Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Poster Locations

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

Is there anything that can be done about the idiots who are trying to cause car crashes by putting up elections posters, right in the line of sight of car drivers, on railings and city/county council signs at roundabouts/traffic lights, blocking the view of oncoming traffic.

Who would be responsible in that case if there was a crash due to the inability of a driver to see due to these posters?

Just curious
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Saw a good few on overpasses and overhead bridges as well, and am dying to know who would take responsibility if the wind blows one down and makes **** of a passing car - or worse still, causes someone injury or death.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Saw a good few on overpasses and overhead bridges as well, and am dying to know who would take responsibility if the wind blows one down and makes **** of a passing car - or worse still, causes someone injury or death.....

In dun laoghaire rathdown in dublin they advise they take out insurance. I have contacted several parties about their illegal posters and have had no response from any. About 90% are posters are in breach of the litter and pollution act.

For DLRCC
    http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Meetings/2009/DDHWWEDCEC/MAR09.htm

Guidelines Relating to the Display of Election Poster:

1. Election posters should only be erected after an election has been declared and a polling date determined.

2. In accordance with the Litter Pollution Act 1997 election posters and ties must be removed within 7 days after polling date. Failure to do so may result in prosecution. The associated fixing arrangement particularly plastic ties must be removed at the same time the poster is being removed.

3. No adhesive or metal fixings are permitted.

4. All posters should be manufactured from cardboard composites or other recyclable materials.

5. The Party or individual responsible for the poster must be clearly indicated on the poster.

6. Posters must not be erected as follows:

a. on lamp standards with overhead line electricity feed,

b. on traffic signal poles,

c. on bridge parapets, overpasses and on pedestrian bridges

d. on roadside traffic barriers

e. on traffic poles or statutory signage of any type including stop, yield, cycletrack, parking control, etc.

f. on Motorways

g. must not obstruct the view of traffic lights or road signs,

h. must not block or obstruct motorists view of pedestrians, i.e. pedestrian barriers, or railings.

7. There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft) from the lower edge of any poster to ground level and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.

8. A maximum of two posters per candidate is permitted on any lamp or standard pole.

9. Political parties/independent candidates are reminded that no claims for damages arising from placing, displaying or removal of their posters will lie with the Council and they may consider it appropriate to take out Public Liability Insurance in this regard.

Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act, 1997 prosecutions may be initiated.

After a brief discussion during which John Guckian answered Members queries, the Councillors requested that the Manager examine the possibility of implementing a scheme similar to Dublin City Council’s system whereby posters are removed at a cost to the parties. J. Guckian AGREED to come back to the Members with a report on the feasibility of this scheme in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

This may brighten up your day.

There was a guy(although parked on a roundabout) removing election posters from a directional sign.

It might be argued he could be taking down the competition but lets say for a moment he was removing their own stupidly placed signs then we are getting somewhere and some system somewhere actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Odd how its illegal for us in some counties to put up for sale signs on cars by the side of the road, yet campaigners can plaster every pole in the county with their shiny mugs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TheKnowledge

I know this is a bit beside the point but did anyone see the Funderland posters on groody roundabout coming from UL. To see the traffic coming around the roundabout you have to put the nose of the car into the line of traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I know this is a bit beside the point but did anyone see the Funderland posters on groody roundabout coming from UL. To see the traffic coming around the roundabout you have to put the nose of the car into the line of traffic!

I did notice that "The Knowledge" only 15 minutes ago. Big A*s sign so you cannot see through the poles of the sign which were badly placed anyway as it was.

*best of luck with your car hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I wonder.........is anyone breaking the law if they
    are to remove them?

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

bullets wrote: »
    I wonder.........is anyone breaking the law if they
    are to remove them?

~B

removing anyones poster is illegal. it is stealing and vandalising. anyone caught doing so will be penalised to the full extent of the law!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

has anybody seen these tom short posters they are pretty big its like graffiti writing ?? Is this a real election fella or is it a piss take ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Paulegend wrote: »
    removing anyones poster is illegal. it is stealing and vandalising. anyone caught doing so will be penalised to the full extent of the law!!!

(Disclaimer: I've not intention of touching any of these crap posters on every feckin light pole that irritate me so...
    im just teasing out a point for discussion )

If someone was to remove the posters is there an actual
    Irish Law that states someplace its against the law to do so. Just why is its vandalising or stealing?

It would be my opinion that the Vandal's would be the
    people that are putting the things there in the first place.

What I am getting at is..Have politicians got some sort
    of special rights that normal Joe soaps dont have when it
    comes to putting up these posters ?

Whats stopping me If I wanted from putting up my own
    posters etc on every lamp poll if I wanted to?

When the Circus or Funderland comes to town and they
    put up posters on Lamp polls is that OK? what happens when they leave town? who takes the posters down?
    Do they need special permission to put them up in the first place. Is it breaking the law
    if you remove a Funderland advertisement or are you just breaking the law if you remove a
    local politicians poster?

Further more if the posters are posters are in breach of the litter and pollution act
    its not illegal to clean up litter is it?

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

If I come across a poster thats causing an obstruction and could possibly cause an accident, you are telling me that I cant remove it?....now thats what I call shiny sh*t. And please dont tell me that those putting up these posters are considerate, just take a drive around fella.

It seems that your posters dont cause a distraction, however if private citizens were to put up posters we need planning permission?????

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jesusofnaz

Colm Bourke looks like a stupider Dubya in his posters, that's gotta be against some law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i see plenty of the rules above being broken.. the killmallock roundabout by st endas has loads of posters below the two metres and loads on roadtraffic signs..also the traffic lights by supermacs up near roxboro is a total discrace..

Just because these people are running for election does that give them the right to break laws..

A few years back i recieved a fine for placing posters for a club on some poles and stuff.. And they were pretty swift about dealing with me.. at the time i didnt realise i was breaking any laws as i always see posters everywhere..

It was funny to see an election candidate in the post couple weeks ago saying how great he was removing club posters from empty shopfronts which these people created (opera centre debacle) yet now when i drive around his FU**ING stupid face is on half the poles in limerick!!

one law for them, one law for us.

Advertisement