Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify my turtle please anyone???

Options
  • 20-05-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/C:\Documents and Settings\Brekkie\Desktop\crush.jpg[/IMG]

Could anyone identify this guy / gal for me please?

My cousin was checking an apartment that had been vacated by tenants and found it left to fend for itself. It's in a tank, with a filter, light, heater and float and there was dried prawns in a tub beside the tank. It's been abandoned.

It's a beautiful animal and I'd love to give it the care it deserves but I don't know the species. It's shell is approx. 8 inches long and 4 inches across. He is much bigger than the small terrapins you'd see in the pet shop.

I can't believe that someone would walk away from this pet, especially after obviously spending a lot of money on all of the accesories that are here!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I knew exactly what I was dealing with I'd be able to cater better for it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

sorry, I forgot to put a link to the picture - here we go
    http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/magicman2000/crush.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I think he is a yellow belly slider not 100% but as far as i know he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i think its a yellow bellied slider!

just like a terrapin, they grow huge too-i found 1 left in a river nearly dead last week and tried to save him by putting him in with my 1's but he died, i dont know why people do that..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

cowzerp wrote: »
    i think its a yellow bellied slider!

just like a terrapin, they grow huge too-i found 1 left in a river nearly dead last week and tried to save him by putting him in with my 1's but he died, i dont know why people do that..

Ah i would say that is confirmation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not familiar with shelly critters but someone else might be able to say.
    The shell, judging from the pic, looks in good nick.
    Someone might be able to recommend an experienced vet in your area that will be able to give you more info. on diet and general care etc.
    If it's a terrapin (could easily be) they grow very large so this guy may not be finished growing. They sell them as tiny babies in the shops and people don't tend to research them and don't realise how large they grow and then suddenly they don't want them any more hence prob. why this guy was left.

Good on you for taking him/her on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Yep, it's a yellow bellied slider from what I can see. They relatively easy to keep, as turtles go, but they do grow quite large. This is a good basic care sheet to get you started:
    http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

This is a great site for learning more, and getting good ideas for tank set ups etc.:
    http://www.turtleforum.com

Turtle products can be hard to get in Ireland, past the basic food and very basic tank equipment, most things have to be bought online or made yourself, not as hard as it sounds.

Good luck with the little guy, they really can be great fun, and have great little personalities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

Thanks so much for all the help, it's very much appreciated! I'd love to look after but if it's going to get bigger than it already is the first I'll have to do is invest in a bigger tank, the one it's in is only about 2 foot wide....again, all of your help is hugely appreciated! I'm really looking forward to me and the family getting to know this guy......!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

If you put up a pic of the claws and tail I could prob sex the turt for you if you want . Generally female turts get much bigger than the male ones.

(just handy to know when your thinking of buying a new tank ;) )

How long do you have the little guy?

Advertisement