Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Census?

Options
  • 21-05-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Folks,

anyone know what's the story with the Gardai and Census people on the city roads for the last few days. They were on the Dock road this morning. What's it for?

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I heard there were massive tailbacks passing Patrickswell also.

It has to be done.

They ask you all the usual census questions and there is at least 2-3 department of social and family affairs people on hand to ask you serious questions if you get flagged.

They tend to catch a fair few people working on social welfare at these census points.

I am lucky enough to have always gotten through. I passed one on the N8 only last week but tiny compared to Limericks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

I'm still unclear as to what its for?
    And why does it have to be done Berty??

I can understand the Revenue/Customs dipping for Agri Diesel and so on.
    Or Gardai seeking help with an investigation.

But why disrupt commuter traffic when we have a proper census taken of the entire population every few years? Do you have to stop for them if its not a Garda that directs you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Do you have to stop for them if its not a Garda that directs you?

No, the only people you have to stop for and the Gardai (and emergency services, I think). Everyone else can go and jump...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i have also noticed lots of rubber strips running across roads maybe this has something to do with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stab*City wrote: »
    i have also noticed lots of rubber strips running across roads maybe this has something to do with it??

Yeah saw quite a few of those yesterday. Two rubber covered cables, about three feet apart, going from one side of the road to the other, leading into an electronic box. I assumed they were either for checking average speeds or checking car numbers at certain times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah saw quite a few of those yesterday. Two rubber covered cables, about three feet apart, going from one side of the road to the other, leading into an electronic box. I assumed they were either for checking average speeds or checking car numbers at certain times.

I saw one of these on the Roxboro Road yesterday at the entrance to the CIE Loco Works.

Those rubber cords only check traffic numbers. They cannot check speed. Speed is measured over a 25+ stretch using the standard {timexdistance covered} calculation.

You must stop if directed by a Garda member.

The census is important for Limerick especially because the last time a lot of us were in the pub or in Dublin watching the Munster match. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭phog

Baldie wrote: »
    No, the only people you have to stop for and the Gardai (and emergency services, I think). Everyone else can go and jump...

There wasa time when you had to stop for a man in charge of animals not sure if that's still the case sine the introduction of the new set of the rules of the road.

The rubber strips cant establish why you're on that route, generally the surveys will try to seek out your start point and your destination, this should give planners a better understanding of the traffic flow and traffic management.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah i got stopped, fecking do gooders!

Got asked where i was going, for how long, when i would be making my return journey, where i was coming from, and then where in that area i was from.

Pure nonsense in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'm pretty sure the rubber strips across the road measure the ammount of traffic passing. This can be used for no analysis traffic loads and distribution...I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Heard on the radio, theres gonna be more of these this week, they took a break for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

They annoyed the hell out of me this morning as I met them on the dual carriageway around Patrickswell.

The road was backed up a good bit, all I wanted to do, and what most people wanted to do was go to work.

I hope they actually make use of their stats rather than just producing some crap report that no-one will read.

I hope they actually make use of their stats rather than just producing some crap report that no-one will read.

Over 62.53% of statistics are made up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mumof3angels

I was taking my mum to the airport last thursday and there was one on the dock road. They stoped the car in fronth of me but waved me on thank god cause we were running late.
    As for the strips accross they road it could be something to do with the new road out to shannon . These strips were the hole way out to there !!!

They annoyed the hell out of me this morning as I met them on the dual carriageway around Patrickswell.

The road was backed up a good bit, all I wanted to do, and what most people wanted to do was go to work.

15 mins late for work this morning over it. :mad:

Didn't hear any mention of it on the radio, would have de-toured through Pa-well if I did.

You could sense how many people were pissed off this morning, lucky the garda were there to assist the Census lads, hell might have broken loose otherwise! :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Are the Gardai checking Tax and Insurance while the cars are stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

They're at the junction of the Shelbourne Road and the Condell Road this morning. Traffic backed back on the NCR.

Hubby was stopped. When asked "where are you going?", my daughter roared out "he's taking me to school and I'm late". Same lady was just in time for an exam. Lots of other kids being delayed for exams.

