Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deaf dogs

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi i have a new dog who is deaf. im looking for anyone who has had a deaf dog or has one who would share some advice on training etc. i have a few books and am starting training classes but nothing like advice that is first hand. she is 3 months and a joy to have just want to do the best i can for her. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Hi Bonny

Congrats on the new arrival! What breed is she?

I have a blind dog, who is now going deaf too!

You will have no problem training her with hand signals and touch.

I am sure you will get lots of good advice here, as well as taking classes.

Good luck with her and keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bonnygirl

hi ah it must be hard havin a blind dog that is goin deaf.. her mam was a yorkie dont know the father she is white. a hugh personality and full of life. will do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There was a deaf Dalmation on, I think it was, Pet Rescue or some such programme yonks ago. They were having trouble calling the dog back so they got a pair of extra large white gloves and used them to wave at the dog to get the dogs attention. Obviously a deaf dog shouldn't be allowed off lead unless the area is completly safe because they won't hear you calling them back if they run after something.

I took in some white cats many moons ago and one was completly deaf so I used a torch light to call her over, it worked brilliantly and works in the daylight too. So perhaps a strong torch or something like that and when the dog sees it you encourage the dog over to you and give the pooch a treat when she does come back so she associates the light with coming back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Morrisd4

Hi this is bonniegirl I had to set up new username etc as couldn't remember what I logged in as,it's 2 yrs later and everything went amazing, I learned alot,she now know about 20 hand signals& is very happy& lively little one& very clever thanks for all your advice x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Don't suppose you're the same person who did a deaf dog training class with Siobhan 2 years ago?? 3 of us, a puppy called bonny (you?), dalmation and a terrier.

• Advertisement

Ye that's me:-) how are u all getting along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Ahhh!!! Mine was the little terrier! She's getting on great, I'm doing agility with her which has mixed success and I regularily lose her in the back garden when she finds somewhere new to sleep :D

Ah ye I remember her to cute:) agility fair play,mine never leaves my side to get lost always has an eye on me,had a bit of separation anxiety for a while but all fine now:) that's to funny that she just hides away asleep bless, hope the damnation is doin good the poor thing didn't hav the best start.good to hear u and yours r doing well

Advertisement