Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tcdwifi and mobile handsets

Options
  • 21-05-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if handsets with wifi can access the TCD network (while in TCD). I'm thinking of the Nokia 5800 in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Yes, in fact Baza210 has his working perfectly.
    You'll need to sign up for the metakall trial (there's a thread here somewhere about it) in order to actually connect to the network. It used to be that all symbian devices could just connect but they've locked that down and now metakall is the only option.
    Have you got your 5800 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thank you - it's on its way to me :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ron DMC wrote: »
    It used to be that all symbian devices could just connect but they've locked that down and now metakall is the only option.
    More like they didn't realise the flaw rather than having it like that by design :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055533594

I've got it working quite well on my E51

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭legomanx51v

Is the metakall thing still going on in college? How are people connecting nokias to the wifi now?
    Im thinking of getting a nokia e52 symbian phone if i can actually use the wifi in college for emails and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How are people connecting nokias to the wifi now?
    250MB data plan + COMPSCIwireless

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I've had my 5800 working on TCDwifi most of last year - havn't gotten around to enabling this year yet so not 100% sure if this still works.

But basically the tcdwifi authenticates based on your wireless cards MAC address. So if you find out your phones mac address then change your/a m8's laptops MAC address to match the phone. Then you can sign up for tcdwifi as normal as if you were registering a new laptop. After all the scans etc are run, change your laptops mac address back and bam your phone should be working on the network (after you set up all the proxy settings etc ofc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

would this work on my Nokia 5530?

Edit: Just read website, want to try it now, but website is only one page as far as I can see.

Anyone able to direct me to the S60 instal thingy?

If you could confirm that the mac add spoofing method still works that'd be great.

so basically you spoof phones mac address on a laptop and register on NAC. then enter the following settings on the phone:
    Jonathan wrote:
    Nokia S60 instructions for TCDwifi

Create new access point:

Connection Name: TCDwifi (Or call it what you want)
    Data Bearer: Wireless LAN
    WLAN network name: TCDwifi (case sensitive)
    Network Status: Hidden
    WLAN network mode: Infrastructure
    WLAN Security mode: 802.1x
    WLAN security settings:
    WPA/WPA2: EAP
    EAP plug-in settings:
    EAP-LEAP selected and as first priority

Deselect the rest.

EAP-LEAP settings:
    U/name: Your college one
    Prompt p/word: No
    P/word: Your college one

EAP-PEAP settings:
    Personal cert: Not def.
    Auth cert: Not def.
    U/name in use: User def.
    Realm in use: From cert.
    Realm: Blank
    Allow PEAPv0,1,2: Yes

PEAP-EAP's
    Deselect all except EAP-MSCHAPv2 and raise to 1st priority

EAP-MSCHAPv2 sett.
    Prompt p/word: Yes
    P/word: Your college one

Now you need to go back out to the main screen where you keyed in the ssid of the network.
    Options -> Advanced Settings -> Proxy
    Proxy server address: proxyA.tcd.ie or proxyB.tcd.ie (pick which ever, they are just load balancing)

Port number: 8080

Would i be right in doing this? i really need confirmation this works otherwise there is no point in me getting a new phone.

If you could confirm that the mac add spoofing method still works that'd be great.

so basically you spoof phones mac address on a laptop and register on NAC. then enter the following settings on the phone:

Would i be right in doing this? i really need confirmation this works otherwise there is no point in me getting a new phone.
    You could at least give credit to the person who originally wrote out those instructions. ;)

• Advertisement

Havn't bothered bringing in my laptop to try this year (I have a computer science wifi account so no real point) however I don't see why it wouldn't work again. One thing I would mention is that you should disable all authentication methods except for leap. PEAP will be used automatically even if it has low priority and personally I had lots of issues getting things working with it.

Disable everything except for LEAP and things should work fine.

Word of warning - the S60 OS doesn't have an option to save your proxy password - so every time you connect you will have to renter your password (for the proxy, not for the wifi) manually, so if your planning on using the wifi for automatic updates or syncing or the like you'll probably be disappointed, it works fine if you just want to check the internet or email or something where manual input isn't a chore.

zil wrote: »
    Word of warning - the S60 OS doesn't have an option to save your proxy password - so every time you connect you will have to renter your password (for the proxy, not for the wifi) manually, so if your planning on using the wifi for automatic updates or syncing or the like you'll probably be disappointed, it works fine if you just want to check the internet or email or something where manual input isn't a chore.
    Is it possible to store it in the [noparse]username:password@host form[/noparse]? I haven't checked.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Is it possible to store it in the [noparse]username:password@host form[/noparse]? I haven't checked.

hmm, I *think* I tried that last year but I could be mistaken. Either way worth a try - if it didn't work last year there's a chance the new firmware updates that have been released lately might have enabled it.

zil wrote: »
    Havn't bothered bringing in my laptop to try this year (I have a computer science wifi account so no real point) however I don't see why it wouldn't work again. One thing I would mention is that you should disable all authentication methods except for leap. PEAP will be used automatically even if it has low priority and personally I had lots of issues getting things working with it.

Disable everything except for LEAP and things should work fine.

really appreciate the quick replies, when i do get a chance ill try it myself and hope for the best :o

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Anyone know if you can set-up the iphone 3gs on the tcdwifi this year?

i think there's no problem setting up the iphone 3gs, haven't got one personally but it works for symbian phones.

i got my e52 working on TCDwifi, but ran into the problem of having to enter the tcd username and password every time.
    opera mobile has an option to save it so i dont have to retype it but everything else doesn't.
    i also tried entering the proxy address as "username: password@ proxyA.tcd.ie" but it didnt work.

Anyone have a solution?

Advertisement