Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat X-Ray

Options
  • 20-05-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey, Just wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to have your cat X-Rayed?

Thanks! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

depends on a lot, if he needs just sedation or full ga, what are you xraying, how many different views are needed, a bit more info and i can help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nanook32

Yeah I think its just going to be the sedation for the X-Ray for now anyway (Thats what the girl told me on the phone....Forgot to ask for a price though :() I've to get is tail X-Rayed... Just want to have an idea of how much to bring with me tomorrow ya know?

ok well if its just the tail, it shouldnt be too bad now this is only going on what i know my vet would charge, it would work out at probably 70 -80 euro for the sedation/xray/day in obviously if there are any problems with the tail other charges might be added. Anyways they shouldnt really ask you for money when you drop her in, you should probably be paying when you collect her later after they have done the xray.

Thanks a mill Jules, thats a relief!! I had all sorts of massive numbers flying around in my head!!! I'd imagine there will be extra added after when the results come back, oh well. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!!
    Really appreciate your help! :D
    Thanks again!!

ah now i feel crap cuz you might have a really **** vet who will make it millions, have you had your inital consultation yet? Is your cat slim or fat cat? And are you leaving her/him in for the day, if you are you should tell them to let you know the bill when they ring you to tell you what time to collect her/him!

• Advertisement

Are ya allowed mention vets on this? My vet seems nice, :D (We'll see how nice tomorrow :P) My kitty is nice and slim, a young cat bout7/8 months. Tomorrow will be the first consultation so I don't know if she will actually will take him in for an Xray tomorrow but i think he may need it cause he can't carry his tail and its hurting him plus hes mega sleepy and stand off-ish where hes usually all over you 24/7. So have to get the little guy sorted :(

Does he go out, is he neutered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Could just be a bite, my cat had a case of limp tail last year and turned out to be an abscess, antibiotics cured it in no time.

I hope it's not a break anyhow, but they can quite likely tell without an X-ray either way, as it's pretty obvious.

Yeah he goes out but not lot, mainly just to poop n pee, he might be gone for two hours out of the whole day but not all at once. Hes a little house cat. Yep he's neutered a while now.

Well done blueprint! There are a few things that could be an issue, one is a cat bite which may have turned into an abcess, these are usually defensive wounds which cats get on paws, heads and tails.. mainly when they are running away. Now it could also be a tail pull injury, where he has gotten his tail stuck and yanked it and hurt it.

I would rework your estimate to include a consultation fee of between 35-45 euro depending on where in teh country you are and also antibiotic and pain killing inections. So i would guesstimate for the lot between 130 - 160 including meds and cleaning of the wound!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys! That helps a WHOLE lot. It could be a bit actually, i remember about two years ago my other cat had a cat bite abscess on his paw. This little guys tail looks a bit bent though he can slightly lift it a tiny bit but then the rest is just lifeless.
    But yeah I forgot about adding on the 45e fee for the visit before anything else....

I'll be back tomorrow to let ya's know how he gets on!!

Gotta get some shut eye for workies in the mornin'!

Thanks again to ya both for the info and your time!!

Anna :)

Your welcome and from a nurses point of view there is nothing more satisfying than cleaning an abcess!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

If his tail looks bent it could be a fracture/dislocation of the caudal vertebrae and it may need amputated. But this is a straighforward enough procedure and shouldnt cost too much.

A great vet once told me two things, common things are common, if your dog is scratching he probably has fleas. You don't have to go jumping at amputation or fracture/dislocation talk. That just scares and upsets people. It is probably something very straight forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Jules wrote: »
    Your welcome and from a nurses point of view there is nothing more satisfying than cleaning an abcess!!!!!
    Mmm, you really do love your job eh? haha!!:D

OP, if your vet is the decent sort- and most are- they'll allow you to put some or all of the consultation/treatment charge on account. I'm lucky with my vet in that my account with them is better than a credit card- they never lean on me to pay any of it off, cos they know I'll settle as much as I can afford when I have it.
    If you need to, have a word with the vet nurse who's on tomorrow, it's usually they who approve it, not the vet.

Best of luck with your cat, I'm sure it'll all turn out fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

get pet insurance!
    There's nothing better than knowing that you'll only spend about 60 euros, and the rest is covered! (one of our cats went in for chest x-rays and a lung biopsy - that cost roughly 400 Euro, 350 of which I got back thanks to pet insurance...). X-rays should be around 60 to 80 Euros if I remember correctly.

Good luck, hope the little fella is ok! ;-)

Just back from the vets now :D
    Thankfully he didn't need an X-Ray (Phew!)
    He had a big bite on his tail but no abscess! (I didn't even notice the bite!! And It was HUGE!)

He got two little injections and is on a course of Anti-b's starting tomorrow....
    He still has a bent tail :P

Thanks for everyones help!!!
    Tazz thanks yas all too :P

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Good to hear Nanook!
    Maybe his tail will strengthen and straighten once the bite is healed and he's in no pain....
    Any idea what could have bitten him?

I think maybe another cat? That was my first thought anyways. But its a real long bite, em kinda like the tooth caught it and dragged down the tail yeno?
    Hes got a little bald bit, well a bit bald bit on his tail now (The vet pulled some of the scab off on him). I couldn't imagine anything else getting a hold of him bar another cat... or maybe him and my other cat got roudy and my other fella done it to him! But they don't fight fight... (Well, I've never seen them fight :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Jules wrote: »

...or expressing impacted anal glands!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Great news! He should get back to normal in no time, my cat was better within a week. It proabably just hurts him to move the tail, so he should be OK again soon.

My girl has a really expressive tail, so I was really relieved when it returned to normal as it would have been a shame to have it not working properly.

...or expressing impacted anal glands!!

Score... or top notch... bunny rabbit abcess!!!!! Like cream cheese!

Advertisement