Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moet - is the 't' pronounced???

Options
  • 21-05-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Well, the question is in the title really. Do you pronounce it correctly?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mo-ay, no t

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I think it's pronounced Mo'wett. The founder, Claude Moet, is a Frenchman, however, his surname is Dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I always thought it was silent, but I was watching TV with my boyfriend recently, who has worked in bars and hotels for most of his life, and an ad for Moet came on. The voice-over pronouced it "Mo-ett", and just as I was about to point out the flaw, himself exclaimed "Finally, someone who pronounces it properly!". So I checked Wikipedia, which says:
    Moët is frequently mispronounced. Common mispronunciations include "mow-ee" and "mo-way". The correct pronunciation is "mo-wett".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

F1ngers wrote: »
    Yeah, but do you think by "gelatine" he actually meant "gelignite"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Mo-ett. The umlauts on the "e" make that perfectly clear.

Anyone who says Mo-ay deserves pointing and laughing. Especially the ones who try to correct you when you pronounce it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sean_K wrote: »
    Mo-ay, no t

*points & laughs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Faith wrote: »
    I always thought it was silent, but I was watching TV with my boyfriend recently, who has worked in bars and hotels for most of his life, and an ad for Moet came on. The voice-over pronouced it "Mo-ett", and just as I was about to point out the flaw, himself exclaimed "Finally, someone who pronounces it properly!". So I checked Wikipedia, which says:

Thank you. I wouldn't be one for drinking champagne at all but from time to time when out someone would want to order either a bottle or a glass, or else you'd hear someone after a weekend - "oh we were drinking Mo-ey at the weekend blah blah...." - and when corrected they look at you like you've 10 heads!

What's worse is people who argue that they are correct and it should be 'Mo-ey'!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭legalbird12

egan2020 wrote: »
    I think it's pronounced Mo'wett. The founder, Claude Moet, is a Frenchman, however, his surname is Dutch.

+1

Even in their television advert they pronounce it Mo'wett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honey-ec wrote: »

Anyone who says Mo-ay deserves pointing and laughing. Especially the ones who try to correct you when you pronounce it correctly.

Try telling bartenders that Duvel isn't pronounced Duvelle.!!

I'm always being corrected when I pronounce it reasonably correctly!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Them Belgians have made a rod for their own backs. It's not our fault it really looks like Duvelle, Hoe-garden and Lef-fuh.

Pint of Stella R2-iss, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm always being corrected when I pronounce it reasonably correctly!
    I do not mind people pronouncing stuff wrong, and do not often correct them, but people "correcting" my correct pronunciation drives me mental. I remember talking to my mate in an offy and saying stolichnaya (correctly) and the manager butting in out of nowhere "actually lads its pronounced ...." and says some crazy version of it in a real patronising way, I told him "thats not what it says on the bottle", shut the tosser up when he saw it. (the pronunciation is on most bottles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Yeah, pronounce the "T".

It's an awkward one though. If most people are mispronouncing it (and I think they are), then you yourself risk looking like a pleb if you say it correctly. Joe Punter will assume it's a proper French word and think that only an uneducated fool would pronounce the "t".

Stick to Bolly. Nicer Champagne and less chance of embarassing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

rediguana wrote: »

Stick to Bolly. Nicer Champagne and less chance of embarassing everyone.

and the "x" is silent at the end of that ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Honey-ec wrote: »

Same with people calling claret claré. Just because its french wine, doesn't mean the name is french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i was corrected on my pronunciation of Weihenstephaner the other night by a barman. he also asked me did i know how to pour it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Advertisement