I hope this is stopped before the Leaving and Junior Certs on the 3rd June.

They were all over the place today like vermin and I was eventually nabbed in Thomondgate(outside Quiltys).

Where are you coming from? Is that home or work?
    Where are you going to? Is that home or work?
    Are you going back to XX when you get to XX?

Thats it.

Census my A*S these people are just trying to catch people out..

I.E.

Working and signing on.
    Tax Evaders
    No nct, tax

Also did anyone notice the guards are out collecting fines alot lately.. in my estate alone i seen the same guys calling to 3 different houses 3 days in a row.. when i looked into the front of the squad car he must have had at least 100 sheets for unpaid fines..

Also the tv licence inspector is milking raheen at the moment..

im afraid to leave the house/answer the door in case some government (if u can call it that) official is there trying to take more of my €204.30 social welfare payment off me.. God i hope i get a job soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

It's crazy-Traffic was backed up from Shannon bridge to Coonagh roundabout this morning. I was 20 mins late for work. That's the 4th time in the past week they have delayed me.

Anybody know who can I complain to on this? If I keep been late I may not have a job to go to/from. Muppets!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭phog

Census my A*S these people are just trying to catch people out..I.E.

Working and signing on.
    Tax Evaders
    No nct, tax

No they're not, they ask a few questions about where your going and coming from anf if you'll be using the same route to return and thats it.

I dont know if you have passed these but the sole role of the gardai is to get you to slip in and back out again of the survey channel.

Knock the idea of the survey if you want but please dont use untruths to scare prople away from the surveys.

phog wrote: »
    No they're not, they ask a few questions about where your going and coming from anf if you'll be using the same route to return and thats it.

I dont know if you have passed these but the sole role of the gardai is to get you to slip in and back out again of the survey channel.

Knock the idea of the survey if you want but please dont use untruths to scare prople away from the surveys.

And you know this for a fact do you? that the information obtained will not be used for other purposes??

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

And you know this for a fact do you? that the information obtained will not be used for other purposes??

tinfoil-hat.jpg

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

ya i got stopped before you come onto the shannon bridge..was kinda nervous cos i drive with a learner sticker (tax, nct, insurance is ok!) but im always a bit nervous about the learner plates..eventhough iv been driving since september!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I got stopped last week near the Coonagh (?sp) roundabout. I don't normally go to Limerick but was on a course for that day and had the luck of having to do the census. Was stressed big time as my tax is not up to date and I also haven't put on the new insurance disc but fortunately the garda didn't come anywhere near my car. In addition to the 'where are you going, where did you come from (had to be specific - the town name wasn't enough), is it for work/pleasure, what time will you be coming back and will you be coming back this way they also wanted to know who I worked for which I thought was a bit rich, an invasion of privacy and of no relevance to the survey.

* Reports one for openly driving without a full license

* Reports one for driving with out of date tax

* Suggests at least one person takes comments to the Conspiracy Theory Forum

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

was an hour late getting home yesterday :mad: . Stopping traffic just before the turnoff to the salesians on the condell road. Worst thing about it was, only inbound traffic from the condell road was being surveyed, which meant that the hold up on the outbound lane was due to onlookers and snoopers!FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

bobmeaney wrote: »
    was an hour late getting home yesterday :mad: . Stopping traffic just before the turnoff to the salesians on the condell road. Worst thing about it was, only inbound traffic from the condell road was being surveyed, which meant that the hold up on the outbound lane was due to onlookers and snoopers!FFS!

The reason the traffic was building up heading out towards Coonagh was because the filter lane for the Salesians turnoff-Shelbourne Road etc was being used for the survey. It was at least halved in length.

Therefore people like myself who were turning right there were having to slow down in a single lane area and indicate right.

And those heading straight on were adhering to the speed limit because of the presence of uniformed Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

This evening they are on the Tipperary road stopping traffic on the city side of the bypass and again near the Rossbrien Roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yesterday morning when i was going home after working, i prayed that the lane would fill up and i wouldnt have to be asked more questions. Lucky for me it did.

That one was located at the roundabout down from Maldron hotel. Some queue though

Advertisement