Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts in Kilkenny

Options
  • 20-05-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to see what martial arts are available in Kilkenny. I think it'd be a good way of getting fit and I've always been interested in it.

Is anyone a member? whats on offer? can you get personal lessons? where? etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

dude be more specific, Theres JJJ, BJJ,akido, kickboxing, MMA, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Capoiera, Kenpo, Boxing..... loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Jesper wrote: »
    I'm looking to see what martial arts are available in Kilkenny. I think it'd be a good way of getting fit and I've always been interested in it.

Is anyone a member? whats on offer? can you get personal lessons? where? etc...

In Friary hall there is Judo on Tuesdays 8:30 -9:45 [Fridays for Yellow belts and up] and Karate on Mondays and Thursdays.

In the CBS primary school sports Hall there is Japanese Ju-Jitsu on Mon and Wed IIRC.

Most of these will be shutting down of the Summer. So if you contact any of them you might be told to wait until Sept when they resume. Judo for certain is closing down for the summer on the second week of June.

There is MMA [broken up into BJJ, Muay thai, Wrestling and Boxing] at St. Canice's Hall nearly every day except Tuesdays. You might have seen there posters around the city [Kilkenny Top Pro]

Kilkenny Top Pro also runs Full Contact Kickboxing on Mon, Wed and Thursdays at 8:30.

Raze will be able to give you more/better info on the Kilkenny Top Pro training than I can.

I think thats about it. I'm not sure if there is any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

dude be more specific, Theres JJJ, BJJ,akido, kickboxing, MMA, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Capoiera, Kenpo, Boxing..... loads!
    besides from kickboxing, wrestling, and boxing, the rest could sound like recipes from an asian fusion cookbook.
    i too have been thinking about trying something like this but i wouldn't know what to be specific about without having to ask first.
    specifically i want something where flinging sheep over goal-posts is not involved, breaking bricks with my left testicle is not required and something where i don't have to address people by a title that's unpronounceable.
    does that narrow it down any?

thanks Johnmc1, i might contact you for more details when i pluck up the nerve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I am a former member of the Jiu-Jitsu club run by Larry McEnroe in the cbs primary school.
    Very good instructor and all of the other high grading people are dead sound and really know what they are talking about.
    There is a strong emphasis on fitness, strength and practical forms of self defence. The art its self in Japanese means, "the gentle way", gentle on the user not the person your doing it to ;)

Its mainly based on blocks, and lock ups, which when put into use are break bone techniques. The club also runs regular events with other styles of Martial Arts such as kung fu. I remember when I was there we went to Dublin and Wexford a few times to learn bits of kick boxing etc :D

Very nice club , mixing traditional with modern self defence methods!

catbear wrote: »

You're Welcome Catbear. I'll have more details for you when you're ready.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    besides from kickboxing, wrestling, and boxing, the rest could sound like recipes from an asian fusion cookbook.
    i too have been thinking about trying something like this but i wouldn't know what to be specific about without having to ask first.
    specifically i want something where flinging sheep over goal-posts is not involved, breaking bricks with my left testicle is not required and something where i don't have to address people by a title that's unpronounceable.
    does that narrow it down any?

Well are you looking to take it up with a view of competition, fitness or fun???
    Would you prefer a striking martial art? a submission/ground fighting one? Or one that's just a lot of fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matrixman

Hi all,

There is a fantastic karate club in kilkenny. They teach Shotokan karate and are affiliated to the Japan Karate Association (JKA). The instructors are very good and the training is traditional and practical ...

Search under google for 'Kilkenny JKA Shotokan' and it comes up .. They train in the Loreto Sports Hall if thats any help ...

I trained there before for a while and found the instructor very technical and I learned alot ...

Hope this helps :)

matrixman wrote: »
    Hi all,

There is a fantastic karate club in kilkenny. They teach Shotokan karate and are affiliated to the Japan Karate Association (JKA). The instructors are very good and the training is traditional and practical ...

Search under google for 'Kilkenny JKA Shotokan' and it comes up .. They train in the Loreto Sports Hall if thats any help ...

I trained there before for a while and found the instructor very technical and I learned alot ...

Hope this helps :)

There is also Shotkan Karate at the Friary Hall On Mon and Thurs. They are under the S.K.I organization though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 matrixman

Cool .. two different organisations ... JKA seems to be the main one ... I have found the Kilkenny clubs website - www.budokarateclub.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Well are you looking to take it up with a view of competition, fitness or fun???
    Would you prefer a striking martial art? a submission/ground fighting one? Or one that's just a lot of fun?

I'd be doing it to get fit and learn something new. I'd prefer a striking martial art. I'll have to look into the differentiation between the different types. Does age matter? I'm mid 20's. I'd probably only be able to attend every second week (shift work). I'd even think about 1 - 1 instructions because of that.

• Advertisement

Age never matters, it's a common misconception that it does, I've fought a lad that was 39 at the time(and lost)

To be honest if your doing it for fun and to be safe in real life I'd be careful what one you pick as alot of traditional martial arts tend to have set defences from set attacks
    e.g. Left handed block from a right step through punch.

