Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Pay mobile broadband France

Options
  • 20-05-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello, anyone got any experience of buying, using and cost of dongle & SIM for use in a laptop in France, which operator is most cost effective, I will be there for 4 weeks in August. Frank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

cabinpac wrote: »
    Hello, anyone got any experience of buying, using and cost of dongle & SIM for use in a laptop in France, which operator is most cost effective, I will be there for 4 weeks in August. Frank

If its an irish one your thinking of getting I would advise against it. Data roaming is not cheap with any provider

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

cabinpac wrote: »

Check Orange shops in France: they are selling 'takeaway' dongles provided by some virtual operator, with a certain amount of data included.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

I was looking at this yesterday as I'm off for two weeks to France next week.

Orange and SFR would probably be your best bet, both are ofering a pre-pay modem for €69, including some free access time (Orange 2 hours, SFR 3 hours - the French market works on selling actual time spent browsing).. after that you can buy the following recharges;

SFR
    20 min €3 (valid 1 day)
    1 hour €7 (valid 15 days)
    3 hours €16 (valid 15 days)
    8 hours €26 (valid 15 days)
    15 hours €39 (valid 30 days)
    or 1 Day (until Midnight) €9
    SFR Pass Internet 3G+ http://is.gd/UkLl

Orange
    20 min €3 (valid 1 day)
    1 hour €8 (valid 1 month)
    2 hours €14 (valid 1 month
    6 hours €25 (valid 1 month)
    Orange Internet Everywhere (sans engagement) http://is.gd/Ulf8

Much of a muchness on price, the advantage to Orange is that the top-up is valid for one month rather than 2 weeks. Both operators have an offer on the modem for €39, however I think this is online only.

I kind of like the idea of purchasing actual time browsing rather than in Ireland having to pay for a day when you may only need to go online for 10-15 minutes.

Advertisement