seen it should be done for driving without due care and attention.

Having said that, I did the m50 toll maybe 10 times since it went barrier-less, and have 6 or 7 letters claiming non payment.

For the most recent, have spent 5 weeks sending the same info to them ever few days, they cannot find the payment, I give them the credit card number, date and time of the transaction and they cannot find it.

• Advertisement

The sign is 3 or 4 meters wide and just a tall, and any motorist who claims not to have seen it should be done for driving without due care and attention.

Having said that, I did the m50 toll maybe 10 times since it went barrier-less, and have 6 or 7 letters claiming non payment.

For the most recent, have spent 5 weeks sending the same info to them ever few days, they cannot find the payment, I give them the credit card number, date and time of the transaction and they cannot find it.

What does the sign say??

jimmay wrote: »
    People can't be relied on to read signs
    ....and therefore deserve to have to pay the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's an extremely inefficient service in that they seem to never be able to tell whether you've paid or not, then have to send out letters threatening fines only to then have their asshole staff have to deal with everyone proving that they've actually paid. A complete and utter waste of time and money.

It shouldn't still be there in the first place, but that's a matter for another day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

....and therefore deserve to have to pay the price.

Calm down ted, I'm sure you'd change your tune if you were in a foreign country and didn't spot and understand some sign when you're driving along a 3 lane motorway.

The truth is you would easily drive by without knowing it's a toll and I wouldn't be surprised if the signs are strategically placed so they are not in the most efficient place in order for them to fine people who don't pay.

But even for the Irish Paddy who knows about it could easily slip your mind, I think it's a ridiculous system and I don't know how it's been allowed to continue. Oh wait I do...because of the sham of the traffic when there were barriers. One ridiculous system to the next :rolleyes:

I agree with jimmay, I think it's very easy to drive though and not realise what is expected of you, ie go to a shop or a certain website and pay a toll. What about Irish language on the sign, is there not a legal requirement that it has to be in Irish too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I agree with jimmay, I think it's very easy to drive though and not realise what is expected of you, ie go to a shop or a certain website and pay a toll. What about Irish language on the sign, is there not a legal requirement that it has to be in Irish too?

Firstly before both N3 (southbound) and N4 (northbound) there is a clear sign that says straight on is to "toll" (I forget if it's in Irish as well) -- so you still have a chance to avoid paying. After that, at the cameras themselves is a pretty huge sign that reminds you to pay before tomorrow. If you don't see that then you really shouldn't be driving! There is also a big sign saying how much to pay (along with an indicator that you can get discounts by pre-paying).

I don't see how anybody could "not know" that they didn't have to pay. I can see people forgetting (or pretending to forget), but not knowing there is a toll doesn't pass the smell test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

woodseb wrote: »
    do you generally not pay attention to any road signs?

there is allways one :mad:

i went over the toll bridge twice in a week got a letter last week to pay 6 euro i said grand that must be for the two times i went over it so i rang to confirm this , o no how wrong i was .
    it turns out the letter was for second time i went over. so i rang them to asked about the payment for the first time the guy on the phone then transfairs me to their legal department they tell me i will be receiving a fine wtf.i asked why they sent me a reminder for the second journey and not the first journey get this "we dont have to send you a reminder if we dont want to" sucmb bags i hope they rot in hell:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I happened to be going over the toll today, and decided to count the amount of signs - there are 8 road signs that clearly say it's a toll road, and an additional 2 rows of "TOLL" written in every lane on the road itself. The road signs are in both Irish and English. Three of these signs clearly tell you how to pay, and when you are supposed to do so. If you miss all of those, you really shouldn't be driving!

Advertisement