Where martial arts such as judo, mma and BJJ is more focused on real fight condition, Like in judo alot of it is using your opponents gi(clothes) to dump him on his ass, and the sparring in it is very good, even though it's not technically a striking martial art

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 markastapl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jack23

hi there,
    There is a new karate club in kilkenny. classes starting saturday 12 september in watershed leisure centre in kilenny.
    KK KARATE Club is a member of the Oyama International Karate Federation. Classic, full-contact, Japanese style of Karate.
    Just visit www.kkkarate.com and check ''About me'' page. Chief Instructor Sensei Yvette is well qualified black belt female instructor with internationally recognized qualifications!
    check her achievements!
    -former canadian champion,
    -european championships medalist,
    -five times polish champion
    -two time polish cup winner
    -Yvette earned Most Valuable Karateka Award for two years in a row in
    2003 and 2004
    -Branch Chief of the Oyama International Karate Federation in Ireland.

She is unreal guys, no doubt about it.
    and she is only 26 now

Unfortunately classes are 4 kids only, damn it :)
    I hope she will run adults classes soon :)

visit : www.kkkarate.com for more details

jack23 wrote: »
    hi there,
    There is a new karate club in kilkenny. classes starting saturday 12 september in watershed leisure centre in kilenny.
    KK KARATE Club is a member of the Oyama International Karate Federation. Classic, full-contact, Japanese style of Karate.
    Just visit www.kkkarate.com and check ''About me'' page. Chief Instructor Sensei Yvette is well qualified black belt female instructor with internationally recognized qualifications!
    check her achievements!
    -former canadian champion,
    -european championships medalist,
    -five times polish champion
    -two time polish cup winner
    -Yvette earned Most Valuable Karateka Award for two years in a row in
    2003 and 2004
    -Branch Chief of the Oyama International Karate Federation in Ireland.

She is unreal guys, no doubt about it.
    and she is only 26 now

Unfortunately classes are 4 kids only, damn it :)
    I hope she will run adults classes soon :)

visit : www.kkkarate.com for more details

I emailed her about adult classes and she said she's thinking about adding Adult classes and self defense for ladies classes early next year. She said she would let me know if she started them sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jack23

nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Frank my Boy

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I am a former member of the Jiu-Jitsu club run by Larry McEnroe in the cbs primary school.
    Very good instructor and all of the other high grading people are dead sound and really know what they are talking about.
    There is a strong emphasis on fitness, strength and practical forms of self defence. The art its self in Japanese means, "the gentle way", gentle on the user not the person your doing it to ;)

Its mainly based on blocks, and lock ups, which when put into use are break bone techniques. The club also runs regular events with other styles of Martial Arts such as kung fu. I remember when I was there we went to Dublin and Wexford a few times to learn bits of kick boxing etc :D

Very nice club , mixing traditional with modern self defence methods!
    Larry has a new gym now, the dragon's lair in the industrial estate opposite nolan's carpets, it's shared with guy called Bernard who does kick boxing. Ju jitsu is mon wed 8-9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 selena27

There will be fitness classes there too.Have seen posters in Mcdonagh.Location suits me perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Dragons Lair Martial Arts and Fitness center is the brainchild of Bernard Doyle and Larry McEnroe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Bernard a 5th Dan black belt has been training in martial arts for 34 years and best known as instructor at the famous Kilkenny Black Dragon kickboxing club which has turned out some of Kilkennys best known martial arts sportsmen and women and many champions over the years untill its demise.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Larry known from his Kilkenny Ju-Jitsu club formally based in the CBS Stephen St is currently a Renshi 5th Dan black belt and President of Jiu-Jitsu International Ireland, Co founder Irish Jiu-Jitsu Academy and has been training 25 years as student of Kyoshi Olu Bamgbose 8th Dan and Soke Richard Morris 10th Dan Larry achieved a 3rd place finish in the prestigious World Kobudo world cup in Vienna in 2000 and since then has retired from active competition dedicating his time and skill to teaching others.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Dragons Lair is the Southeast Premier martial arts & fitness center,at 6,000sq feet its the largest of its type outside the capital.It boasts a fully equipped martial arts gym including boxing ring, bags,speed balls and is equipped with safety matting on the floors to ensure a safe and professional training environment.It also has 2 studios which will host a variety of fitness and health classes to suit all needs.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Dragons Lair have assembled an experienced and qualified team around them at the full time facility to offer the highest standards of classes in the country, with instructors teaching the following classes to all age groups from kids to the over 40's ,Ju-Jitsu, Kickboxing, MMA, Thai Boxing, K1, Boxing and Dance, Pilates, Aerobics, Power Pump and step. What makes Dragons Lair even more unique is the clubs philosophy that everybodys martial arts journey is unique to them, so if you want to train for your own personal development and have no interest in competing or aspire to being Kilkennys next World Champion your training package will be tailored to suit.[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]

Classes run all year round with classes 6 days a week and seminars and sparring sessions running on differnet weekends.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For more information feel free to contact Bernie or Larry on 085 7750448 or 085 7750442[/FONT]

Advertisement