Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rabbit pulling fur out

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

i've had a rabbit a good few months now, always kept her in the same place within the house, shes let out a lot, never bites. curious of people if you know what i mean, not a nervous rabbit.
    but i cleaned her cage last night and she made a sort of nest in the straw and pulled out all the grey fur from her paws (shes black) and put it in this nest.

i read a few things online this morning, somewhere it said female rabbits do this during mating season and it could be a ghost pregnancy and others say its severe stress and she needs to see a vet

anyone experienced this? help!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Yup. When you're pregnant you'll find yourself doing the same thing, artnotort ;)

Either she's pregnant or she's having a phantom pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

ahahah
    so do i have anything to worry about? leave her to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bainne2

While it would be normal for a pregnant bunny to make a nest it isn't such a good sign that a non-preggy one is doing it. Phantom pregnancies aren't something not to worry about either as the build up of hormones can trigger other problems.

Is she definitely making a nest with it? Or does it just happen that it looks like she is building a nest? Pulling out hair and leaving it around the place is a sign of stress so do keep an eye on her. If you get worried take her to the vet. Post back if you want recommendations for a bunny vet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hi, I have a rabbit for a few years now although he is male. Is it just the grey hair that you are finding or is there black hair too? Rabbits shed the fur twice a year (winter coat and summer coat) so it could be that. As for the nest, my rabbit does that too every now and then, it's weird but then so is he! :D Just keep an eye on her. If she is drinking water and eating food she is 99% ok. Has she gotten her booster shot this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

This time of the year alot of unspayed female bunnies have false pregnancys, it's the time of the year they would be breeding and raising litters. A female making a nest is the cutest thing ever though, if there is just fur left around the place then she is just shedding but if the fur is mixed with hay all in one area then it's probably a falsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

dogbert you sure he's a he?

Please anyone with a healthy young rabbit please consider getting the rabbit spayed, does have an extremely high chance of ending up with a reproductive cancer and spaying is a must with female buns.
    As long as you have an experienced vet to do it and provide the correct after care.

False preg. are very common in buns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

dogbert you sure he's a he?

Please anyone with a healthy young rabbit please consider getting the rabbit spayed, does have an extremely high chance of ending up with a reproductive cancer and spaying is a must with female buns.
    As long as you have an experienced vet to do it and provide the correct after care.

False preg. are very common in buns.

Ya this is true, they have an 80% chance of getting it by the age of four, and it is a slow and painful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭dogbert27

GuineaPigRescue: After 5 years yes I'm sure he's a he. All his bits and bobs are in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If he's a boy it could be more stress related or frustration not sure if male buns start to nest like female rabbits do. Perhaps no harm in having him checked over by the vet just in case there's a skin irritation or something else. Also have a look at his surroundings and see if anythings changed, if it doesn't pass and gets worse deffo. seek a vets advice.

Perhaps keep him extra busy with some extra things to do like brown paper bags filled with hay etc to shred up and a diggin box etc.

Advertisement