Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringworm in Dogs?

Options
  • 20-05-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

First off,I cant afford to bring the dog to the vet yet.

I got ringworm a few weeks ago,not too bad and its gone now.But my GP told me I could have got it from my dog.

There are no obvious signs he has it,ie rings on him.But is it possible it might not have shown up yet?

He has taken to licking the inside of his front legs alot lately,at the top of them.Could that be a sign?

I know I should bring him to the vet but thats 30 quid a go and at the mo I cant afford that.

Btw,he's a 3 yr full bred jack russell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

:rolleyes:

And what if your dog suddenly came down with a serious/life threatening condition?

You should be able to finance taking care of your dog no matter what time of the month it is.
    I suggest you start putting some money away for emergencies in case something more serious ever comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Noopti wrote: »

And what if your dog suddenly came down with a serious/life threatening condition?

You should be able to finance taking care of your dog no matter what time of the month it is.
    I suggest you start putting some money away for emergencies in case something more serious ever comes up.

That dident really help:rolleyes:

As I said I cant afford it right now and I dont feel like divulging my finacial situation to people now.

That dident really help:rolleyes:

As I said I cant afford it right now and I dont feel like divulging my finacial situation to people now.

It mightn't help you, but maybe just maybe, if it put the idea of responsibility into your mind it might help your dog in future.

One thing is for sure - my post might not be helpful in the short term, but you obviously can't help your dog right now either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

it is adviseable to treat your dog for ringworm reguarly enough anyway.

it is not expensive, just buy the tablets and pop them in his/her food.

retreat according to instructions.

Happy121 wrote: »
    it is adviseable to treat your dog for ringworm reguarly enough anyway.

it is not expensive, just buy the tablets and pop them in his/her food.

retreat according to instructions.

Thanks,so its grand just to treat him with tablets then?

I was thinking he would need treatment at the vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You will need to get the tablets at the vets and the vet will need to assess the ring worm, this is highly contagious and is possible to spread to humans and other animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ringworm is not that serious. It's just a bit itchy. Anyhoo - it's a fungal infection, not a worm. You'd see the 'lesions' on the dog if they had it.

What usually happens is your dog was walking around and possibly touched off a post that a cow had been scratching itself on and brought the fungus home to you. Have you been walking in the country lately? Climbing over gates in fields and the like? If so, you probably got it directly from the posts/gates.

I havent been climbing over things but I have been out through grass with alot of Rabbits in it.I have had the dog out on walks alot recently too.That could be it.

I am more worried about the dog as the rash has cleared up on me.Nothing has showed up on him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Some dogs can actually carry ringworm and pass it on without showing any outward signs of the infection themselves but that's not all that common. Often times there will only be one or two lesions which aren't that obvious and you mostly get it in younger dogs - as they get older they become more resistant to it. Chances are you probably got it yourself in the way olaola described. My grandfather used to use cider vinegar on it if any of the dogs got it - I don't know how safe that would be, maybe someone here will know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Noopti wrote: »

Just wondering if you are aware there is a recession on and masses of people who were never expecting it to happen to them have been laid off while already owning well cared for pets?

Are they meant to hand them in to rescue right away or maybe have them PTS just to satisfy your judgemental attitude?

Even if you have your pets insured you still have to pay 75 Euro excess, so if there is only something small wrong with them it doesn't do you any good.

The OP obviously cares for their dog, as they are worried about them getting ringworm, which is far from a life threathening condition.

Local-womanizer - Ringworm doesn't usually affect healthy adult dogs and cats, as they have immunity against it, but they can quite often carry it on their coat having picked it up on their travels.

And I have found with my vets, that if you go in and ask the nurses about what the best treatment is for minor skin problems, worms etc. they will advise you and sell you the item without having to see a vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

+1 there Blueprint. I'm a veterinary nurse and have absolutely no issue is dishing out all the advice int he world to people, and at the end of the day every vet in the country understands there is a recession on and makes allowances for people with certain money issues. In this particular occasion, all veterianry nurses know how to use a Woods Lamp, its a uv lamp used to detect ringworm. You should be able to go to your vet and get your nurse to give your dog a quick check over. If s/he where to find something they can advise you further, at the end of the day we only really care about the animals and that they get looked after. If obviously the treatment doesnt work then you would have to take the next step to see our vet.

Since responsibility was mentioned,telling ESB you cant pay the bill because you spent the money on the dog wont go down too well with them.A life threathening condition and there would be no doubt I would be to the vet straight away.

Thanks there Blueprint and Jules.I will try and get to the vet with him on Friday.He's a white dog and I was thinking if he had ringworm it might not show up as easily.Hopefully the Nurses down there are as understanding as yourselfs:pac:They are a good bunch though so I would say they wont have a problem giving him a look over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ring them first and ask if they have a Woods Lamp, and ust explain the situation, like i said us vet nurses care more about the dogs/cats than the owners nd will do what we can to help!

And ringworm would show up on a white dog, especially in a white dog, with active RW you migh tbe looking at something like this

040212tn_Ringworm_grooming_21days_later_Singapore.jpg

There would be definate hairloss in the area anyway. I just like to add i hate that docs straight away blame pets, you can pick up RW from other people too!

Jules wrote: »
    Ring them first and ask if they have a Woods Lamp, and ust explain the situation, like i said us vet nurses care more about the dogs/cats than the owners nd will do what we can to help!

And ringworm would show up on a white dog, especially in a white dog.

There would be definate hairloss in the area anyway. I just like to add i hate that docs straight away blame pets, you can pick up RW from other people too!

Thats great,cheers Jules.My Doc asked me first thing if I had pets!Mind you he said it wouldent do any harm to get him looked at.He has nothing on his skin at all but I'll take him down anyway.

Blueprint wrote: »
    Just wondering if you are aware there is a recession on and masses of people who were never expecting it to happen to them have been laid off while already owning well cared for pets?

Are they meant to hand them in to rescue right away or maybe have them PTS just to satisfy your judgemental attitude?

Yes, I think I am fully aware there is a recession. Give me a break.

If a person cannot properly care for their pet due to financial problems then it needs to be sorted. Glossing over that important fact with an excuse like "it is a recession" is non-sensical.
    If a person cannot afford €30 to pay for a Vet to see their sick pet then in my opinion they are not being a responsible owner.

I never suggested handing the pet into a rescue straight away. I said that they should seriously consider putting money away for such instances, as they clearly might have trouble again in the future should a more serious condition affect their pet - and it could lead to far worse consequences for the animal in question. If you think that is judgemental or bad advise then I seriously think you need to re-assess your views on pet care and responsibilty.

Yes, there is a recession. Yes, times are hard. But I'm sure the OP could take a look at their personal finances and find a way to cut back on something else in order to put something, anything, away in case their pet becomes sick again in the future.

People need to be able to take constructive criticism and advice which only has the long term welfare of the animal in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

There is nothing wrong in advising people to put money aside in future to be able to afford to bring their animal to the vet. It was just the way you worded it. If I was really struggling to make ends meet and worrying about my dog at the same time, the last thing I'd need is for you to come along and tell me what a bad irresponsible owner I am without offering any contructive help.

Advertisement